U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:15 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times

Advertisements

1 year ago I could do this all day long.

I just tried it and failed. 1 year.

I believe I have computereze - too much sitting and not enough moving. I also believe the older you get the faster you will lose these abilities if you don't keep at it. Use it or lose it.

Great test Jean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:57 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,697,051 times
I can't do it.

But I can sit in the lotus position and do backwards somersaults across the floor. Try that Mr. You're Gonna Die!!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM

13,695 posts, read 8,604,875 times
Nah...You're going to live about as long as your parents did, modified by things that are accidental and some Black Swan events..

Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,124,258 times
I can't do it yet I exercise (stair step, elliptical and treadmill) 6 days at the Y. Plus I attend yoga class. Now when I am at yoga, there are certain exercises or stretches that I can only go so far. However, there are other attendees that have awesome flexibility. Looking at them gives me the feeling that I would crack or tear something. I agree with others that it may have more to do with flexibility than strength.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM

1,165 posts, read 653,408 times
I stood cross legged and got really scared. But I tried it and got a few inches from the ground and plop went down. Getting up, nope couldn't budge and had to go forward onto my knees and up from there. I'm a gonner.

Well, I know I have a strength problem and have been working on several things. I now get up from chairs without using the arms and my legs are getting stronger. I am working on balance, I stand at the sink on one foot at a time and balance. It is getting easier. I'm dieting and losing weight and trying to get on the elliptical when I have time. So, I might be going down, but I'll go down trying!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:03 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can't do it.

But I can sit in the lotus position and do backwards somersaults across the floor. Try that Mr. You're Gonna Die!!

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Old 01-06-2016, 04:38 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,677,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
1 year ago I could do this all day long.

I just tried it and failed. 1 year.

I believe I have computereze - too much sitting and not enough moving. I also believe the older you get the faster you will lose these abilities if you don't keep at it. Use it or lose it.

Great test Jean.

It struck a chord with me and I was almost afraid to try it at first. I realized before we started snowbirding that I wasn't getting up and down from the floor as well as I thought I should a few years ago. I walked the dog miles every day and was fit that way but knew I wasn't as agile as before. I'm on the floor with the grandkids now, sitting and playing and have improved a lot, but can improve my agility and strength more.

It's another use it or lose it thing to be aware of. If you never had it, it doesn't matter, but if you could before and can't now, it's can be a wake up call.

Edit to add: Thanks Umbria! I hoped someone else would get value out of the test for themselves; my work here is done.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-06-2016 at 05:13 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 AM

8,625 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I came across the Sit Rise Test (SRT) this morning.

Being able to sit to a seated position on the floor and rise back up is a simple predictor of all-cause mortality and longevity. Hip, knee and back problems will exclude some from doing this, but for those who can, it's easy or maybe not so easy to do.

I scored a 6 and have work to do. Like drawing a face clock to check cognition/memory, this is a simple test to do at home. They do advise having a spotter if you aren't sure about your abilities.

There are several articles to be found on this, here's one:The Sitting-Rising Test: what’s your score? | Heart Sisters

And a video from YouTube for those who like visuals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbffQj2xM

Okay, I did it. Felt silly. lol BUT I got a 9. I do this stuff at work every day. Okay, not exactly sitting but I do a LOT of stooping, bending and squatting, mostly to scan stuff in the bottom of shopping carts. Sometimes I straighten up so fast I get dizzy! I'm small, agile and move pretty fast. I don't believe this is an indicator of longevity though. Too many other factors to consider.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,080,096 times
I got a 9 - but . . . it doesn't take into consideration those of us who have ankle/knee/hip/back issues which preclude contortions on the floor! I'm very fit from the fitness program I do, but there are limits to what gymnastics I can do. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my 9 and there's no way I could ever score a 10. Gotta use that one arm to get up. Will be interesting how I do a year from now. It certainly provides food for thought.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:03 PM

747 posts, read 485,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can't do it.

LOL! I also noticed in the video that "Mr. You're Gonna Die" didn't do the sit and rise himself...or did I miss that?

I can sit in the lotus position, but backwards somersaults? I'm impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or