U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 PM

852 posts, read 1,821,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The one couple we know who moved up to Stuart did so for the boating/fishing (the area wasn't/isn't cheap but it was cheaper than points south). We're not boaters - so the area didn't interest us. Stuart still isn't just around the corner from Palm Beach County. And - like I mentioned - the traffic is bad. If I was interested in that part of Florida - I'd start looking in parts of Palm Beach County that are closer to things. Now would be a good time to visit if you want to see what things look like "in season".

BTW - it is hard to overestimate the impact of traffic on one's lifestyle in that part of the world. Last time I spent a fair amount of time in the area was in 2005 when my mother was sick/dying. When I tried to get to the Town Center Mall (in Boca Raton) a few times just to break things up - it often took me 45 minutes or more to drive the 10 miles to the mall. Totally nuts. Robyn
I saw that Stuart has a pretty extensive downtown with a fair amount of shopping and nice restaurants. In addition there seems to be a wide choice of golf communities near by. Seems to me there's enough going on to attract non boater types too. Am I off here? Or missing something? Also can you get your weekly needs met without having to travel to West Palm Beach
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:29 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I saw that Stuart has a pretty extensive downtown with a fair amount of shopping and nice restaurants. In addition there seems to be a wide choice of golf communities near by. Seems to me there's enough going on to attract non boater types too. Am I off here? Or missing something? Also can you get your weekly needs met without having to travel to West Palm Beach
I must admit I haven't been to downtown Stuart in the last 8-10 years or so - but it still seems to be what I remember. An assortment of "cutesy" stores (the kind of places men hate ) and small local restaurants:

Stuart, Florida's historic downtown. Shopping, restaurants...Historic Downtown Stuart | Downtown Business Association of Stuart, Inc.

Like downtown Fernandina Beach. I don't know anything about the quality of the restaurants (there's one excellent one in downtown Fernandina Beach - but it's more the exception than the general rule).

There are tons of golf communities all over Florida. These days - with declining interest in golf - I would be wary of any "golf community" where I was locked into a particular golf course/club in a particular HOA - as opposed to finding an area with many local options to choose from. It can take a fair amount of time to investigate all of the golf options in particular areas because many are dense with courses (we have 6 golf clubs with a total of 9 courses within 5 miles of our house - I know what's going on in them - but don't have a clue what's going on in the Stuart area). It's important to keep in mind that many golf clubs are "morphing" these days from older membership models to newer ones so they can stay afloat. So you really have to do some digging. Also - one's needs/wants may change over the years. We belonged to one club here for 10 years - then switched to another which suited us better when our needs/wants changed.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to golf in south Florida areas with lots of snowbirds is play conditions are very seasonal. Courses are often super duper crowded "in season" - expensive too. Play can be *very* slow. OTOH - many courses are empty - cheap as well - in the summer. We used to go on summer weekend golf trips to places like the Breakers in Palm Beach when we lived in Miami. We liked that course because it was on the ocean (it's called the Ocean Course ) - and therefore a bit cooler/breezier than courses inland. We also played another course on the ocean in Palm Beach a few years ago - this world class par 3 course - Palm Beach Par 3 Golf Course. In the summer. When it was empty. Don't think I'd enjoy playing courses like this in the winter.

Overall there's really no substitute for taking a few trips to places you're interested in and exploring them yourself. In high season - low season - allergy season (if you have allergies - we don't) - etc. If you're interested in golf - then you have to play the courses that might be of interest to you. See whether they suit your game - what course conditions are - whether the maintenance looks good - what the pace of play is like - etc.

Finally - when it comes to things one does regularly - well I know there isn't a place in Florida where you can't throw a stone and hit a Publix grocery store. Publix is excellent for everyday food shopping. When it comes to other "regular" shopping - it depends what you do. We go to Costco once a week - and the nearest Costco there is in West Palm Beach. You also have to check on things like the availability/nature of medical services you need now or might reasonably need in the future. Especially in terms of doctors accepting new Medicare patients (which can be an issue/problem anywhere these days). Keep in mind that things like Medigap policies seem to cost a lot more in south Florida than they do in north Florida - about 40% more. Other insurance - everything from auto to homeowners' policies - can cost (a lot) more too. Property taxes vary from one county/municipality to another (I know they were higher in Miami/Dade and Broward counties than they are here - but don't know about the other counties in SE Florida). There are lots of things to go over/think about when you're relocating! Robyn

Old 01-16-2016, 08:02 AM

852 posts, read 1,821,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I must admit I haven't been to downtown Stuart in the last 8-10 years or so - but it still seems to be what I remember. An assortment of "cutesy" stores (the kind of places men hate ) and small local restaurants:

Stuart, Florida's historic downtown. Shopping, restaurants...Historic Downtown Stuart | Downtown Business Association of Stuart, Inc.

Like downtown Fernandina Beach. I don't know anything about the quality of the restaurants (there's one excellent one in downtown Fernandina Beach - but it's more the exception than the general rule).

