Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times

Advertisements

I came across the Sit Rise Test (SRT) this morning.

Being able to sit to a seated position on the floor and rise back up is a simple predictor of all-cause mortality and longevity. Hip, knee and back problems will exclude some from doing this, but for those who can, it's easy or maybe not so easy to do.

I scored a 6 and have work to do. Like drawing a face clock to check cognition/memory, this is a simple test to do at home. They do advise having a spotter if you aren't sure about your abilities.

There are several articles to be found on this, here's one:The Sitting-Rising Test: what’s your score? | Heart Sisters

And a video from YouTube for those who like visuals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbffQj2xM

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-05-2016 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i am in very good shape and can squat fairly large amounts of weight as well as run 4 miles every other day .

i can't seem to do this for anything .

guess i am a goner ha ha ha

Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Here's more from a 2012 article from Prevention magazine: Simple Flexibility Test Might Predict Lifespan | Prevention

This quote from the article might explain why your having problems:
Quote:
So how does your ability to move from standing to sitting correlate with longevity? It’s all because your musculoskeletal fitness—your body flexibility, balance, muscle strength, and coordination—is an important indicator of your overall health, and has a favorable influence on life expectancy. “People tend to focus on aerobic exercise, which is important, but that should not be your only priority,” Araújo says.

Look, if you can’t pass the test with flying colors, don’t freak out. Instead, focus on improving your overall fitness and your flexibility.
And do notice the article title: Might predict lifespan. Add a yoga class at your gym maybe? If the flexibility doesn't improve your lifespan, it might have a good side effect in the bedroom.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-05-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times
Did it early in the morning when I was still stiff like a rodeo cowboy. Was able to do it without touching anything but had a little wobble on the standup. If I can remember, I'll try later in the day after a workout when I'm at my prime.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Being of small frame and quite flexible, I can do this test easily and have no doubt that I can still do it 20/30 years from now as long as I don't have any broken bones or not being crippled by arthritis.

My husband has a much bigger frame with a bad ankle so there is no way that he could pass the test even in his youthful prime days.

I don't think that any single test can be a good predictor of mortality and longevity. Yes, there can be some correlation between physical strength, fitness and flexibility with health condition, but nobody can say that people who could not pass this 'simple' test is not strong, fit and flexible (bone structure and injuries are major contributing factors too) and likely to die early!

What about other medical factors affecting mortality and longevity like heart disease, diabetes and cancer? People can get perfect score on this test but with sky high cholesterol and A1C level. Cancer can strike anyone including trim, fit, strong athletes.

This is not to say that the test has no merits. Everybody should do their best to be strong, fit and as flexible as possible. Having a good core strength and agile can help to prevent injuries but I very much doubt that my mortality depends on my score.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
can somebody come over and help me up

Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Being of small frame and quite flexible, I can do this test easily and have no doubt that I can still do it 20/30 years from now as long as I don't have any broken bones or not being crippled by arthritis.

My husband has a much bigger frame with a bad ankle so there is no way that he could pass the test even in his youthful prime days.

I don't think that any single test can be a good predictor of mortality and longevity. Yes, there can be some correlation between physical strength, fitness and flexibility with health condition, but nobody can say that people who could not pass this 'simple' test is not strong, fit and flexible (bone structure and injuries are major contributing factors too) and likely to die early!

What about other medical factors affecting mortality and longevity like heart disease, diabetes and cancer? People can get perfect score on this test but with sky high cholesterol and A1C level. Cancer can strike anyone including trim, fit, strong athletes.

This is not to say that the test has no merits. Everybody should do their best to be strong, fit and as flexible as possible. Having a good core strength and agile can help to prevent injuries but I very much doubt that my mortality depends on my score.
No it doesn't work for those with physical impairments that can't do it and it may not be a predictor for you, but for many not in good musculoskeletal-skeletal shape, trying this may be a wake up call for them. It's easy, doesn't require a doctors visit or battery of tests and can be a starting point towards better health, or at least the aspects of health that can be controlled or improved. It's one more tool to use, and I don't believe it was presented as the only one. Here's a quote from the researcher and it's a simple concept:

Quote:
In an interview via Skype from his home in Rio, he said the idea for SRT came from observing his older, sedentary patients who could pass basic aerobic tests.

"Many of them are able to bike or to run on a treadmill," said Dr. Araujo, "but if you asked them could you tie your shoes, it's pretty difficult to do that. We realized not only aerobic fitness is important. You also need other things for your life: strength, flexibility, balance."

The goal is to get down and back up from a sitting position with minimal support. It can be used in all age groups, and results are based on a scale of one to 10. Score three or less and your risk of dying is five times greater over the next five years.
Being in better physical shape will improve the odds of getting cancer, diabetes or coronary disease but isn't a predictor of those. My feeling is, if someone scores 1-3 (and have no physical impairments) on this test, they may well be on their way to these diseases.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-05-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Some cultures do lots of squatting and sitting on floors (e.g. Asian).

Others not so much.

This may mean innate advantages for some doing this test.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
I could do 35 in a minute. The one about getting up from the floor without using your hands, forget it.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I've never been very flexible, wouldn't have been able to do this even as a youngster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement