U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 AM

7,338 posts, read 16,637,122 times

Advertisements

Like one Reply, we have sold on Craigslist before with absolutely no problems. We've had people come into both our house we use to have and our current apartment to look at things we put on for sale. But, that's us. In fact, I'm going to be in the process of putting a couple of things on Craigslist in the near future.

Have never used e-bay, because of the cost, time limit and self-shipping.

What we haven't sold on Craigslist, we've taken to Goodwill and Salvation Army. Only thing is, some things are worth too much to just give to them.

My wife was pretty much a major "saver" when I met her, but she has changed considerably since we've been together. She has even said to me, "if you see something that you know we won't use anymore, just take it to the Goodwill and not tell me about it until later." I just done that with a lighted/animated Buck Deer we had for Christmas. Have had it for some 10 years and the wicker was starting to unravel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times
We had nothing especially valuable. Mostly it was old exercise equipment in fantastic shape but relatively worthless just because styles changed. Some of it was older electronics, most of which still worked for what it did, but was relatively worthless because many folks, like ourselves, no longer get our music over the air or from CDs, and no longer watch standard definition television/VHS tapes. There was some excess pressboard furniture as well. One day a week or so before we moved, we piled it all up in the basement - packed tightly it was about 15' x 15' by about 5' high - and paid trash haulers a substantial amount to load it out and take it away. Good riddance.

We also had a substantial amount of books. We picked out a very small amount that had sentimental value, and added in enough of those that looked nice enough to fill both front and back of a two-sided bookcase that would be visible from the entry hall, and the rest were donated. We actually kept five bookcases (leaving two for the buyers of our home in Massachusetts) and four that didn't need to be packed like the two-sided did now look wonderfully uncluttered. My spouse commented on how much nicer books on a bookshelf look when there's lots of empty space (which, of course, will never get re-cluttered, now that rely on e-books).

Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 AM

672 posts, read 837,744 times
We were able to have a garage sale. Can your kids come for a weekend and while cleaning out their stuff help you with a sale? We donated so much stuff from what didn't sell in the sale. Big Brothers Big Sisters in our area comes right to your door to get things. When we cleaned out mom and dad's place we donated what we could and then called UGOTJUNK...best call we made.

I wouldn't hesitate to put the things on Craigslist and then, like another poster suggested, put it in my garage and if you're worried, have a neighbor or 2 over at the time they are coming. We sold our furniture dirt cheap (I mean dirt cheap) so we can get rid of it all on CL.

Hopefully your children make a trip to help you by cleaning out their own things! It would be a big help.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times
We thought about Craigslist, but to be honest so much of the stuff was of such little value that the risk wasn't worth it. Nationwide, police are advising citizens to only transact Craigslist transactions within the confines of a public place, such as the lobby of police precincts. I take such advisories seriously.

Craigslist Safe Zones Offer Security - US News

Online Transaction Safezone | Lake in the Hills

New Mexico police department joins movement, creates 'safe site' for Craigslist transactions | Fox Business

Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Check into using local Facebook buy and sell pages.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 AM

484 posts, read 478,617 times
When we moved from Wisconsin to Arizona, we didn't want to pay the enormous cost of moving everything. Plus, our old furniture wouldnt have looked right in our new home. So we essentially gave everything away...with the exception of some things that could be packed in boxes and shipped. Our kids made out like bandits...as did a struggling couple we know who "inherited" our entire master bedroom set, along with various other pieces of furniture.

Their gratitude and appreciation more than made up for any money we could have gotten by selling that stuff. As they say, "one man's junk is another man's treasure." Not that our stuff was junk...but you get the picture. No, wait...you can't get the picture. We gave it away...

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,821 times
Certainly if you have family especially children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews in the area or reasonably close, letting them pick through the things that you don't want to take is a great option. We gave a set of cookware that we planned to donate to a neighbor who was very glad to have it.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,596,167 times
When we downsized for a move I did a little of everything. Craigslist worked well where we lived as it was metro DC suburbs where there is a lot of moving and people were looking for stuff. DON'T, however, ever list something for free on CL as it brings everyone out of the woodwork. We did that with a working old freezer. I decided to be a good heart and give it to a group that was feeding the homeless but they were so disorganized and clueless (will it go in the back of a van?) it took them several weeks to get their act together to pick it up. Thankfully it was when we could afford the time to wait.

