U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:26 PM

284 posts, read 259,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I got the best of both worlds. I bought in an established community, but in a new section. It is not a retirement community, but everyone on my street is retired and from 59-70 in age. It is a lake community. There are about 750 homes and they are building about 150 more.
We all built new houses and moved in at the same time. We are all new to the area. We have parties and celebrations all the time. In December I had 9 parties to go to. I love my neighbor's. It would not have been so friendly if I had moved into an established neighborhood. I would choose a new community again.
P.S. The community has children, but no one on my street has any. My street was marketed as a cottage community with one story homes. It was geared toward retired people.
Where is this community located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,167 times
It's in Biltmore Lake, NC. 10 minutes from downtown Asheville.

Last edited by organic_donna; 01-10-2016 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Added a word

Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,061,115 times
I am researching retirement communities now and at least in NJ there is a very high premium to purchase new.

The price on the resale in an existing community with similar facilities is substantially lower than new.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:29 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4ever View Post
Great comments so far! Hope more folks chime in....

We could rent for a week or 2 in hopes of getting a feel. But realize that will be fairly superficial. We are considering Tucson/Phoenix as well as San Diego from Indiana. Prefer the year round weather of SD but there are zero Del Webb-like developments. Unlike AZ that has a plethora of both.

Perhaps we need to investigate each community for how they "welcome" the rookies. Especially those that are completed.
There's some interesting stuff going on in San Diego today:

San Diego's Urban Renewal

My aunt and late uncle lived in a suburb of San Diego - Rancho San Bernardo. I really didn't care for it. Note that although the weather in San Diego is on the whole more favorable than the weather in Phoenix - that is true mostly for the coastal areas - not an inland place like Rancho San Bernardo (which was very hot when we last visited a few years ago in September - not Phoenix hot but 95 or so). Also - they had a fair number of evacuation necessary fires in Rancho San Bernardo over the years. Not fun for anyone - especially older people.

When you talk about welcoming newcomers - I am not sure what you're looking for. If it's making friends with people who are of like minds and temperaments - the kind of people you would make friends with if you're younger - that's one thing. If you're talking about fitting in with a bunch of strangers with whom you have nothing in common - just to get along - that's another. I have always been mystified at the concept of changing one's self just for the purpose of fitting in. But people do it. My in-laws - who are Christian - have changed their church affiliations at the drop of a hat when they moved because X flavor of Christianity was more welcome in particular places (e.g., Baptist in the south).

Overall - I don't think the issue is as much newcomers versus existing residents as whether the people in any community/area you're looking at - 55+ or other - share your views and your values. There are parts of the world that are very conservative and religious - others that are very liberal and non-religious. And there is - increasingly - very little left in the middle. And you don't have to be a genius to figure out what an area is like. Just look at local voting results.

BTW - I am curious what you would do in a 55+ community that you couldn't do in a regular community? Although we don't live in a 55+ community - we have access to all the things we want to do in our local area. Like - for example - golf. There is plenty of golf in the greater Phoenix area too outside of 55+ communities. San Diego as well. Robyn

Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
I got the best of both worlds. I bought in an established community, but in a new section. It is not a retirement community, but everyone on my street is retired and from 59-70 in age. It is a lake community. There are about 750 homes and they are building about 150 more.
We all built new houses and moved in at the same time. We are all new to the area. We have parties and celebrations all the time. In December I had 9 parties to go to. I love my neighbor's. It would not have been so friendly if I had moved into an established neighborhood. I would choose a new community again.
P.S. The community has children, but no one on my street has any. My street was marketed as a cottage community with one story homes. It was geared toward retired people.
So this isn't a 55+ community - right? Robyn

Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Many retirement type communities are mostly full of out of state transplants so, to me anyway, the issue of being in a conservative or liberal area is less important because most of your neighbors aren't locals anyway. Outside the boundaries of the community, however, you might want to consider that if it's a concern for you. I really don't care, because I don't advertise my politics and I don't judge people that way.

In our older community, we have quite a turnover. Many of the early residents have aged to the point that they are moving back to where there families are able to care for them, or into IL or AL facilities. So those homes get resold and purchased by younger people. Also the latter half of the boomers are just now starting to be able to retire after recovering from the crash of 2007-08. Also since we're really not age restricted, we always have a few younger than retired folks around. The development is now working with some new builders to develop some lots into smaller, more handi-adapted one level homes for downsizers. And we have a group that's working to develop programs to keep our eldest folks in their homes. We have recently added a ride program for those who are no longer driving, and a volunteer handyman program for small repairs that are too small for a paid service worker to be interested in.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 AM

672 posts, read 837,449 times
Quote:

Very similar experience. We moved to a community that has 5 phases. We moved into phase 3. Phase 4 was just completed and phase 5 has just started. Amazing how fast these homes sell. The community is just wonderful. It is NOT a 55+ but the age range is between late 50s and early 70s, with early 60-mid 60s the average. Mostly retirees, but some do still work locally or from their homes. I see some young families, but not too many. The pool, community & ammenity center, outdoor kitchen facility, lakes, dog parks and outdoor fire pits were all completed when we moved in. Everyone is very friendly and there are so many functions, parties, get togethers, card games, dances, bike rides, walkers/joggers club, book clubs, that we couldn't possibly join everything. The great thing is that we all moved in about the same time and everyone is "in the same boat". All anxious to meet new people and have a great retirement. We have no regrets and from speaking to many of the people in our development they all feel the same way. Love it here

Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,466,666 times
No matter what your choice, be very, very careful and do your homework. Communities all have one problem or another and you could lose everything if you don't understand what you are signing. There are many traps so keep your eyes open.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:56 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
We went with a newer established neighborhood. Our house was 10 years old, so it was fairly modern as far as construction, plumbing and electrical go. And we got a killer deal. Not because there was anything wrong, but because it was very dated and unbeknownst to us, the owner was having medical problems. So they just wanted to sell. We replaced all the flooring with tile, upgraded the kitchen with granite and stainless steel appliances, painted the interior, added doors to the master bath and den, and did some landscaping in front. All brought our total expenditure to what we had originally budgeted and we had a house that matched our tastes and was fully modernized. Our subdivision only has 67 homes and we already know all of our closest neighbors. One of our former neighbors, who was the only renter in the subdivision, was thinking about buying our home, but hesitated. He wound up buying a new home that was much smaller and more expensive than our home. If we had it to all over again, we wouldn't do anything differently.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I am researching retirement communities now and at least in NJ there is a very high premium to purchase new.

The price on the resale in an existing community with similar facilities is substantially lower than new.

I thought most retired people were bailing out of NJ. Property, income and sales tax alone must be $15,000 or more a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or