U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Learning a new musical instrument. How exciting for you! I so love not having to spend most of my time " adulting" don't you?

adulting ? are you kidding , we are so bad.

my wife and i have no adult supervision .

at times it is terrible because we are in to all the same hobby's .

it isn't like a wife telling me i don't need a 3000.00 dollar camera body . in our case it is like we have to buy 2 .

there is no one telling us i don't think you should do this or that or buy this or that . sometimes we are just out of control a bit .

i even got her target shooting at the range with me so she decided she liked one of my guns . so now it is like i am taking that one , just go buy whatever you want .

then it is our cameras and lenses , now it is all about her learning to play drums and me getting back in to it after being a pro drummer decades ago .

this lack of adult supervision never ends ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-10-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,742,235 times
adulting...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=8302298

Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
I'm still in the veg out state. 2 weeks in Hawaiii, one week enjoying the rain at home, ie not commuting, and this week I'm in Las Vegas for CES.
However, it's not been easy, lots of time spent getting money that was earmarked for retirement. And some of paperwork requires notorization. So it's a lot of work still. The good news is, my pension is coming in Feb. But other source of money is unknown. Good thing,I moved some money at the peak, a few weeks ago to cash for spending money. So at least I'm on for a while.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-10-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
I'm coming up on 6 months of being retired and we are deep into the frozen tundra here. Cabin fever has set in a bit and I called our neighbors yesterday to come for pizza movie night. Her husband lost his job in his early 50's and he retired, she's around 55 and just retired. John retired at 56 two years ago. We are all still young enough to get out there and enjoy life. We still rollers skate on Friday mornings and ice skate, which I'd like to do once a week as well.

We are still purging things that have been just sleeping in the attic and closets and so far have made nearly a grand. We made new friends last week through an antique phonograph forum. It's a wonderful thing when strangers connect and spend an afternoon listening to antique 78's together as if they've known each other a lifetime. They have an adorable autistic 6 year old and I fell in love with him that afternoon.

I wanted to sigh up for an upholstery class but it interferes with our ski trip coming up to the U.P. in Michigan. I still can't stand the thought of having anything structured in my life. I spent decades on a strict time schedule which averaged seeing a patient every 15 minutes and sometimes balancing two at a time.

I just finished a closet project and we cleaned that mess up yesterday. I have another project waiting for me at one of my besties house. I did one for another friend that lasted a week in September, and I redid our hall way upstairs in August. We will be starting our patio project as soon as the weather breaks.

I'm a tad bored now and haven't been able to walk the dogs in weeks because of our strange weather. The plus side is that the house is meticulously clean and organized, and I have a couple of small maintenance projects to do. (John can't plaster and tape drywall seams nearly as well as I can so I do it.)

Do I want to go back to work? For every yes answer there are ten no answers Being bored has it's advantages too. I've been sugar free for ten days now and I can't do that at work. The job was such high stress and high octane that I had to have that candy bar to cope. It was my glass of wine, and it was always around at work.

My happiness factor on a scale of one to ten is an 8, only because some of my friends are going through difficult times. One had a heart attack in his early 50's, another a mini stroke. She's only 52. The common denominator for both of them were their weight. Neither smoked. A gentle reminder dear ones is to stay active and live clean. These heath issues just aren't worth that cigarette, over indulgence in alcohol, and all that sugar.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:15 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think it would be nice to give updates on how retirement is working for me and possibly for the benefit to the other soon to be retired. Encouragement.

Not everyone is the same. I have hobbies and picked up two more a month ago. That was a plan. Working out fine. I am a musician and decided to take up a third instrument-unrelated to my other two. Half hour a day plus a one hour lesson per week. Health club, three hours a week. I do ski this time of year, but what is interesting is my time is filled with relaxing and doing stuff that I used to cram into evenings and weekends. I feel I have time to give and no longer feel selfish in that area. (I am sorry, but it is Saturday and I am not going give up my ski or bike morning for your worthy cause.) Next time my church asks for help, I will say OK. I will now have more time than money. I give, but you know what: money is cheap compared with time when you can't afford the time.

Feel way more relaxed. No job stress. No more getting up too early and feeling tired all day.

I am sure that opportunities will come my way to further fill my time. I do have space that I will want to fill, but four weeks in, it is nice. Being retired is good-very good.
Sounds like you're on a great start to a great retirement. Kudoes!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:41 PM

1,076 posts, read 646,372 times
Lucky you! Retiring in the Sierra Nevada mountains sounds dreamy to me. Congrats! Maybe assist at a wildlife rehab center?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:19 PM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Congratulations.
I dont' know anyone who's retired and not loved it!
It's great, isn't it?

Old 01-10-2016, 02:48 PM

8,395 posts, read 9,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Learning a new musical instrument. How exciting for you! I so love not having to spend most of my time " adulting" don't you?
I think I know what you mean by "adulting".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That sounds great. I retired in 2009, and still have zero stress and it's nice to be able to do something and take my time, or have a 3 hour lunch with an adult beverage or go to the Wednesday afternoon $5 movie matinee. When someone asks "don't you miss working" I just laugh. Hysterically.

Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.
Thanks and I feel sorry for anyone who would ask me if I miss working, unless it was meant as a joke.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times
I've retired twice but am now back to work because I was bored. But the one thing I do miss by not being retired now is my afternoon nap with one of my fur buddies. I REALLY liked that nap a lot.

Don

Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,071,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think it would be nice to give updates on how retirement is working for me and possibly for the benefit to the other soon to be retired. Encouragement.

Not everyone is the same. I have hobbies and picked up two more a month ago. That was a plan. Working out fine. I am a musician and decided to take up a third instrument-unrelated to my other two. Half hour a day plus a one hour lesson per week. Health club, three hours a week. I do ski this time of year, but what is interesting is my time is filled with relaxing and doing stuff that I used to cram into evenings and weekends. I feel I have time to give and no longer feel selfish in that area. (I am sorry, but it is Saturday and I am not going give up my ski or bike morning for your worthy cause.) Next time my church asks for help, I will say OK. I will now have more time than money. I give, but you know what: money is cheap compared with time when you can't afford the time.

Feel way more relaxed. No job stress. No more getting up too early and feeling tired all day.

I am sure that opportunities will come my way to further fill my time. I do have space that I will want to fill, but four weeks in, it is nice. Being retired is good-very good.

It's nice to hear you can afford to do your things. Good for you!

I relish waking without an alarm clock and staying up as long as I feel like it. My hobbies have increased as well and I am never without something creative to do, never bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement