U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 AM

8,761 posts, read 7,693,193 times

Advertisements

Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 AM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,655,358 times
My mother's siblings and cousins moved to Florida (and some of their older children have since followed). My brothers still have children at home, but I don't see them following suit (but I could be wrong about that). My spouse (who lived over 30 years in Florida) and I (who lived over 50 years in the northeast) recognized the same problems with Florida that you did, and instead moved from the northeast to the Atlanta area.

We still get winter here - it is 26F right now - but they're relatively short, and if we have a snow or ice event the city comprehensively shuts down until the thaw, no more than a day or two later. The summers, at least this far north of the city itself (we live in northern Fulton County), are very pleasant - not at all like the summers of Florida. We figured it was the perfect compromise between heat and cold, and accommodates the fact that neither of us are quite ready to retire (so the availability of work was also a factor).

FWIW, we felt that southern and coastal Georgia was too "Florida-like", so we wouldn't have considered moving there. We also felt that Virginia had winters tough enough to want to avoid in retirement, so we wouldn't have considered moving there. If work was not a consideration, we very well may have landed in Knoxville, due to family considerations, but even Knoxville has more snow each year than we'd be looking for.

I'm sure there are other cities on the east coast that have a similar balance to Atlanta. Maybe Charleston SC?

Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM

484 posts, read 478,424 times
For us, it came down to a choice of high humidity or low or virtually no humidity. Having lived in Florida three times previously and having experienced walking from inside to outside and feeling like you're suddenly standing under a waterfall of humidity, we knew Florida would not be our retirement destination.

Yes, we know Arizona is hot in the summer. We lived in Arizona for a couple years in the 80s...we tend to move around, as you can probably tell. Even though we foolishly moved back to the frozen tundra for several years...yep, there's that moving thing again...we said when the time comes, we wanted to retire in AZ.

Mission accomplished.

While we did have a few days of high humidity this summer...at least by Arizona standards...we feel we made the right choice.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 833,123 times
Just a few months ago I moved to southeastern Arizona. I did research on all the areas of Arizona. I finally narrowed my target area to Cochise County due to the fact that it is cooler than both Tucson and Phoenix in the summertime. I had also seriously considered Green Valley and also Cottonwood. But when I reached Huachuca City which is just outside Sierra Vista, I knew I had found my sweet spot!

Winter Weather: There was a light dusting of snow in the Huachuca mountains before Christmas, and it is predicted the mountains (elevation 6K feet) will have snow this Thursday night due to the El Nino storms coming through the area. I live at approximately 4,500 elevation so I don't think we'll have snow on the ground here. The normal lows for here are in the 40's with afternoon temps in the 60's. It was a bit cooler than that over the holidays and my children were a bit disappointed with the weather when they visited But we didn't get the blizzards that ravaged New Mexico and Texas during that time!

I haven't been here for the summer and monsoon season yet, but I'm sure that it will still be much easier to take than the high humidity of Florida. Also I was moving to get away from the freezing cold winters of Indiana.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Arizona is a really bad choice for anyone with allergies. With the long warm season, it seems there is always a lot of pollen in the air. Some of the worst offenders such as Russian olive trees have been banned but Phoenix and other built up areas remain really bad with lots of different pollens.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:12 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
My advice is to do this. Put the climate business into proper perspective. Though climate is very important in our decision, on where we decide to land. There is a lot more to consider when moving to a far off place, than just the climate. I cannot stress that enough.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My advice is to do this. Put the climate business into proper perspective. Though climate is very important in our decision, on where we decide to land. There is a lot more to consider when moving to a far off place, than just the climate. I cannot stress that enough.
Agree with this. IMO too many focus on climate and housing costs rather than taking into consideration friends, family, hobbies, opportunities to meet people and keep busy, etc.

AFA Florida, we spend winters in the Keys and my spouse has RA. She has more trouble when the humidity is high. Also, there is a lot of crime in FL and automobile accidents. It's okay for us for 4 months a year but would never move here.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If being active outside is important to someone - then climate is very important. I don't think an avid golfer would be happy living year round in Minnesota . My brother lives in Phoenix - and I find the summers there unbearable. I can play golf in Florida in the summer in the afternoon - when it's usually 90 or so - but 120 degrees in Phoenix is just too much for me. Note that I hate cold weather - even the little we get here in north Florida in January/February. OTOH - I know some people who are quite comfortable playing golf when it's 45. Also - I am not a morning person. You can play golf in Phoenix in the summer if you get out there very early in the morning - so it can work for a "morning person". And - obviously - it's also cooler in the morning in Florida than it is at 2 pm. Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
...AFA Florida, we spend winters in the Keys and my spouse has RA. She has more trouble when the humidity is high. Also, there is a lot of crime in FL and automobile accidents. It's okay for us for 4 months a year but would never move here.
Florida is a very big state with a lot of regional differences (especially when you're comparing south Florida with north Florida). Arizona is pretty much the same (lots of regional differences). Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Indiana has many variations too, there is a snow line around the the upper third of the state with more lake effect with the southern part of the state getting much less snow.

The same with NY, our summer home is in NY, the winter weather is colder/snowier than NYC and less than further upstate, but while more rural/suburban, taxes are high because of NYC proximity.

As for our FL home, where we've spent 8 months each year for the past four years: no crime involvement, no car accidents, nice neighbors. The reason we are here has less to do with a lower COL and a climate we prefer and more with being here with our grandkids. My MIL snowbirds 1 1/2 hour from here in the winter from Indiana. Family time for us tops all considerations at this time.

There are huge variations in just 100 miles of every place I've lived. In Indiana from a northern rural local, Chicago was 90 miles away. In NY, the mountain we live behind is 50 miles from NYC and in FL 100 miles north of us the morning temp was in the 40's while we were in the low 60's earlier this week. To paint entire states or areas that cover much bigger areas as being the same from one end to the other is incredibly inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or