Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 AM

483 posts, read 665,462 times

Advertisements

Watching those old shows reminds me of actually having to get up, walk over to the TV, change the channel, turn up the volume, adjust the fine tuning, move the aluminum on the rabbit ears until it was JUST right. Ah, memories.

Now, it's "where did I put the %=÷×+@! remote?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Watching those old shows reminds me of actually having to get up, walk over to the TV, change the channel, turn up the volume, adjust the fine tuning, move the aluminum on the rabbit ears until it was JUST right. Ah, memories.

Now, it's "where did I put the %=÷×+@! remote?"
I change channels with my iPhone.

Other than sports, I don't watch any TV with advertising. I'll occasionally stream a television series but I pretty much exclusively watch commercial-free movies and sports. I don't get the attraction to reruns with 30% commercials mixed in. Of the 300 channels of garbage on my cable feed, I've never watched most of it.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I change channels with my iPhone.

Other than sports, I don't watch any TV with advertising. I'll occasionally stream a television series but I pretty much exclusively watch commercial-free movies and sports. I don't get the attraction to reruns with 30% commercials mixed in. Of the 300 channels of garbage on my cable feed, I've never watched most of it.
Goodness, why do you have 300 channels if they are mostly garbage? Do you have to have them in order to get the sports channels?

I am dumping the cable as soon as my 14 year old TV dies. I would rather have a ROKU device. I used to have OTA TV where I formerly lived but now I need cable for reception. I pretty much don't watch anything in real time. I record everything and ff the commercials.

It's when I had only the OTA channels I discovered the oldie channels.

I sometimes like old shows like "All In The Family" just to see the political climate of the times. A lot of things haven't changed. A lot of things have. Some of the sitcoms are just silly and fun to watch. The early "Andy Griffith Shows" where Andy interacts with Opie are always nice to watch.

I really got a kick out of the first black and white Merv Griffin show. He read his intros from a paper and the guests were so obviously selling themselves and very rehearsed. Then comes Oscar Levant who was so nutty you just didn't know what was going to come out of his mouth. Too funny.

Nannette Fabray was a guest one night who talked about her screenwriter husband, Ranald MacDougall, coming up with the idea of producing movies especially made for TV, we all know how successful that was. But not many remember a time when they didn't exist.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
I like to see the fashions

And the fluffy hair styles.

Really brings back memories.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:15 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Watching ME T V and all the shows are from the 60's & 70's. Watching actors who are our age makes me chuckle.
I just look at my 1956 high school year book. Same reaction.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I like to see the fashions

And the fluffy hair styles.

Really brings back memories.
Me too. I also like to see which of those fashions or variations of them have returned. Then I can say, "I was there first."

Old 01-09-2016, 10:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I used to watch The Defenders. Apparently this old show is simply not available anywhere now, but i found a link to one YouTube video which I suppose was off an old kinescope(?) The film quality was horrible! But sadly, so was everything else. The script was heavy handed, the sets were cheesy, and the acting only so so. But I used to love watching it.

I picked up an old movie DVD from our local library, The Big Country, circa 1958. It was beautifully photographed--it had really beautifully composed shots of amazing scenery. It starred Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford. The acting was only so so, except for Burl Ives, who got an Academy Award for supporting actor in that film. And it was looong. And, you know how films cut away quickly now in scenes? This movie showed long, long shots with lots of pregnant pauses. And also, improbable plot devices.

DH and I watched an awful lot of Twilight Zone on Netflix last year. Honestly, those shows were so formulaic, and the situations so stupid. A few shows were good. Most were simply not that great. One of the best had Buster Keaton play in the present (1960s) and in silent mode in the past. It was clever and interesting. But it was the exception.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Don't know if it's age or personality, but it's funny how much some of us are different in what we watch/don't watch on tv. Some will watch only the old stuff on ME tv, while other's don't like to watch tv at all (or very little), then there are those (like us) that like the old stuff on ME tv and the new stuff on regular tv.

One thing for sure, my wife loves watching tv and/or having sound around her. She was raised with noise around her being raised w/a brother and two sisters. She tells me that there weren't very many times when it was quiet in their household. As for me, my step-parents ran the tv! If I didn't like what was on, I had to go to my bedroom upstairs and do something. I was the only child. Except for my yearly high school dance and spending a weekend at my cousins, it was watching Lawrence Welk on Saturday nights or "to my bedroom".

Old 01-10-2016, 11:24 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
It wasn't ME TV, but I sure enjoyed watching what I could of the New Year'sTwilight Zone marathon they showed on the Sci-Fi channel,over 2+ days. They showed the entire series in that time, and as much as I figured I've seen them all many times, starting in my childhood, there were still a few episodes I don't remember seeing.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:27 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Don't know if it's age or personality, but it's funny how much some of us are different in what we watch/don't watch on tv. Some will watch only the old stuff on ME tv, while other's don't like to watch tv at all (or very little), then there are those (like us) that like the old stuff on ME tv and the new stuff on regular tv.

One thing for sure, my wife loves watching tv and/or having sound around her. She was raised with noise around her being raised w/a brother and two sisters. She tells me that there weren't very many times when it was quiet in their household. As for me, my step-parents ran the tv! If I didn't like what was on, I had to go to my bedroom upstairs and do something. I was the only child. Except for my yearly high school dance and spending a weekend at my cousins, it was watching Lawrence Welk on Saturday nights or "to my bedroom".
Well, in those days most often there was only one TV in the house, in our house too we watched what my dad wanted to when he was home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement