U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM

56,352 posts, read 54,783,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Since retiring, I almost always get seven to eight hours of sleep. That never happened when I was working. And, I actually drink more afternoon coffee than I did while working. It helps that my new kitty waits until I'm beginning to awake before pouncing.

Job stress is a definite sleep killer.
I know. 37 years of sleep deprivation. Goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM

56,352 posts, read 54,783,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In more ways that you will notice come March one! More so by April.
I can't wait. I am home with a back injury. Nothing cracked, just bad bruising and a lot of pain. Filed December 23 but my boss was out so I intended to tell her on the 4th then fell down the stairs on the 2nd.

So I had to finally tell her by phone yesterday. Today my two closest coworkers called to see how I was. Because my retirement will affect their workload, I let them know.

Got a nasty email from the control-freak boss that she wishes I hadn't told them until SHE was ready to let people know... I remembered that this BS is one of the reasons I don't want to work there anymore. Always walking on eggshells over stupid stuff.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,183,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Since retiring, I almost always get seven to eight hours of sleep. That never happened when I was working. And, I actually drink more afternoon coffee than I did while working. It helps that my new kitty waits until I'm beginning to awake before pouncing.

Job stress is a definite sleep killer.
I have no problems going to sleep. I simply lack the time to do it.

Not enough hours in each day.

Try to catch up on weekends and days off. But it's like a form of debt. There is going to be hole to dig out of if the time ever comes.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 PM

26,180 posts, read 28,587,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Still say "it's great as long as people have the finances to cover the fun they are suppose to have". Does anybody here know of anyone who has to live solely off of Social Security? I know Social Security was never meant for that, but there are many out there that either didn't want to or couldn't stay on a job for years and get a pension. There is being laid-off, company closing or a person's own reasons for leaving a company.

Retirement is suppose to be a happy time, but that "happy time" can only happen if there enough finances to support that.

I love being retired, but then again, I was never a person who really loved to work in the first place.
There was never a time when everyone got a pension. Even at their peak, only about 50% of people got them. You're still supposed to save your own money in addition so SS. Some people legitimately can't save. Most people can.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 656,015 times
Ak! My husb. has been off work, waiting for the paperwork shuffle to finally get done and contracts signed before going back out to do the physical stuff. Today for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks he was out with trucks and tools and running from one thing to the next, with hard physical stuff done. His mood has so lifted and he is so happy to be back out there working. Technically he is past retirement age. He could have retired a couple years ago. He just can't wrap his mind around it.

I've been busy every single minute with bookkeeping chores and all that is finally off to the CPA today and I have some breathing room. And he comes home with a great attitude, going off to bed early to be ready to go early tomorrow morning. Like the work has breathed new life into him.

I don't know if we're ever going to get to retire. What do I do with a guy like this? I'm so tired of this rat race. Y'all who are retired, enjoy your time for me.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 5,944,251 times
I don't get a pension so I am living on SS, supplemented by 401K withdrawals, and wondering/worrying how long it will last. I just turned 65 last year so I had to decide what to do with the 401K. I moved it to Vanguard, where it sat in a money-market until I decided where to invest it. I finally decided, and the money was moved last week....right before the stock market crashed. OMG, what luck. I don't even want to LOOK at it.

I am not bored in the slightest in retirement. Facebook has helped keep me in touch with many co-workers from a 30-year career at the same company. However, the company had been acquired by a foreign conglomerate, and after that, working there was no longer fun. Don't miss it one bit.

I live in a 55+ community with about 70% snowbirds. This time of year gets super-busy, with activities every weekend, and lots of get-togethers, card games and entertaining. And then by May, they're all gone and we have our quiet lives back and can catch up on all the stuff we've postponed during "season". To me, it's the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement