U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times

Advertisements

I think it would be nice to give updates on how retirement is working for me and possibly for the benefit to the other soon to be retired. Encouragement.

Not everyone is the same. I have hobbies and picked up two more a month ago. That was a plan. Working out fine. I am a musician and decided to take up a third instrument-unrelated to my other two. Half hour a day plus a one hour lesson per week. Health club, three hours a week. I do ski this time of year, but what is interesting is my time is filled with relaxing and doing stuff that I used to cram into evenings and weekends. I feel I have time to give and no longer feel selfish in that area. (I am sorry, but it is Saturday and I am not going give up my ski or bike morning for your worthy cause.) Next time my church asks for help, I will say OK. I will now have more time than money. I give, but you know what: money is cheap compared with time when you can't afford the time.

Feel way more relaxed. No job stress. No more getting up too early and feeling tired all day.

I am sure that opportunities will come my way to further fill my time. I do have space that I will want to fill, but four weeks in, it is nice. Being retired is good-very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:30 PM

6,123 posts, read 9,076,489 times
Excellent adjustment in my opinion. Enjoy what you have found to be the good stuff of retirement ! And I envy your ability to ski. Wish I could still do that.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:36 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Great report, congratulations!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 AM

18,479 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think it would be nice to give updates on how retirement is working for me and possibly for the benefit to the other soon to be retired. Encouragement.

Not everyone is the same. I have hobbies and picked up two more a month ago. That was a plan. Working out fine. I am a musician and decided to take up a third instrument-unrelated to my other two. Half hour a day plus a one hour lesson per week. Health club, three hours a week. I do ski this time of year, but what is interesting is my time is filled with relaxing and doing stuff that I used to cram into evenings and weekends. I feel I have time to give and no longer feel selfish in that area. (I am sorry, but it is Saturday and I am not going give up my ski or bike morning for your worthy cause.) Next time my church asks for help, I will say OK. I will now have more time than money. I give, but you know what: money is cheap compared with time when you can't afford the time.

Feel way more relaxed. No job stress. No more getting up too early and feeling tired all day.

I am sure that opportunities will come my way to further fill my time. I do have space that I will want to fill, but four weeks in, it is nice. Being retired is good-very good.
Congratulations and nice update. I retired 2 weeks ago and I'm so much more relaxed. The stock market dump has caused a little bit of stress since that's part of my retirement income. I'm eating better and have started yoga and will start my lifting routine on Monday.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:15 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
we are going in to 6 months and are busier then ever .

in fact not only did i go back to playing drums again which i have not done in decades but my wife wants to learn so we have two hours a day devoted to just that .

we are at the gym daily early every morning and usually busy with our photography hobby most afternoon's.

then there are the grand kids on the weekends . some weeks we just plain run out of time . with both long island and manhattan right near by there are just endless things to do .

headed out on a hunting trip this tuesday .

i have been doing technical training in my industry 2 days a month as a consultant which is nice since i get to interface with others besides family and make a few hundred bucks .

Old 01-10-2016, 08:37 AM

7,110 posts, read 8,150,955 times
I've just passed the 3-year mark. My observation is, more work and more time taken from your ability to just relax, will occur over the next few years. Enjoy these initial weeks and months, as "real life" will once again filter back into your schedule. Not at all a bad thing; it reminds you that you're still alive!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,741,265 times
I couldn't help but think... this just may turn into the equivalent of....

Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM

630 posts, read 402,804 times
Learning a new musical instrument. How exciting for you! I so love not having to spend most of my time " adulting" don't you?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
Well, unfortunately, not everyone can stay on the same job for numerous years, get a nice pension and live a good financial life. There are those that have to try and live solely off of SS and that sure isn't easy.

As for myself, I'm retired, but that is on SS income only. Doesn't bother my wife b/c I do so much around our home. She likes, almost loves, to work and is working a full-time job that she got at the end of Nov. No weekend work, so that makes us both very happy. She makes a descent salary for her age (68 this month) and next month will start getting SS as well. By 70, when she does finally retire, she will most likely work a part-time job to keep herself occupied.

Retirement can surely be nice, if people have the finances to really enjoy it.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM

11,083 posts, read 12,467,812 times
That sounds great. I retired in 2009, and still have zero stress and it's nice to be able to do something and take my time, or have a 3 hour lunch with an adult beverage or go to the Wednesday afternoon $5 movie matinee. When someone asks "don't you miss working" I just laugh. Hysterically.

Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement