Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,062 times

Advertisements

So, we have bought and/or are in the process of buying several houses in Pueblo, all within a block of each other. These are simple, modest, but clean homes. Our intention, in a few years is to include them in an Autistic community here. Until then, we have been planning to live in one and rent out the other 2 [possibly 3] There is only one that has 3 bedrooms [the others have 2] and as soon as it closes we will be moving into it, either as our permanent home or just for the minimum year required in HUD owner occupied homes.

so, we were planning at renting the other 2 [possibly 3] and possibly get a room mate. Then we started thinking maybe we should rent out the room as an airBnB. At $30 a night, occupied half the time, that would come to $450 a month.

Which made us wonder if possibly we should rent out full houses as airBnBs'. heck, MAYBE after we have actually grown into an Autistic community, we could probably rent out houses for people to stay in or a week or so to get involved with our community in order to help them start an Autistic community in their oown area.

What I envision. as far as commerce, education, healthcare, recreation, etc. are all scheduled until long after my personal schedule has run out. but now, UNTIL people come, what do you think about going at least partially airBnB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
What does your local zoning permit ? Doing that where I live would make your homes into hotels which would not be permitted in residential zones.

Check with your local municipal zoning department. You don't have to give them addresses but just explain your general scenario and see what they say. Get it in writing if at all possible.

You also need to check with an accountant and discover how you would have to tax your guests, how this would impact your yearly income, etc. Lots of bookkeeping and time on your part as you would be running a business.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think would happen to the neighborhood if there are homes within it occupied by transients ? That's what AirBnB is- transients. If I was looking to buy a house there is no way I would buy next to a property that was being used as an AirBnB rental. Even more so if I looked at the neighborhood and realized that a number of homes were being used as motels. Do you think property values might drop ?

Last edited by willow wind; 01-03-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,305 times
Please research news articles concerning the uprising neighbors are having about airbnb. You may find that the hassle isn't worth it. And the idea of different people coming and going, who will have different needs, may very well keep you running more than you want to. You'll have to clean up each time a guest leaves and get it ready for another. Much easier, imo, to have long-term tenants.

I wouldn't want to do it, and I know my neighbors wouldn't want me to. Vacationers have a way of not caring about the area. And since it sounds like you plan to be in that spot a long time, being a good neighbor is important. You simply can't vet airbnb'ers the way you can long term tenants.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
At $30 a night, occupied half the time, that would come to $450 a month.

@ $30/night you're going to attract travelers on the lower end of the spectrum. Don't expect a lot.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Let me ask you a question. What do you think would happen to the neighborhood if there are homes within it occupied by transients ? That's what AirBnB is- transients. If I was looking to buy a house there is no way I would buy next to a property that was being used as an AirBnB rental. Even more so if I looked at the neighborhood and realized that a number of homes were being used as motels. Do you think property values might drop ?
This is causing a huge uproar in the neighborhood one over from mine where investors have bought up $500K houses and rent out the entire thing to loud, obnoxious bachelor and bachelorette parties. There is talk of lawsuits and more city rules/regulations. And quite a few angry neighbors who bought expensive houses not knowing they were moving into a "motel row".

Old 01-03-2016, 05:47 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
This is causing a huge uproar in the neighborhood one over from mine where investors have bought up $500K houses and rent out the entire thing to loud, obnoxious bachelor and bachelorette parties. There is talk of lawsuits and more city rules/regulations. And quite a few angry neighbors who bought expensive houses not knowing they were moving into a "motel row".
Short term rentals seem to be very popular in some places. In one Oregon town that I am following on CD, the city recently limited the number and density of these due to neighbor's complaints of noise and traffic and imposed other restrictions. Also there were complaints that landlords, preferring the more lucrative vacation rentals, were contributing to the town's dire shortage of long term rentals and high rents. Most seemed pleased with the new regulations but many complained that the restrictions were unfair and violated the landlord's freedoms and free enterprise. In my southwestern city, short term rentals are considered a commercial activity and not allowed in single family residential areas (R-1).

Old 01-03-2016, 05:53 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
In Pueblo?

Who the heck wants to rent a room in Pueblo?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
So, we have bought and/or are in the process of buying several houses in Pueblo, all within a block of each other.
Pueblo, Colorado?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Keep in mind the tax implications as well as you decide on what to do. Both Federal and state taxes.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
This sounds like a great plan, particularly the AirBnB room for those wanting to find out more about your autistic community.

Check out your zoning first, of course.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement