Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I am 58, and could not get up with the legs crossed. Not worried, as I still run 3 miles 4-5 times a week, and also work out with weights. All my life, I have never been comfortable sitting cross-legged. Never have been very flexible.
This is why no single exercise like that is ever going to address every individual. People are built differently and some exercises and movements are much difficult for some than others. As an example, Johnny Carson, who was never a real athletic type, could supposedly do push ups until the cows came home. For me, that has ALWAYS been a difficult exercise, even when I was in peak shape, martial arts and exercise 5 days/week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 09:32 AM

134 posts, read 158,271 times
I can do it at 60, but I had trouble last year, before I started regularly stretching my lower back. that's stiffened up in age. The part I had trouble with was leaning forward enough while seated before pushing off the ground to achieve the standing position. So yep, flexibility is a large part.

Getting older, that's the motivation to get out and run every other day. Use it or lose it, and I want to retain mobility as long as I can and be as independent as possible.

I think it's a good, quick test to give you a heads up on what you *can* work on, if you so desire.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
In my late 40s I was carrying a 70 lb back pack in search and rescue @ 7000 ft elevation and all night long many times . I ran 5 miles every morning before work and that was on boats ,lots of heavy work all day long.
All that wear and tear finally got to me and my back and legs are paying for it.
Though I try and stay active @ 68 years, My back pack is only 40 lbs now and I walk 5 miles in stead of running.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
How can you have something like this and not take into account things like prior injuries, etc? In 1983 my cruciate ligament and meniscus were both badly damaged in a motorcycle accident. Since that time, doing maneuvers like those seen in the video are impossible. In fact, laying in bed without pain, sometimes is impossible. I has almost nothing to do with my age.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:55 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Another great test is the "Burpee Test"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBHkVnOVfM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement