Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM

49 posts, read 44,410 times

Advertisements

I was legally separated, but not yet divorced, when my "former" died. It had not been an amicable process and as far as I was concerned I couldn't wait to put that part of my life behind me (or at least as much as one can, when there are offspring.) But in legal terms I am a widow; certainly that's how Social Security sees things, which literally saved me financially. (I have no idea whether I'd have gotten the full survivor's benefit if we'd already been divorced when he died.)

However, when filling out any sort of paperwork I always designate myself as single because in emotional terms that's what I am. I want no connection to my former married life, and even went so far as to legally resume my maiden name (which I did not originally want to change when I married but stupidly succumbed to pressure from him and his family, which should have been a red flag even then for me, lol) as soon as all the probate mumbo-jumbo was done with.

On whatever occasions I need to refer to my childrens' father, I call him the "late ex" which could be interpreted variously as deceased ex-husband, deceased ex-boyfriend/partner, or deceased ex-whatever. Certainly doesn't matter at this point. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
^^^That sounds appropriate to me. Legally you were still married when he died, so technically you were a widow, especially as far as SS was concerned, but emotionally you were separated from him. So, single seems appropriate for you.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Use whatever you feel best describes you. I'll bet many use widowed at first and perhaps more switch to single later, especially if widowed at an early age?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Good point. I've been widowed since I was 37...and sure did hate that word back then. After so many years, I now consider myself more "single" than "widowed", especially once I was widowed more years than I had been married.

However, I don't understand this "outdated" business. To the original poster, refer to yourself however you like. 'Nuff said.
I was widowed at 34 and realized I identified more as single when I was 39. I will hit the point of being widowed longer than we were together in March and at this point, there is a part of me that feels that part of my life happened to someone else.

I'm pretty sure those in my young widow/ers group would not find the term outdated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I find it kind of odd when a divorced person calls themselves a widow or widower after their ex dies. If they aren't your spouse when they die, I don't think you're a widow or widower. Seems sort of like they are going for sympathy or to upgrade their status somehow. I don't know why, just bugs me.
I've always found that to be a bit weird too, but the one that really bothers me is when someone refers to LH as my "ex." Um, no. I'm pretty sure he didn't wake up one day and tell me we were through and he was leaving.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Maybe it is. I never thought about it before I read this thread but the women I know whose husband have died never refer to themselves as a widow.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Exactly! I was widowed at forty one with three children to raise. I may have been single but I was also a widow.

OP, I can't imagine anyone telling you that widow is outdated, that is truly moronic.
Oh wow.....Mom was...41 also when Dad died.....three kids also...OK, for bonus points, she had girl, boy, girl...you?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
divorced by reason of death?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I was told using the term widow was outdated?
Yes, the term is offensive to the arachnid population.

Quote:
Is this true and if this is true what am I???
You are whatever your local Liberal think tank cooks up for a Politically Correct term that is not offensive.

Perhaps you are "Consortium Deprived," or "Partner Deprived" or some Orwellian-thing.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
OP, whoever told you the term widow is outdated is most probably thinking that you need not define yourself by your former relationship to a man, but rather you are a person in your own right needing no definition dependent upon your former relationship to a man.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Thanks. I was fairly young and since we were going through some rough times there are a select few people that think his unexpected passing was no big deal. It was a huge deal to me and I feel so sad that he had to die since he was not in a good place.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I was told using the term widow was outdated? Is this true and if this is true what am I??? I know I am single, but, for some weird reason I hate to invalidate my entire marriage as if it never existed
Kind of. It is used less than when I was a child. It falls into the same category as "divorcee" "widower" (which was never as popular) and "childless".

Defining yourself of another by what they lost or don't have.

I hear more people say "My husband died a few years ago" than "I am a widow". Or "We don't have children" rather than we are childless, or Joan is divorced or I am divorced than "I'm a divorcee".

It's not a PC thing. Or a political thing. It's just slowly falling out of favor, it seems.
Just as calling someone "The Widow Smith" as they did in Victorian times, has fallen out of favor.

If you want to be referred to as a "widow", that's your prerogative, though.

And, I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited by sheena12; 01-06-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement