U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:30 AM

676 posts, read 745,804 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to FL the first of Feb. I am not so much dreading the trip down pulling a 16 ft. U Haul but getting through Atlanta one more time has me very much on edge. I hate it !!!! What is the best way to get through that place? One of the bypasses or just white knuckle it straight through. We have been to FL many times and throughout the years and has become a nightmare. We are coming from around Lexington, KY. Is there ANY other way around that you all take? I looked at the map and didn't see anything. Also what time is the best time to go through? Thank you all so much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 AM

649 posts, read 554,328 times
I travel to and through Atlanta a lot. In my experience, if you are going through during the work week, then take the 285 bypass and get there around 1 or so in the afternoon. But the absolute best time is early on a Sunday morning and go straight through as more of the traffic will be on 285.

If you could flip your schedule and travel at night, then obviously 2 in the morning is always best.

One thing, if you're traveling to the east side of the state, Orlando etc. Then you could always go to Nashville, I-40 to Asheville, I-26 through South Carolina to I-95, completely missing GA entirely.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
I keep trying to tell people that Los Angeles is not the only city with bad traffic congestion. I, too have experienced Atlanta, and it's grim, although I don't understand the OP's extreme reaction. It's just a question of having patience and putting up with the delays.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,300,496 times
In Georgia, all roads lead to Atlanta. I have been through Atlanta at least 30 times in the last 6 years and have never found a good way through Georgia that didn't go through Atlanta. Just pick a low traffic time and suck it up. I have always been partial to 3am. Even the traffic it noon can be bad especially on Fridays.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
When we're going "through" Atlanta - as opposed to "to Atlanta" - we turn on the traffic reports about an hour outside the city (on XM radio - although I'm sure there are local AM stations with traffic reports). See which route is best traffic-wise then - and use that one. I wouldn't advise anyone to drive at 3 am - unless one is very familiar with driving in the middle of the night. On our part - we avoid driving on busy interstates at night these days. If we wake up early in the morning - and drive until it's dark - that's enough driving for us for one day.

I would also check the internet for construction and similar issues on roads outside Atlanta before and during the trip. And I'd bring some good maps with me. Last time we went to Atlanta - our biggest problem wasn't the traffic in Atlanta - but a bad accident on I-75 south of Atlanta that had all of I-75 closed. Traffic was re-routed on the back roads. We had to buy a detailed map at a convenience store to figure out the best way to get back on I-75 after we were detoured off of it.

Also - this is prime snowbird migration time - north to south. I would allow for traffic delays along the way - and give myself plenty of time to make the trip. As long as you don't try to rush things - you should be fine. Robyn

Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
WSB 750 AM or 95.5 FM does traffic reports every 10 min during rush hours 5-10a & 3-7p and every 30 min other times 24x7

Georgia 511 has a map of the Bad Spot and other traffic issues across GA. Has a good map of Atlanta Issues.

So you can tell if its better to go around the city on I285 or thru the city.

But.... Just for planning if you are doing it during the day 9 out of 10 times its better to take the I285 route.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:22 AM

5,225 posts, read 3,637,448 times
I live in Geogia and Atlanta is bad. If it was me ,up around Chattanooga, I would get on US 27 and drive on down to Tallahssee. The majority is 4lane,very little traffic. I always think this route is one of Georgia's best kept secrets.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I travel to and through Atlanta a lot. In my experience, if you are going through during the work week, then take the 285 bypass and get there around 1 or so in the afternoon. But the absolute best time is early on a Sunday morning and go straight through as more of the traffic will be on 285.

If you could flip your schedule and travel at night, then obviously 2 in the morning is always best.

One thing, if you're traveling to the east side of the state, Orlando etc. Then you could always go to Nashville, I-40 to Asheville, I-26 through South Carolina to I-95, completely missing GA entirely.
I'll second the Sunday morning drive straight through on 75. We've done that the last three times we have gone through and it was a real pleasure compared to other times.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'll second the Sunday morning drive straight through on 75. .
+1.
When circumstances demand we drive through Atlanta, we time it so that we spend Saturday night in a hotel/motel in one of the exurbs, then we drive through or around the city sometime around 7-9 AM Sunday.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM

13,915 posts, read 7,411,228 times
I've done the airport to north of the city (Perimeter Center / I-285 at 400) drive a bajillion times. Just avoid rush hour or loop around downtown on I-285.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or