U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM

18,636 posts, read 9,625,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I came across the Sit Rise Test (SRT) this morning.

Being able to sit to a seated position on the floor and rise back up is a simple predictor of all-cause mortality and longevity. Hip, knee and back problems will exclude some from doing this, but for those who can, it's easy or maybe not so easy to do.

I scored a 6 and have work to do. Like drawing a face clock to check cognition/memory, this is a simple test to do at home. They do advise having a spotter if you aren't sure about your abilities.

There are several articles to be found on this, here's one:The Sitting-Rising Test: what’s your score? | Heart Sisters

And a video from YouTube for those who like visuals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbffQj2xM
Thanks to my yoga regimen, I can do this even after drinking a couple glasses of wine....I'm still trying to improve my yoga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 AM

4,455 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Never tried this, but at 79, I could go from flat on my back to standing at attention in four seconds. It was not a good predictor of not having a stroke, and now i can't get up at all.

My wife is 52, can do this test with a 9 -- pops back up quickly but needs to touch the floor with her fingertips.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,079,350 times
I felt sure my yoga fiend friend would ace this but she wasn't much better than me. We both got a 9. Both almost 63.

You notice the gal in the video who does it so easily appears to be maybe in her 30's. Let's see a clip of a 60 year old doing it.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 AM

56,213 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I felt sure my yoga fiend friend would ace this but she wasn't much better than me. We both got a 9. Both almost 63.

You notice the gal in the video who does it so easily appears to be maybe in her 30's. Let's see a clip of a 60 year old doing it.
Yes! I thought the same thing. At least have the decency to use a model to whom the people who are watching the vid can relate. It's just like "plus-size" catalogs that show the clothing on stick-figure models.

I'm sure there are those who can do it, but I bet there is grunting involved.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,755 times
This sit rise test depends quite a bit on body types.

Many small and lightly built people have no problems doing it with or without any yoga training.

I am 5'2"with weights between 95-102 lbs and have always scored 10 points up to now at 67. My husband is 6' with a medium body build (weights between 160-175 lbs) and could never sit down flat on the floor let alone rising from a sit down position.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 AM

44 posts, read 13,879 times
This is a stupid test. Means nothing.

I got 10- seemed very easy. I'm 50-something.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM

3,478 posts, read 1,546,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'll be able to do it just fine as soon as I have both my knees replaced
Sorry to break this to you, but your squatting/crouching/kneeling days are over, with knee replacements.
You'll miss that too.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 AM

1,688 posts, read 580,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
How true.

As for me, I couldn't even begin to do it. Because I need to have my feet in shoes/orthotics any time that weight needs to be placed on my right heel, I had to try it with shoes on. The most I could manage was to lower myself into a semi squatting position, very uncomfortably.

But I have never had great balance even as a young person and have always needed an adjacent handrail when going up or down any steps or stairs. Watching someone go up or down stairs "freehand" always mystifies me because if it's got more than one or two treads I am very uncertain on it. A single step stool is fine but if it has two or more I must have one hand on something solid in order to feel secure. This has been a lifelong thing, not age related.

I do think that some people just don't have as good a sense of balance as others. It took me much longer than any of the other kids to learn to ride a 2-wheeler, I barely managed four-wheel roller skates (no way I could ever manage rollerblades or ice skakes although I did attempt them), and I was probably in 5th or 6th grade before I was confident enough on stairs to take them one-foot-per-step. Needless to say, I don't do ladders LOL

Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM

3,478 posts, read 1,546,706 times
I used to be able to do this, but since the artificial joints, I avoid the floor at all costs.

DH is skinny and flexible as can be, squats a lot, but can't do it without limb help.

Longevity is not a goal of mine, so I can live with this deficiency, LOL.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM

4,002 posts, read 2,552,498 times
I go to a big church with stadium seating and long stairs. I saw a little girl run up those stairs full speed. We can't do lots of things we could do when younger.
At 76 I'm very aware my balance is poor, I'm alarmed that if you can't do this test it says your life expectancy is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or