U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM

5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I picked up an old movie DVD from our local library, The Big Country, circa 1958. It was beautifully photographed--it had really beautifully composed shots of amazing scenery. It starred Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford. The acting was only so so, except for Burl Ives, who got an Academy Award for supporting actor in that film. And it was looong. And, you know how films cut away quickly now in scenes? This movie showed long, long shots with lots of pregnant pauses. And also, improbable plot devices.
I saw that movie once and I loved it! Mainly I was mesmerized by Charlton Heston's pinto horse. I watched the whole movie just so I could keep looking at the horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It wasn't ME TV, but I sure enjoyed watching what I could of the New Year'sTwilight Zone marathon they showed on the Sci-Fi channel,over 2+ days. They showed the entire series in that time, and as much as I figured I've seen them all many times, starting in my childhood, there were still a few episodes I don't remember seeing.
I remember all the Superman reruns they used to show during Labor Day. Now those were fun. Cheesy, but fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,464,145 times
I love watching I Dream Of Jeannie, The Adams Family, The Partridge Family, Green Acres, etc. My wife says I just watch these shows because of the women. She's right. I mean, why else would anyone watch a bad show like the Partridge Family? Shirley Jones was hot! I'll bet she's still hot. And Barbara Eden was every 13 year old boy's dream alright. I liked the sexuality and sensuality of these old shows too, especially the Adams Family. It feels so much different than today. Desiring someone of the opposite sex and showing it was OK back then. Yes, they seem a little sexist these days, but I don't care. Much preferable to today's young women.

I loved Zorro too. Every boy wanted to grow up to be him or Robin Hood (w/ that maid Marian chick safely tucked away in the castle). I think Eddie Arnold was in his 60's when he landed that gig playing Zsa Zsa's husband. He look awfully happy in that part :]

Of course, we're leaving out all the duds that were on TV back then like The Gong Show, Seahunt and Car 54. Anyone remember Supercar? That show was responsible for fostering a life long hatred of puppets. And sitting through Petticoat Junction was like watching the grass grow. Flipper? Great color but lousy acting, except for Flipper. There was another really bad show of two young guys (gay?) that just randomly drove from town to town working in odd jobs, in a quest for.......I never did figure out what the quest was because I couldn't sit through it. They always managed to get into fights rescuing someone, which meant that they had to their shirts off. There seemed to be some hidden (very hidden) meaning to their wandering, which was odd, as they were both total squares.

Last edited by smarino; 01-10-2016 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,005,081 times
Never heard of ME tv, but we do enjoy old movies on Turner Classic Movies and Get tv. Some of the movies are o-o-old as in silent, but others are much more recent.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM

718 posts, read 602,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It wasn't ME TV, but I sure enjoyed watching what I could of the New Year'sTwilight Zone marathon they showed on the Sci-Fi channel,over 2+ days. They showed the entire series in that time, and as much as I figured I've seen them all many times, starting in my childhood, there were still a few episodes I don't remember seeing.
That's a Twilight Zone episode in itself. Somewhere in an alternate universe, they make one or two new ones a year and add them into the rotation--- not enough for you to get suspicious, just enough for tou to say: "damn, I thought I'd seen them all!"

Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 PM

718 posts, read 602,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I love watching I Dream Of Jeannie, The Adams Family, The Partridge Family, Green Acres, etc. My wife says I just watch these shows because of the women. She's right. I mean, why else would anyone watch a bad show like the Partridge Family? Shirley Jones was hot! I'll bet she's still hot. And Barbara Eden was every 13 year old boy's dream alright. I liked the sexuality and sensuality of these old shows too, especially the Adams Family. It feels so much different than today. Desiring someone of the opposite sex and showing it was OK back then. Yes, they seem a little sexist these days, but I don't care. Much preferable to today's young women.

I loved Zorro too. Every boy wanted to grow up to be him or Robin Hood (w/ that maid Marian chick safely tucked away in the castle). I think Eddie Arnold was in his 60's when he landed that gig playing Zsa Zsa's husband. He look awfully happy in that part :]

Of course, we're leaving out all the duds that were on TV back then like The Gong Show, Seahunt and Car 54. Anyone remember Supercar? That show was responsible for fostering a life long hatred of puppets. And sitting through Petticoat Junction was like watching the grass grow. Flipper? Great color but lousy acting, except for Flipper. There was another really bad show of two young guys (gay?) that just randomly drove from town to town working in odd jobs, in a quest for.......I never did figure out what the quest was because I couldn't sit through it. They always managed to get into fights rescuing someone, which meant that they had to their shirts off. There seemed to be some hidden (very hidden) meaning to their wandering, which was odd, as they were both total squares.
Shirley Jones has the same hairstyle and about 60 lbs heavier, she's still a beauty. It was Eva Gabor, not Zsa Zsa.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I saw that movie once and I loved it! Mainly I was mesmerized by Charlton Heston's pinto horse. I watched the whole movie just so I could keep looking at the horse!

I remember all the Superman reruns they used to show during Labor Day. Now those were fun. Cheesy, but fun.

For sure, they are all cheesy as they can be, but I like them anyway. Guess it's a deja vu thing, even as I wonder if I thought they were as silly when I watched those shows as a kid.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
There was another really bad show of two young guys (gay?) that just randomly drove from town to town working in odd jobs, in a quest for.......I never did figure out what the quest was because I couldn't sit through it. They always managed to get into fights rescuing someone, which meant that they had to their shirts off. There seemed to be some hidden (very hidden) meaning to their wandering, which was odd, as they were both total squares.
Was that Route 66? It's a cult classic, was a commercial and critical success. The characters, played initially by Marty Milner and George Maharis, traveled the old Route 66 in their Corvette. It was groundbreaking in that every episode was filmed 100% on site - in small towns in MO, OK, NM, IL, and other states on Route 66; the guys sometimes wandered off 66 into places like Montana and rural Louisiana.
Cast and entire crew had to travel and stay in these places. I'd love to see a series do that today but it's unfortunately cost prohibitive.
George Maharis was gay in real life but the characters were overtly portrayed as straight.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:42 PM

21,833 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I was impressed with the horsemanship of the actors playing the cowboys. It was beautiful how the horses moved, and how they were ridden. I don't remember the pinto horse specifically though.

I am not impressed with the plot or the acting in that movie though. DH agreed that it was so so, except for the beautiful photography. The way they filmed the fight scene between Peck and Heston was interesting. A lot of it was filmed from afar, and the sound of the punches they landed was muted, as if it really was taking place late at night. Heston had a magnificent physique, which the film made sure to show. Poor Peck looked skinny. It was really hard to believe that he could put up a convincing fight against Heston.

Jean Simmons' character was a wimp. I was so irritated with her.

When I was a kid, I loved Superman. I saw some of those old episodes about 30 years ago, and was amazed at how cheesy they were. But they were fun, and Reeves always had a sort of smirk on his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement