U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,887,120 times

Advertisements

I am late to this and something of a "me too" - I also go straight through when traveling through it. I have family around Atlanta and lived there for many years when I was younger. I-285 quit being reliably faster than going through town decades ago; the burbs have as much congestion as the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 AM

76 posts, read 66,621 times
I travel from south Georgia to North Carolina every month. I, too, was getting ready to pull a 27 foot camper and going through Atlanta scared the you-know-what out of me. After a couple different routes, we settled on Hwy 92, which goes all the way around Atlanta on the west side. We get on 92 in Griffin, which is south of Atlanta, and just follow 92 from Griffin to Fayetteville, to Fairburn, to Douglasville, to Hiram, to Acworth, to Woodstock and we get off there onto 575 and continue north. It may add an extra half hour or so to your trip, but it'w well worth it to me. Just be mindful that these are "little Atlanta" towns, so try to avoid rush hour, and Friday night high school football traffic.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM

649 posts, read 555,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Last I looked, I-95 goes thru GA from SC... so how you figure you miss it completely is beyond me - unless you MEANT bypass Atlanta...
You're right, I always miss that little stretch from Savannah to Jacksonville, and as the other poster pointed out, I also meant Knoxville..what happens when you post early in the morning before the coffee kicks in.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 852,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am late to this and something of a "me too" - I also go straight through when traveling through it. I have family around Atlanta and lived there for many years when I was younger. I-285 quit being reliably faster than going through town decades ago; the burbs have as much congestion as the city.
When I-285 originally opened in 1969, it was the answer to prayers for travelers because they could now avoid downtown Atlanta. As of 2014, MORE than two million (2,000,000) cars use I-285 every day M-F. All truck traffic is required to use I-285 because it is illegal for trucks with more than so many axles or wheels and various other specifications to go thru town on I-75/85. So 285 is literally over-capacity much of the time. They are currently working on several miles of the East-bound side near the top end (where it meets I-75). They only work nights and weekends, but the lanes they're working on remain closed and traffic is a nightmare from HELL! The week before Thanksgiving, I was driving to the airport at 6pm on a Saturday evening. The radio news station in Atlanta, WSB- 95.5 FM, gives a weather forecast and traffic update every seven minutes (helpful to anyone who may be driving in or thru Atlanta). I live about 50 minutes north-northeast of the I-285/I-75 interchange on the north side. I listened to the 95.5 most of way and an accident has all lanes of the Downtown Connector southbound closed for about 90 minutes. So it was a no-brainer that I would take I-285 to the airport My side, west bound, of 285 was flowing normally but they working on the other side and traffic was snarled for over 4 miles!

So the best route, going around downtown or through it, depends on factors that can change in a matter of minutes. For the OP, I think staying on I-75 and going thru town is best because merging onto I-285 and merging back onto I-75 on the south side can be a little bit of a hassle. Driving a big pickup truck with a loaded 16-foot trailer would make these transitions very stressful and potentially dangerous depending on the idiots surrounding you, so I-75 is the simpler way.

I returned from the trip I mentioned above a little after 10pm on a Friday night. Thanks to the radio reports and the 4-mile long line of traffic I remembered from a week earlier, I went from airport straight thru downtown and never even hit the brakes once! Meanwhile, they were reporting a 50-60 minute delay on 285 where they were working.

I'm beating a dead horse, but we desperately need the "Outer Perimeter" which was planned as a ring road like 285 but located in the suburbs 20-25 miles further out than 285. It was in the planning stages and several bridges along the route were already under construction when political, financial and environmental pressures caused the entire project to be scrapped. A revised plan to build the northern 1/3 resurfaced with wide support about 10 years ago, but the source of financing was an issue and the environmental issues were also considered a show stopper. The environmental problem was a small area of wetlands and they are protected by numerous laws. I'm very pro-environment (if we keep destroying it, where will people live in the future) but an independent study conducted by a Georgia Tech professor calculated how much fuel would be saved and how much less emissions would pollute the air if the Northern Arc was built. I don't recall the exact figures, but even the most staunch tree-hugger would have said build the Northern Arc after seeing those results! Too bad you can't move a swamp.....

Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM

13,725 posts, read 8,617,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband and I are moving to FL the first of Feb. I am not so much dreading the trip down pulling a 16 ft. U Haul but getting through Atlanta one more time has me very much on edge. I hate it !!!! What is the best way to get through that place? One of the bypasses or just white knuckle it straight through. We have been to FL many times and throughout the years and has become a nightmare. We are coming from around Lexington, KY. Is there ANY other way around that you all take? I looked at the map and didn't see anything. Also what time is the best time to go through? Thank you all so much..
There are lots of good comments here. I drove an 18 wheeler through Atlanta many times and can't find much argument with most posts.

So I'll offer this:
Pick a lane and stay in it. There are no situations that I can think of where the right lane ends, so if I were inexperienced I would pick a speed I was comfortable with and just cruise through, straight through town. Pay close attention to all the signs. Staying to the right will mean that any lane changing that has to be done will be done to the left, which is easier for you. Use your signal and give yourself plenty of room. Put on some mellow music and relax behind the wheel. You'll do fine.

One more thing: If you are in the right lane and someone comes up on the on ramp on your right, it is not up to you to make room for him. He has the yield sign, not you, so don't go thinking you have to move over. If it is convenient, then yes, move over, but if there is traffic on your left just stay in your lane.

Last edited by Listener2307; 01-13-2016 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 12:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 852,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There are lots of good comments here. I drove an 18 wheeler through Atlanta many times and can't find much argument with most posts.

So I'll offer this:
Pick a lane and stay in it. There are no situations that I can think of where the right lane ends, so if I were inexperienced I would pick a speed I was comfortable with and just cruise through, straight through town. Pay close attention to all the signs. Staying to the right will mean that any lane changing that has to be done will be done to the left, which is easier for you. Use your signal and give yourself plenty of room. Put on some mellow music and relax behind the wheel. You'll do fine.

One more thing: If you are in the right lane and someone comes up on the on ramp on your right, it is not up to you to make room for him. He has the yield sign, not you, so don't go thinking you have to move over. If it is convenient, then yes, move over, but if there is traffic on your left just stay in your lane.
I don't disagree with our advice about picking a lane and staying in it...but there are a few specific exceptions to that.

First, going through downtown, it's a lot easier to be one lane over from the right lane rather than the far right lane. There are so many on-ramps with merging traffic that it just makes more sense to be one lane over.

Your advice about traffic merging from on-ramps is incorrect, at least for Georgia. The Georgia DDS (Department of Driver Services) Manual states the following-

"If traffic from another roadway is merging into the roadway you are traveling on, safely change lanes away from the merging traffic if possible. If it is not possible to change lanes away from the merging traffic, adjust your speed and vehicle position to safely allow the traffic to merge."

So letting oncoming traffic merge is required by law. I'm one of the relatively few drivers that seem to look ahead and monitor on-ramps for cars that will be merging. I adjust my speed or move over well ahead of them trying frantically to move into the travel lane and it makes things much easier all around.

You are correct that the situation is different with a YIELD sign. But the on-ramp of GA interstates doesn't have those.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 AM

676 posts, read 747,287 times
I want to thank you all for maybe saving my life ! If I can get thru this one more time to move I will NOT go anywhere near Atlanta if I have to come back for a death in the family ! That's how I feel. I will keep you posted and take you all with me. Love you all and God Bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or