Along with CL there are Yardsale groups on Facebook as well as Freecycle. I discovered my own neighborhood had a Facebook page which was wonderful because it was easy for pick up and I basically trusted that group (wished I had known it when we were getting rid of the freeze). Habitat for Humanity Restore will pick up from the driveway and there's always the charities of your area.

We have also been doing a lot of EBay which takes time but is not hard once you get by the learning curve. Someone already said it that china and dishes, collectibles, do not sell. Dolls may. I got good money for my old Ken and Barbie dolls and clothes. Best way to learn is to look at completed listings on an eBay search and you can quickly tell if it's worth listing. You never know. I had a box of old DinoRiders from the kids that sold for over $90! Then old dishes won't go for $5.

If you do have a lot and are getting rid of most, then check into an estate type of sale. It would be faster. I think the various groups I mentioned really depend on where you live. Craigslist, the Facebook Yardsale sites, Freecycle worked well when I was in a metro suburbia area. Now I'm in a rural area and too far for anyone to drive for CL and the local Facebook Yardsale site is usually stuff like used clothes (even bras), goats, beat up old trucks, etc. not exactly to my liking!

Last edited by choff5; 01-12-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,383,926 times
I was tasked with single-handedly emptying a three-story house that was jam-packed full (not "cluttered," mind you -- except for the basement -- but many, many boxes neatly stacked and every cabinet, drawer, and closet full) after fifty years of housing various members of my family.

Sorry to say, I just gave up and called an auctioneer -- twice! First for the bulk of my mother's estate (a lot of antique furniture) and again for my own things, which had moved from a couple of different houses to the basement with stuff added along the way, most of which I decided I wouldn't need in my next, small house. You will have to have a lot of stuff, and GOOD stuff, or they won't even bother coming to pick it up or holding an auction for it, although they'll sometimes combine estates. You definitely won't get much for it; that's just a sad fact. Young people today aren't into "old stuff," so antiques have depreciated.

Other than that, I tried my best to "gift" meaningful items to appropriate people, but that also turned out to be a of work. Finally, I can't begin to count the number of boxes, bags, and carloads of small-ticket items (but too good to throw out) that went to charity. Only one organization was willing to come get stuff, and even that had to be bagged, boxed, and left on the porch on a certain day. Yes, I made sure to get receipts for my taxes since the donations ran into the thousands.

Libraries will often take NICE books for their "friends" book sales or collections.

I suppose I couldn't held a yard sale, but that's also a lot of work for little profit and not my thing.

Lastly, thank goodness for curbside trash pickup! We all simply have way too much stuff that no one wants, sadly. I did my best to keep it out of landfills, but in the end my life was more important. I'm just thankful I didn't have to call professional junk haulers in order to leave the house totally empty for the next owners. It took me three full months.

NEVER AGAIN; I now live by the "one in, one out" rule, and if I'm not using it now, it goes.

I know people who claim to make good money selling their crap on eBay or local online yard sales -- even $1 items, which seems like madness to me -- but I don't consider it to be worth the time, trouble, and stranger-danger. If you have just a few things and enjoy that sort of thing, great, but emptying a whole house that way would be very time-consuming. I suppose it depends on your time-frame and energy level. Good luck!

Last edited by otterhere; 01-12-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,821 times
Oh also we did curbside freebies. We took things that still had plenty of life in them like plant pots, rope, used tarps, building materials that were too insignificant to haul to the Restore, garage shelving etc. out to the curb and put a "Free" sign on it. (Not near garbage day!) Sometimes we put a freebie ad in Craigslist if we had a big pile. We took a photo of the pile and said first come, first serve, omitting contact methods except the address. Everything was gone by the next day with rare exception and we pulled the ad. Once a guy pulled up in a station wagon and hauled one pile off. One piece of garage shelving, a heavy pressboard type that had some minor scratching but was just fine for a garage or could have been painted for indoor use sat at the curb for a day or two on one of our freebie offerings, so we put a $10 sign on it and it was gone by the next morning. LOL!

FWIW, here in a rural locale Craigslist would not be as efficient though we have sold a few items even here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement