U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,693,861 times

Advertisements

Do I have to be American to answer this question? I'm Canadian and I always go away for two months every winter to escape our bitter cold. It helps being child-free. Summers are spent working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 PM

362 posts, read 334,361 times
It is already under serious consideration.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I know someone that does something similar.
Here in Texas the summers get hot and my friend takes off from June-Oct to points north in the US.
They rent as well via VRBO and say it's cheaper than having a second home.
They are looking at New Mexico for summer 2016.
I've thought about doing this myself, especially if you can find a place that's significantly warmer/cooler than where you live but not a popular tourist destination during that season. I spent some time in late winter/early spring in the Myrtle Beach area a few years ago, and I could live with that kind of winter for three or four months (December through March, say). Renting furnished condos, apartments, and even houses on the beaches is much cheaper during the off-season; the nasty critters are hibernating; it's much less crowded, and while it's not regularly "beach weather", it's certainly nicer than half of foot of snow overnight and negative wind chills!

Another interesting place to consider for late fall/early winter is Rehobeth Beach, DE and environs. I had a friend who had a condo there. He'd go down in April or towards the end of October or November when the Gulfstream brought fairly warm temps up along the coast. The money he made renting the condo out during the peak season paid all his fees for the entire year.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM

9,444 posts, read 5,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I ran into someone the other day who told me he winters in a rented home in a different city overseas each year. It's usually for four months (Mid January to Mid April). He uses something like VRBO and rents a furnished unit and lives the life of a native. This year he is going to Ecuador.

If you could afford it, would you consider it or would you miss the United States family and friends?
No. Not a question of missing friends/family but the fact that I despise hot weather. My choice would be to winter in S. America during their winter months: June, July, August, September.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM

912 posts, read 647,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I ran into someone the other day who told me he winters in a rented home in a different city overseas each year. It's usually for four months (Mid January to Mid April). He uses something like VRBO and rents a furnished unit and lives the life of a native. This year he is going to Ecuador.

If you could afford it, would you consider it or would you miss the United States family and friends?
I'd miss family and friends, but I'd do it if my son's school wouldn't be an obstacle. I dream of it, actually, that way I can live here, but avoid the winter.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM

2,739 posts, read 723,538 times
I don't think I'd ever be the type to "winter" as a verb, just like I really don't party (very seldom and reluctantly I might attend a party!).

I'd never leave my cat for that long. In fact, I'm too much of a homebody to travel. And I kind of like being stoic and dealing with colder weather. I grew up in NJ, lived in Florida for several years, and then moved to Atlanta. I actually prefer living in Atlanta with cold (but not freezing or snowy winters) winters---it does well for me to experience the four seasons. But if temperatures drop below freezing, I may change my tune....

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 6,244 times
My wife and I spend winters in her home country of the Philippines where we have a house. I find that ageing has made even the Texas winters too much for me. Of course this requires a long plane trip so some might prefer to winter in central or South America. Thanks for reading

Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd do it in a heartbeat, finances willing! I'm ten years out and I'm trying to figure out a way to make something like that work, even if only for a couple months each year....
http://fulltimetimeshare.com/blog | Mike and Edie's adventures travelling from time share to time share for 2 to 5 years

I can't remember how I found this website but it fascinates me. Click on the months and you can read their full adventures. They are a lovely couple. I was interested in their website because they go to many of the same timeshares we go to and they are very down to earth and truthful about the experiences they have had.

I first became interested in renting for the season when we were vacationing in North Myrtle Beach and met a couple that lived on a farm about an hour inland but they winterized in Myrtle Beach where the weather was milder and they could watch the ocean. They would even go back home to church on the weekends. Keeping up with two homes has never interested me. That sounds too much like work. Timeshares are managed and has everything ready when you get there. Many of them have planned activities during the week. www.rci.com click on "plan a vacation" then click on "last calls" and you can book condos sometimes cheaper than staying at hotels, anything from a studio to a four bedroom condo. Sometimes they run specials cheaper than the "last calls."

You have to be a member of RCI but www.extraholidays.com has many of the same places for anyone looking.

Last edited by NCN; 01-06-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 08:36 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I don't think I'd ever be the type to "winter" as a verb, just like I really don't party (very seldom and reluctantly I might attend a party!).

I'd never leave my cat for that long. In fact, I'm too much of a homebody to travel. And I kind of like being stoic and dealing with colder weather. I grew up in NJ, lived in Florida for several years, and then moved to Atlanta. I actually prefer living in Atlanta with cold (but not freezing or snowy winters) winters---it does well for me to experience the four seasons. But if temperatures drop below freezing, I may change my tune....
It won't stay below freezing for long in Atlanta.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 PM
NCN

Winter Condo Rentals in Myrtle Beach | Myrtle Beach Resort

Here is another choice for winter rentals. I wonder if the couple we met on our vacation may have stayed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or