U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,712,528 times

Advertisements

I always time my routes through Atlanta to be either on Saturday/Sunday when there isn't a major sports event/concert or from 10pm-4am. I've taken the bypass but, honestly, going straight through would probably be best if the timing works out for you. If not and you are not on a schedule, you can take the 'scenic route' via Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile and then across the panhandle via I-10 if you want to avoid the highway through Dothan. It may add a day to your drive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 AM

676 posts, read 745,804 times
Default Fl

Thank you.....yes, finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Best wishes on your move. I remember you have been wanting to move to Florida. I am so happy your dream is coming to fruition. We live in SC, but, LOVE Florida, and travel there as often as we can!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 AM

Default Atlanta

Wow, yes this does help, I am going to print this out and take it with me. My husband used to help but he now has Mild Dementia and really can't help. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Hey there,

I'm a native of Atlanta and if I was in the same situation as you, I would go straight through the city on I-75 (becomes I-75 and I-85 or the 'Downtown Connector' through the city) then 75 and 85 separate a few miles south of town. I would recommend timing it so you go through the city between 10:30am and 2:00pm if you possibly can. After 10:30am, all morning accidents and any other problems will be cleared and the snarled traffic from those accidents will dissipate by then. If you get through town by 2pm, you don't have to worrya bout afternoon traffic.

The reason I would go directly through town on I-75 instead of using I-285 to go around the city is because you won't need to change lanes and exit/merge on and off multiple times while towing a 16ft trailer! A very helpful hint- as you approach the intersection with I-285 while one I-75 South (on the north side of town), make certain that you are at least four lanes over from the left. The three left lanes all exit onto to I-285, the 4th-7th lanes continue on I-75. You may also want to utilize the HOV (any vehicle with two or more people can use it) as you go through town. The lane will turn back into a regular lane at the intersection with I-285 on the south side.

Does that make sense? If you have any other questions or need more info about any part of driving in North Georgia, feel free to send me a PM!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 848,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Wow, yes this does help, I am going to print this out and take it with me. My husband used to help but he now has Mild Dementia and really can't help. Thank you.
Glad I could help! I've lived here for all of my 41 years and I still have to count from the right at the 285 interchange to make sure I'm in the lane I should be!

I previously said to be sure that you are AT LEAST in the fourth lane from the right. That lane is the right-most lane that continues on I-75 South but they are currently doing a lot of road work there and there are a few ramps that dump traffic into that lane, so I'm going to change and advise you to be in the 5th lane from the right instead.

I actually have a dr's appt a few exits inside the Perimeter today at 1:30pm. I'll go right thru the I-75/I-285 interchange and I'll look to make sure I'm giving you the best advice.

On a separate note, I am very sorry to hear about your husband's dementia. I have been caregiver to a great-aunt that had Alzheimer's and full-tiem caregiver fo rmy grandmother who passed away on Mother's Day of last year. I can't imagine how it must be to take care of a spouse with that kind of disease. It is such an insidious, cruel disease.....I don't know what else to say except I'm sorry and I wish you the very best!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 AM

2,851 posts, read 917,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I travel to and through Atlanta a lot. In my experience, if you are going through during the work week, then take the 285 bypass and get there around 1 or so in the afternoon. But the absolute best time is early on a Sunday morning and go straight through as more of the traffic will be on 285.

If you could flip your schedule and travel at night, then obviously 2 in the morning is always best.

One thing, if you're traveling to the east side of the state, Orlando etc. Then you could always go to Nashville, I-40 to Asheville, I-26 through South Carolina to I-95, completely missing GA entirely.
Last I looked, I-95 goes thru GA from SC... so how you figure you miss it completely is beyond me - unless you MEANT bypass Atlanta...

Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,436,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I travel to and through Atlanta a lot. In my experience, if you are going through during the work week, then take the 285 bypass and get there around 1 or so in the afternoon. But the absolute best time is early on a Sunday morning and go straight through as more of the traffic will be on 285.

If you could flip your schedule and travel at night, then obviously 2 in the morning is always best.

One thing, if you're traveling to the east side of the state, Orlando etc. Then you could always go to Nashville, I-40 to Asheville, I-26 through South Carolina to I-95, completely missing GA entirely.
Perhaps you meant for the OP to pick up I-40 in Knoxville, as Nashville is way out of the way - far to the west - of her ideal route, and a four hour drive from Lexington, KY. Going to Florida by Nashville and Asheville from Lexington would add at least seven or eight hours to the journey.

On the other hand, taking I-75 to Knoxville, then picking up I-40 to Asheville and continuing as you suggest would be feasible, though longer than the GA route.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Dementia

Thank you so much for your concern. That is why I am getting down to FL now before he gets worse. Right now he is losing more of his short term memory. He still is very pleasant to be around so I am planning my life out in case the worst happens and it will. He is very excited about moving to FL...We love it down there. Thank you for wishing me a good life. Yes, it is a Demon disease. He is only 68. I get a lot of comfort from the Caregiving forum on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Glad I could help! I've lived here for all of my 41 years and I still have to count from the right at the 285 interchange to make sure I'm in the lane I should be!

I previously said to be sure that you are AT LEAST in the fourth lane from the right. That lane is the right-most lane that continues on I-75 South but they are currently doing a lot of road work there and there are a few ramps that dump traffic into that lane, so I'm going to change and advise you to be in the 5th lane from the right instead.

I actually have a dr's appt a few exits inside the Perimeter today at 1:30pm. I'll go right thru the I-75/I-285 interchange and I'll look to make sure I'm giving you the best advice.

On a separate note, I am very sorry to hear about your husband's dementia. I have been caregiver to a great-aunt that had Alzheimer's and full-tiem caregiver fo rmy grandmother who passed away on Mother's Day of last year. I can't imagine how it must be to take care of a spouse with that kind of disease. It is such an insidious, cruel disease.....I don't know what else to say except I'm sorry and I wish you the very best!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,755,518 times
We have always planned our trips around going through Atlanta very early in the morning, around 2-4am. Stop just north or south of the city for the night, and get that early start. We always stay on I-75, as that is the straightest route. We have been through the city hauling an 18 ft flatbed with a car on it, a 41 ft fifth wheel, and a big travel trailer. There is never much traffic, and the route is pretty straight with few tricky lane changes. Good luck with it.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:45 AM

Default Atlanta

Holy c--p...........you're more of a man/woman than I am. This does make me fell better though. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
We have always planned our trips around going through Atlanta very early in the morning, around 2-4am. Stop just north or south of the city for the night, and get that early start. We always stay on I-75, as that is the straightest route. We have been through the city hauling an 18 ft flatbed with a car on it, a 41 ft fifth wheel, and a big travel trailer. There is never much traffic, and the route is pretty straight with few tricky lane changes. Good luck with it.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 AM

241 posts, read 226,814 times
This has been a nightmare at times for us. We do the drive 4-5 times a year and right now are still working and drive straight through. That will change when we retire, we will take our time but be driving an RV.

Now we have had the most difficulty on the south side going south when we thought we have cleared the traffic. Last time was horrible. Our best success has been to hit in overnight if driving during the week or on the weekends as many have stated here. We have never had success with the bypass.

I will have to look at the 27 option especially when we retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or