There are tons of golf communities all over Florida. These days - with declining interest in golf - I would be wary of any "golf community" where I was locked into a particular golf course/club in a particular HOA - as opposed to finding an area with many local options to choose from. It can take a fair amount of time to investigate all of the golf options in particular areas because many are dense with courses (we have 6 golf clubs with a total of 9 courses within 5 miles of our house - I know what's going on in them - but don't have a clue what's going on in the Stuart area). It's important to keep in mind that many golf clubs are "morphing" these days from older membership models to newer ones so they can stay afloat. So you really have to do some digging. Also - one's needs/wants may change over the years. We belonged to one club here for 10 years - then switched to another which suited us better when our needs/wants changed.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to golf in south Florida areas with lots of snowbirds is play conditions are very seasonal. Courses are often super duper crowded "in season" - expensive too. Play can be *very* slow. OTOH - many courses are empty - cheap as well - in the summer. We used to go on summer weekend golf trips to places like the Breakers in Palm Beach when we lived in Miami. We liked that course because it was on the ocean (it's called the Ocean Course ) - and therefore a bit cooler/breezier than courses inland. We also played another course on the ocean in Palm Beach a few years ago - this world class par 3 course - Palm Beach Par 3 Golf Course. In the summer. When it was empty. Don't think I'd enjoy playing courses like this in the winter.

Overall there's really no substitute for taking a few trips to places you're interested in and exploring them yourself. In high season - low season - allergy season (if you have allergies - we don't) - etc. If you're interested in golf - then you have to play the courses that might be of interest to you. See whether they suit your game - what course conditions are - whether the maintenance looks good - what the pace of play is like - etc.

Finally - when it comes to things one does regularly - well I know there isn't a place in Florida where you can't throw a stone and hit a Publix grocery store. Publix is excellent for everyday food shopping. When it comes to other "regular" shopping - it depends what you do. We go to Costco once a week - and the nearest Costco there is in West Palm Beach. You also have to check on things like the availability/nature of medical services you need now or might reasonably need in the future. Especially in terms of doctors accepting new Medicare patients (which can be an issue/problem anywhere these days). Keep in mind that things like Medigap policies seem to cost a lot more in south Florida than they do in north Florida - about 40% more. Other insurance - everything from auto to homeowners' policies - can cost (a lot) more too. Property taxes vary from one county/municipality to another (I know they were higher in Miami/Dade and Broward counties than they are here - but don't know about the other counties in SE Florida). There are lots of things to go over/think about when you're relocating! Robyn
All great points! Thanks for your insight.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM

5,060 posts, read 3,233,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
When I do retire, I'm looking more towards having one solid place (Washington) for the summer and then driving south during the winter...Maybe Austin one year, then Hobbs (NM) the next.....Possibly slab city (If it doesn't get more violent)

Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,351,921 times
Default Placeholder

Placeholder here

Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 PM

521 posts, read 339,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
My sister chose Florida while I chose Arizona - our family is in NJ - so many posts to read here - but I saw that some did state that aside from weather and lifestyle - more important is travel - you won't stay 100% of your time in either state - you'll want to go visit friends and family - or take trips - I'm here in AZ and I hate the summers here - what to do -? if I was in Florida I would be able to spend time with family in NJ or even go to Greece - but from AZ that is a very timely and expensive trip so haven't seen my family in over 2 years and it's hurting! I love living in AZ tremendously - but I really miss my family!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:56 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
My sister chose Florida while I chose Arizona - our family is in NJ - so many posts to read here - but I saw that some did state that aside from weather and lifestyle - more important is travel - you won't stay 100% of your time in either state - you'll want to go visit friends and family - or take trips - I'm here in AZ and I hate the summers here - what to do -? if I was in Florida I would be able to spend time with family in NJ or even go to Greece - but from AZ that is a very timely and expensive trip so haven't seen my family in over 2 years and it's hurting! I love living in AZ tremendously - but I really miss my family!!!
My brother lives in Scottsdale - works in California - and travels around the US on business. He is very fond of the Southwest Airlines frequent flyer program to use for things like visiting me/my husband and my father here in Florida on reward tickets. You might take a look at that program. Robyn

Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 20,993 times
Hello, are you still on Jean
I am wondering where you live for 8 months in FL. I am thinking of returning to FL but want a different, better searched plan before I go down again. Last time was pretty sugar coated to get me there. I ended up returning to MN and I do not want to do another winter here. I said that for 5-6 years, and went to FL. Only to return in time for late fall winter!!!!!
I still work, for a non profit so I am hoping I could get a transfer like I did last time. (Different company now).
I want to live and work in the SAME town. No more driving for an hour plus one way.
Any information you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you Barb
Looking at East coast area.....Melbourne, Cocoa, New Symrna, ?? open really.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM

1,373 posts, read 823,598 times
FL = Violent Crime

Old 02-12-2016, 12:48 PM

708 posts, read 504,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
FL = Violent Crime
?? Like they don' t have violent crime every where.
Violent is mostly associated where you live in a state and
what time you are out at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or