U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 PM

8,784 posts, read 7,704,486 times

Advertisements

Finding a cooler place than PHX is not hard in AZ. Flagstaff, Pescott, and Peyson are all posibilities, that average 10 or less for summer highs. Yes its cooler in winter but that's no big deal to us. Plus, having spent over 20 years combined on in NC and Texas, the additional heat of Arizona shouldn't be a big deal. What is worse is the humidity. We've lived now in Lubbock over 12 years, and the humidity difference from places like Dallas and NC is considerable. Plus what we also like about dry climates, is that once the sun goes down, it cools off much better than a humid climate. Plus my wife's allergies really reacted the last time she was in a hot and humid environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,790,486 times
"What part of Arizona are you talking about in terms of summer heat. Certainly not Phoenix. You get off the plane in Phoenix in August - it's like walking into a hair dryer set on high."

I'm absolutely talking about the Phoenix area. I'd take the summer heat there any day over the heat/humidity in Florida.

I admit, it was strange at first. My first night in AZ it was 98 degrees at midnight. I'd never experienced that before. But it really isn't that bad. There's a new invention called air conditioning.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:29 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
For us, it came down to a choice of high humidity or low or virtually no humidity. Having lived in Florida three times previously and having experienced walking from inside to outside and feeling like you're suddenly standing under a waterfall of humidity, we knew Florida would not be our retirement destination...
I agree with you that it's a high/low humidity thing. At age 70ish - I enjoy humidity. Don't have to spend a ton of money on skin creams/moisturizers. When I visit my brother in Arizona - it feels like my skin has shrunk 3 sizes! It gets all dry - and cracked in places as well. That happens in north Florida too in the winter when it gets cold - and the heat kicks in in the house. If we're having a bad winter - I run a humidifier. Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,014,518 times
Tried both, came back to FL. AZ is significantly cooler in winter and much hotter in summer, a lot of dust blows around both inside and out.

AZ was a good base to explore the west and down into Mexico. Cruise to Alaska was fun too.

I have to live where palm trees grow.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
"What part of Arizona are you talking about in terms of summer heat. Certainly not Phoenix. You get off the plane in Phoenix in August - it's like walking into a hair dryer set on high."

I'm absolutely talking about the Phoenix area. I'd take the summer heat there any day over the heat/humidity in Florida.

I admit, it was strange at first. My first night in AZ it was 98 degrees at midnight. I'd never experienced that before. But it really isn't that bad. There's a new invention called air conditioning.
Be prepared to pay a large chunk of change in electricity to run that AC spring through fall.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Tried both, came back to FL. AZ is significantly cooler in winter and much hotter in summer...
Guess it depends. My brother and I both live on the I-10 corridor (Scottsdale and Ponte Vedra Beach). Our winters are fairly similar in terms of temperature. In Scottsdale - it's a ton hotter in the summer (like 110) with less humidity. Here in PVB it's more like 90 with high humidity. Pick your poison . Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,790,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Be prepared to pay a large chunk of change in electricity to run that AC spring through fall.
I lived there for 10 years or so. I know all about the electric bills. Actually, depending on how your house is insulated, they won't necessarily be that bad.

Right now, I'm back in the eastern US. I'm sure that, one month this winter, I'll have an electric bill that's $900 or more. One way or another, you pay.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,660,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm not sure why you or others find it necessary to defend your imperfect climates.
You misconstrued what I wrote. I was making clear that the summers here in northern Fulton County GA are pleasant, far more pleasant than your summers in Ponte Vedra Beach FL, in contradiction to your insinuation earlier that they were comparable.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
Originally, wife is from outside Detroit, Mich. and I'm from northeastern Indiana. So, we both know what living in a "snow-belt" is like. We both lived, met and got married in So California, but I wanted to move to Colorado. Since she "did and didn't" get along with family, she totally agreed with the move.

Lived 24 miles south of downtown Denver. Had a lot of fun living there for 5 1/2 years, but the winters got to us. For us, boating/fishing, rodeo's, fairs, going to RMNP were just part of the fun we had.

We quit our jobs, sold our house and headed for North Carolina. Well, the town of Huntersville, NC was nice, and Lake Norman was "ok", but after wife got laid-off from her job a year later, we decided to check out Jacksonville, FL. for a week.

So, moved to Jax in Jan '09 and, believe it or not, are going to move back to Colorado. Hopefully be able to live around the same area we left. We thought we'd get use to the humidity here, but that just never really happened. As far as the boating/fishing here goes, we prefer freshwater lakes and most of the lakes in Florida are fairly shallow.

Anyway, both of us have got colds while living here, just like we did when living in Colorado. Thing is, I researched it and the higher altitude in Colorado is better for our arthritis pains than here. Plus, for us, there is much more to do on the Eastern Slope (what they call the Denver area there) than there is here. And, since we will both be retired when we go back, driving to work in "white-out" snow conditions won't happen!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 AM

484 posts, read 478,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
A study of crime statistics puts the city of Phoenix and the metro area in the list of the most dangerous cities to live in.

Is Phoenix Arizona Safe or Dangerous?

Just to be clear...the OP is asking for a comparison of Florida and Arizona. I'd like to point out that Arizona has other places to live than just Phoenix.

Having said that, I've lived in both states...Florida three times and Aizona twice. I'll never forget the day in Miami when I got up, took a shower, sat outside for about 15 minutes and was so covered in sweat from the humidity that I went in and took another shower. I stayed inside the rest of the day...didn't want to run up my water bill.

Memories...

Last edited by gbpakrfan; 01-07-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or