Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 AM

114 posts, read 204,357 times

Advertisements

If you enjoy hiking and cycling, AZ is a no brainer decision. The mountain ranges, Superstition Wilderness, Grand Canyon, etc... offer a wealth of hiking opportunities. AZ is a destination for cyclists coming in from the cold at both the pro and amateur level. On and off road cycling opportunities abound. Good golfing too. FL on the other hand, and I have been all over that state many times, does have the water so if boating/fishing is important to you then that is the better destination. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 AM

902 posts, read 1,103,789 times
[quote=Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
...AFA Florida, we spend winters in the Keys and my spouse has RA. She has more trouble when the humidity is high. Also, there is a lot of crime in FL and automobile accidents. It's okay for us for 4 months a year but would never move here.[/QUOTE]

as far as crime is concerned:

Phoenix and Tucson have a much bigger crime problem than anywhere in FL

northern AZ is ok, but the big cities in AZ rival Miami in the 1980's

there is a lot of petty crime in FL (rental cars being broken into... etc)

as far as shootings, rape, murder, gangs etc..... PHX is Worse

when i moved from Orlando to Phoenix my auto insurance doubled in cost
my Allstate agent explained that it was due to the higher number of auto accidents and auto thefts in AZ

Last edited by azsportpilot; 01-06-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Sorry, but in the crime dept., the 2 states are very similar. Here's the latest crime data from City=Data

Crime rates.

Phoenix 405
Tucson 490

Miami 586
Jacvlle 392
St. Pete 542
Tampa 277
Orlando 480

I also checked just the murder rates. Both Miami and Jacksonville have much higher murder rates than Phoenix and slightly higher than Tucson.

One could argue that Florida's major cities are more dangerous, but if it is, it isn't by much.

But lets be honest, most of the people who are going to move to Florida are not moving into these cities, but will be someplace in the small towns or suburbs. So crime isn't really much of a consideration in this discussion. Everyone knows to stay out of high crime areas, and the chances of being a victim of crime are pretty small.

I would also argue that climate is a huge consideration. It affects what your daily activities, how your house is built, whether you have to put up with bugs, what activities you can do and even your health and mental attitude. IMHO, Climate is the number one consideration in picking where you're going to live, at least in the USA.

Last edited by augiedogie; 01-06-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 AM

902 posts, read 1,103,789 times
A study of crime statistics puts the city of Phoenix and the metro area in the list of the most dangerous cities to live in.

Is Phoenix Arizona Safe or Dangerous?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
...But lets be honest, most of the people who are going to move to Florida are not moving into these cities, but will be someplace in the small towns or suburbs. So crime isn't really much of a consideration in this discussion. Everyone knows to stay out of high crime areas, and the chances of being a victim of crime are pretty small...
Correct - I live near Jacksonville - but not in Jacksonville (or even in the same county). When I lived in Miami - it was in one of the best parts of the city - not the worst. And - when it comes to my brother in "Phoenix" - well he actually lives in Scottsdale. Which - to the best of my knowledge - isn't a "high crime" area.

Quote:
I would also argue that climate is a huge consideration. It affects what your daily activities, how your house is built, whether you have to put up with bugs, what activities you can do and even your health and mental attitude. IMHO, Climate is the number one consideration in picking where you're going to live, at least in the USA.
I agree with you there too. As long as we like to do things outside - climate matters a lot. Note that when it comes to bike riding - there is lots of it in Florida. But certainly not "mountain biking". OTOH - my husband and I used to like the "flatlands" when we were both rode bikes.

I think the biggest differences between where we live and where my brother lives are humidity/lack of humidity - being near/not near an ocean - and not paying/paying state income taxes. They're both pretty nice places. And the better for any particular person will vary depending on personal needs/preferences. FWIW - my brother is still working - so his job is still important to him (he actually commutes to work in California). Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Seems like apples and oranges.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My advice is to do this. Put the climate business into proper perspective. Though climate is very important in our decision, on where we decide to land. There is a lot more to consider when moving to a far off place, than just the climate. I cannot stress that enough.
Spot on! I've researched both states due to climate-related health issues and vetoed both due to the increased cost of my Blue Cross Medicare Plan F. It was double what I pay here in California! I was floored. I have enough medical issues that Plan F is the only prudent way for me to go as an Advantage plan would leave me with potentially large co-payments that could be budget-breakers.

There are other states where this is not the case . . . unfortunately, they don't meet my health-related weather requirements.

I don't think I've seen this discussed to any extent regarding considerations for retirement relocations - maybe I haven't been in the right place at the right time and I haven't researched threads. Just my observation.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:14 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Quote:
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
If your wife has allergies, AZ isn't necessarily the best place. It does rain in AZ. When it doesn't it's dry and dusty. I struggled with my allergies in AZ and mistakenly thought they'd get a little better when I moved there from the north east. The truth is, your body isn't used to new allergens and it will react.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather.
We grew up in Florida and employments took us to various locations over the years including Arizona and New Mexico, which were locations we planned to possibly retire to. My wife was offered a job transfer in Albuquerque, so she took it and this is where we ultimately retired to 15+ years ago. We considered moving to some parts of Arizona but family followed us here. We have become accustomed to and like the Southwest.

It's really a matter of personal preferences. I've seen people move from the Southwest, to the East and West coasts.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
A study of crime statistics puts the city of Phoenix and the metro area in the list of the most dangerous cities to live in.

Is Phoenix Arizona Safe or Dangerous?
Did you read that before you posted it?

Miami-Dade County ranks as the 6th most dangerous metro and Phoenix ranked as 17th most dangerous?

Your not making the case you think you are

Plus, the data is 13 years old. City Data offers more up to date data and you can search virtually any city you decide to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement