U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:23 PM

7,286 posts, read 4,158,066 times

Advertisements

I find I'm still annoyed by some of the things old people do. Like writing a check at the store when the line is really long. Who still writes a check for their groceries?! An ATM or credit card is much faster and easier. But what really drives me crazy (no pun intended) are those slowpoke drivers. I've always been an impatient driver and even in my 60's I hate being stuck behind a slowpoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:36 PM

12,733 posts, read 14,097,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I find I'm still annoyed by some of the things old people do. Like writing a check at the store when the line is really long. Who still writes a check for their groceries?! An ATM or credit card is much faster and easier. But what really drives me crazy (no pun intended) are those slowpoke drivers. I've always been an impatient driver and even in my 60's I hate being stuck behind a slowpoke.
Were these also your perceptions when you were young?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,292 times
Well, because it is obviously impossible, I will buck this "old is great" trend and say, "Nope, wish I was in my 20s again". And I'm only 58 and in perfect health and comfortably successful. I think I would trade 2 years of old age for a year in my 20s in a heartbeat. I've had an awesome life, and my only regret is not being more wild and taking more chances and do the traveling on a shoestring when I wouldn't have cared and was not responsible to anyone but myself. But I married the first time too young and the constant worry of not being successful and falling behind and possibly unable to have a secure retirement was in my mind from the beginning. Now that I'm here, I fully realize that taking a year or two off wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans in the long run. I had plenty of experience with old and older people, but none were particularly wise or wisdom imparting. I didn't have an older relative that said to me "If I were you, with your talent and brains, I'd have a blast now, and not worry about the future". Would it have made a difference? No way to know, now.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I am 71 and I also get irritated by those very same things. Good post.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When I was a little boy, I wondered why those old people walked so slowly....

Now I know.
I am 71 and I still walk the same speed. I have a theory about why some old people walk more slowly - because they acquiese in it themselves. If they got on a treadmill regularly, they could keep up a given speed because the treadmill can be set right to the tenth of a mile per hour. Our bodies do what they are used to doing, and when we stop doing that given thing, whether it be climbing stairs or something else, then sooner or later we will lose the ability to do that thing.

And no, I am not divorced from reality, so I will mention that I realize that eventually there is some slowing and some decline; my point is that the slowing and the decline do not have to come as soon or be as marked as they are all too frequently.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM

7,286 posts, read 4,158,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Were these also your perceptions when you were young?

You bet they were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or