Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times

Advertisements

I was told using the term widow was outdated? Is this true and if this is true what am I??? I know I am single, but, for some weird reason I hate to invalidate my entire marriage as if it never existed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:21 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Of course the term isn't outdated. You are free to consider yourself however is the most comfortable for you.
That is just as bad as someone telling you how you "should feel", when they are not the ones faced with a situation.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Hmm widow is outdated? Try telling that to the IRS lol

Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
No, it's definitely not outdated. I'm a widow. I see it on various forms all the time.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Well, being divorced I don't choose that option because it doesn't seem to be anyone's business - I use the "single" option. What do you do if you've been divorced or widowed and then remarry - both divorced/widowed AND married would be correct.

Use whatever you feel best describes you. I'll bet many use widowed at first and perhaps more switch to single later, especially if widowed at an early age?

Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM

483 posts, read 665,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Hmm widow is outdated? Try telling that to the IRS lol
Or to the black widow that was spinning a web outside our patio door. Time to call the exterminator...again.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, being divorced I don't choose that option because it doesn't seem to be anyone's business - I use the "single" option. What do you do if you've been divorced or widowed and then remarry - both divorced/widowed AND married would be correct.

Use whatever you feel best describes you. I'll bet many use widowed at first and perhaps more switch to single later, especially if widowed at an early age?
Good point. I've been widowed since I was 37...and sure did hate that word back then. After so many years, I now consider myself more "single" than "widowed", especially once I was widowed more years than I had been married.

However, I don't understand this "outdated" business. To the original poster, refer to yourself however you like. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I don't know how a valid word for someone's marital status could be outdated. If YOU personally don't like the word, call yourself single. Same with "divorced". I never listed myself as divorced. Once I was divorced, I called myself single.

I find it kind of odd when a divorced person calls themselves a widow or widower after their ex dies. If they aren't your spouse when they die, I don't think you're a widow or widower. Seems sort of like they are going for sympathy or to upgrade their status somehow. I don't know why, just bugs me.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I was told using the term widow was outdated? Is this true and if this is true what am I??? I know I am single, but, for some weird reason I hate to invalidate my entire marriage as if it never existed
If someone told my Mother "Oh you're not a widow, you're single now" she'd have slapped them with a family picture and said "Oh? And what the @#$%^& is this then?.....

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
If someone told my Mother "Oh you're not a widow, you're single now" she'd have slapped them with a family picture and said "Oh? And what the @#$%^& is this then?.....
Exactly! I was widowed at forty one with three children to raise. I may have been single but I was also a widow.

OP, I can't imagine anyone telling you that widow is outdated, that is truly moronic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement