U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:45 AM

71,507 posts, read 71,674,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Don't want to jinx myself - but our last 3 main vehicles were Lexuses (2 sedans and now an SUV). And they lasted pretty much with no problems for 6-10 years. We bought our current one at the end of 2009 - and it is still going strong. Our general rule of thumb is to keep the cars until they're off warranty and have their first major problem.* Then we trade them in. We used to have 2 vehicles (1 was a pickup truck or a basic utility vehicle). We downsized to 1 car in 2009 when we bought the Lexus SUV. Haven't regretted that move. We really don't need 2 vehicles and our days of hauling loads of dirt or similar in a pick up truck are over.

I don't think most retired people will only have 1 car in retirement unless they die pretty young. My father - now 97 - has had 2 since he moved here in 2006. And - even if people manage to get by with 1 car - they will need things like new tires (good ones aren't cheap). Insurance too. The costs of owning a car are more than simply the price of the car.

BTW - one thing to consider when buying cars is our physical needs as we get older. Like it's hard for some older people to get into cars where the seats are higher (like SUVs). Visibility features are important too - as some people find it harder to turn their heads around. A back up camera is essential these days IMO for everyone - but especially older people. Robyn

*My husband once developed an inordinate attachment to one of his pick up trucks and foolishly (IMO and in retrospect in his opinion) had a couple of expensive repairs done on it (including putting in a new drive train). Last time he/we will make a mistake like that.
you should see our out of shape friends getting in to my lifted 4 door jeep sahara . they hang on for dear life and try to boost themselves in .

i actually find it harder getting in to my bmw which has a low cockpit then climbing up in to the wrangler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you should see our out of shape friends getting in to my lifted 4 door jeep sahara . they hang on for dear life and try to boost themselves in .

i actually find it harder getting in to my bmw which has a low cockpit then climbing up in to the wrangler
Don't be snarky. If you get old enough (you're not even officially a senior yet - 65 ) - you won't be able to climb into your vehicle either. Even if you're in good shape. We had to buy a car step stool so my father can get into our SUV (he's in very good shape for his age - works out on his stationary bike every day - but he's 97).

The population is getting older. Which is why a product like this is out of stock at Walmart:

HandyBar - Walmart.com

Robyn

Old 01-09-2016, 04:24 PM

71,507 posts, read 71,674,131 times
the sad part is our friends are younger than us and have trouble .

Old 01-09-2016, 04:58 PM

673 posts, read 2,028,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
More and more of them have electronic features that become obsolete - our 2010 Toyota RAV4 has a Bluetooth system that interfaced well with my circa 2010 phone. My circa 2015 phone - not so much, features that worked (like ringer volume control) on the old phone don't work with the newer phone. A friend's car of about the same year came with in-dash navigation and the maps are too old now and there is no way to update them - you might be able to go to the dealer, but you'll pay full dealer service rate for that, if it is even possible.

The little GM electric car I am leasing has onboard wifi, a bunch of apps, newer Bluetooth and I wonder, 3 years from now when the lease ends, how much of that will work with more modern apps and devices.
I have a 2009 Lincoln MKZ, with in-dash GPS, Lincoln kept sending me offers for new update disks at $200. I went on e-bay and got the update for $29. Works great, and simple to install. The MKZ is a great car, and thinking about getting another one.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:31 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the sad part is our friends are younger than us and have trouble .
When people let themselves go, a pathetic decline can set in amazingly early. It's difficult to imagine someone under age 70 having trouble getting into a Jeep or into an SUV, but I don't think you're lying about it. I would consider your friends crippled, or disabled. Hell, it's difficult to imagine someone under age 75 having trouble with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement