U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Reputation: 6716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
...but mold is not an issue out in the low desert(unless one has an issue in their house of course from a flood/leak)...
Mold shouldn't be a problem in any reasonably well built/maintained house in any part of the country that is kept at reasonable temperatures. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I currently live in South Florida and have a home in Phoenix and live in both places throughout the year...
I think the problem is you're comparing the Phoenix metro area with the Miami-Dade metro area. Which are only parts of relatively big states. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Washington
31 posts, read 37,114 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've lived in Texas almost the same amount of time. We are just a few degrees cooler than DFW typically in the summer, but the difference in the amount of humidity in the air makes west Texas much more bearable.
I imagine it's what one is used to. I moved to Dallas from Toronto and found DFW to be very dry. All my allergies to molds and fungi (in Toronto), didn't bother me in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Washington
31 posts, read 37,114 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My nephew lives just outside of Olympia in Lacey, Wa. It's a handy location but he is always complaining, about serious traffic tie ups in and out of the region. I guess he means I-5.
Hmm. I have been leaning toward Olympia/Lacey, WA because of their location. I too have heard I-5 can be a bit problematic. At some point I might consider finding a rental for a couple of months to get a better idea. I have driven through that region a few times and it does seem lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:45 PM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Reputation: 20076
Different strokes for different folks.

I spent two weeks in Florida and it took me about 45 minutes to decide that Florida was not my cup of tea. We visited several communities that friends and family had recommended and pretty quickly decided that they were not what we were looking for.

And our original trips to Arizona which were mostly to Phoenix, we just as disappointing.

However, we ended up in green valley and found the community that we wanted to move to. There were certain concerns that we had at the time of the move (mostly surrounding the availability of adequate health care) that have been addressed.

As for allergens, I would say that being down here has eliminated about 90% of the allerdies. However, there are 3-4 days in February and March when a particular bush blooms that are very unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Amongst the AZ Cactus
7,074 posts, read 4,925,427 times
Reputation: 7701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Mold shouldn't be a problem in any reasonably well built/maintained house in any part of the country that is kept at reasonable temperatures. Robyn
Agree, maintaining the home is critical in regards to preventing serious mold issues. But it goes beyond that.....from the Florida Department of health's website:

Mold | Florida Department of Health

"Molds are also very common in buildings and homes."

And they go beyond just indoors in climates with high humidity:

"Molds are types of fungi. They grow in the natural environment. Tiny particles of molds are found everywhere in indoor and outdoor air."

"Many building materials (such as wood, sheetrock, etc.) provide food that can support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for molds."


"Should I be worried about mold in my home?
Yes and no. On the one hand, there will always be mold in your home in the form of spores and pieces of mold cells. The presence of mold in the air is normal. "


There are many people, including myself, who are allergic to mold and in certain levels can give me a headache within minutes after exposure so its a problem that humid climates such as Florida can cause in many people. The website goes into the health issues many people suffer as a result of mold. Reasons why a dryer desert climate for those who are sensitive to mold might be a viable option.

Another advantage of dryer air that just crossed my mind.....we know someone who has war injuries, have neighbors with serious arthritis and are from more humid/damp climates. While their pain is still there, they have found the dryer air has provided them with significant relief from some of the pain. On the rare days we get soggy with rain and the humidity jumps up, they've told me they can really feel their pain symptoms flare up with the increase in humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Washington
31 posts, read 37,114 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think your message shows there's always a "gotcha" unless one has an infinite amount of money. An "on the one hand" - "on the other hand". If my father predeceases us - we could go anywhere. But where I don't know......

.........I know we don't live in the most perfect place in terms of anything. But our lives are certainly devoid of hassles/aggravations....

I hadn't expected finding a retirement location would prove as difficult as it has, but as you mentioned, there does always appear to be some kind of a "gotcha". I have been living out of a suitcase for nearly two years now. My stuff is still in storage in Dallas. I'm not sure I'm any closer to finding my "ideal" place. I thought I'd give the PNW another year and then perhaps I might check out places like Asheville, NC.

I really liked Florida whenever I visited, but I came as a snowbird and doubt I'd last through a summer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,449,705 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think the problem is you're comparing the Phoenix metro area with the Miami-Dade metro area. Which are only parts of relatively big states. Robyn
It's not possible to compare two states and all of their cities with one another therefore you have to be practical and select two of the largest areas. And for all intents and purposes, when most compare "Arizona vs Florida", they are comparing the Valley to S. Florida because they are seeking the two warmest parts of the state with the most amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM
 
Location: AZ
2,041 posts, read 3,219,129 times
Reputation: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Mold shouldn't be a problem in any reasonably well built/maintained house in any part of the country that is kept at reasonable temperatures. Robyn
It's not just the way the house was built or the maintenance of the home but also the HVAC system. Being a snowbird I'd never want to chance my AC malfunctioning in Florida,within a week there would be mold spores throughout the house. Even with a home check service most only check bi weekly and even then can go undetected if they don't know what to look for. Here in AZ I've never worried about that as it's so dry except during monsoon season and even then we don't get the humidity you get in Fl.






Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Agree, maintaining the home is critical in regards to preventing serious mold issues. But it goes beyond that.....from the Florida Department of health's website:

Mold | Florida Department of Health

"Molds are also very common in buildings and homes."

And they go beyond just indoors in climates with high humidity:

"Molds are types of fungi. They grow in the natural environment. Tiny particles of molds are found everywhere in indoor and outdoor air."

"Many building materials (such as wood, sheetrock, etc.) provide food that can support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for molds."


"Should I be worried about mold in my home?
Yes and no. On the one hand, there will always be mold in your home in the form of spores and pieces of mold cells. The presence of mold in the air is normal. "


There are many people, including myself, who are allergic to mold and in certain levels can give me a headache within minutes after exposure so its a problem that humid climates such as Florida can cause in many people. The website goes into the health issues many people suffer as a result of mold. Reasons why a dryer desert climate for those who are sensitive to mold might be a viable option.

Another advantage of dryer air that just crossed my mind.....we know someone who has war injuries, have neighbors with serious arthritis and are from more humid/damp climates. While their pain is still there, they have found the dryer air has provided them with significant relief from some of the pain. On the rare days we get soggy with rain and the humidity jumps up, they've told me they can really feel their pain symptoms flare up with the increase in humidity.

I swear we were separated at birth....lol I'm severely allergic to mold and can tell instantly if a home has any kind of mold in it. My throat will start to close up within minutes and then comes the headaches and even nauseousness at times. Back east there were times where I'd only have taken a few steps into someones finished basement and have had to turn around. They'd think I was crazy as there were never any pungent moldy smell either and they've been living down there for years!

Without all the trees and ragweed I'm use to back east my allergies are basically non existent here in AZ except a few days every now and then in the spring they'll bother me for a week or so. I was miserable almost year round from early spring until the first frost and have fought this for 50 years until moving here. By mid afternoon I was so worn out I'd have to lay down some days especially in the spring when the pollen was so bad and everything was covered in a green film outside. I swear moving here feels like I got a shot of B-12 everyday as I'm never worn out from my allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Amongst the AZ Cactus
7,074 posts, read 4,925,427 times
Reputation: 7701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I swear we were separated at birth....lol I'm severely allergic to mold and can tell instantly if a home has any kind of mold in it. My throat will start to close up within minutes and then comes the headaches and even nauseousness at times. Back east there were times where I'd only have taken a few steps into someones finished basement and have had to turn around. They'd think I was crazy as there were never any pungent moldy smell either and they've been living down there for years!

Without all the trees and ragweed I'm use to back east my allergies are basically non existent here in AZ except a few days every now and then in the spring they'll bother me for a week or so. I was miserable almost year round from early spring until the first frost and have fought this for 50 years until moving here. By mid afternoon I was so worn out I'd have to lay down some days especially in the spring when the pollen was so bad and everything was covered in a green film outside. I swear moving here feels like I got a shot of B-12 everyday as I'm never worn out from my allergies.
I think you're on to something on the birth thing....hehehe.

Wow, excellent, glad you found such relief out here in the desert! That's ugly on the throat closing up...yikes. Never had that symptom but certainly know about the tiredness, headaches, etc. in regards to certain pollen and mold. Yes, it's amazing how sensitive the human body can be to allergens like mold and pollen. My sister lives back east with her husband and has tons of issues with mold even though she's very careful with trying to keep it out of her house. She escapes to her brother's house in the desert for relief from it all(that's me!) and the often not so nice weather of the northeast at least once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top