U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,351,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm dealing with this issue now. My father and his wife were "hoarders" of sorts, but they didn't hoard junk, they hoarded art and antiques. When they were alive, some antique dealer came over and estimated that there was between 7,000 and 10,000 items in the house. It's totally nuts. Anyway, they're both dead and I'm supposed to be doing something about all the stuff in the house. And from what I can tell, there's no magical way to turn "stuff" into money and hope to retain whatever value was there.

-I can call up an auction house and have them come and pack everything up and take it away to be sold. They charge $300 an hour to do that, although some places might do it for free.

-I could arrange for a tag sale to be held at the house.

-I could keep the stuff and spend the rest of my life selling it on EBay (I don't want to do that).

I guess that, in the end we'll try to keep some of the smaller, more valuable items and just get rid of the rest without worrying about the money we'd be "losing." Life is too short to worry about a bunch of nonsense.
Wonder if you can make an arrangement with an auction house to sell the stuff, then hire a local mover to box it all up and cart it over to the auction house. Should be cheaper than $300 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,081,959 times
This is why I did my big sort/dowsizing in the past 10 years.

in 2007 I responded to a call to look at some things (when I had a vintage clothing shop in AK) in a home in the city. It was a medium sized unassuming 60s tract house in middling condition, with a 40' dumpster 8' tall parked in the front yard which I noted from the porch as half full, practically dwarfing the house. The house was apparently owned by elderly parents that had recently been moved to assisted living and both out of state children had come to deal with the house and personal effects.

The front door was opened by a middle aged harried looking man and inside the door things were piled to the ceiling with a 3' wide path going through the center of the mess to the somewhat cleaner kitchen where a harried looking middle aged woman (as it turns out was his sister) was standing. I remarked that the dumpster was going to come in handy. She said that this dumpster was their second one. OMG! As it turns out, they started in the basement which contained 40+ years worth of newspapers, magazines, books, files and mostly junk. That filled the first dumpster. They showed me the closet areas and as I leapt over piles of stuff to the jam packed closets attempting to locate things of interest, I swore I'd never ever do anything remotely like this to any of my family, not that I had anything near that mess but I had way more than I needed to have. I'd seen it two other times almost this bad and a dozen or more with belongings layered all over but not quite to the diagnostic hoarding level, others like my past home with storage areas full of crapola and the result is huge amounts of stress for the family.

Denver, gird your loins and do some advance homework. Research companies that do this in your mother's area and get a sense of who's been around. Read the reviews, File it away for the day and time it will be needed. In that case, like John7777, it's best dealt with by professionals even if it is pennies or nickels on the dollar just to get it done. I feel for you both.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In defense of the old people, antiques USED to be valuable, so I know that my mother (at least) kept them in order to have something worthwhile to pass along to her children. She had no way of knowing they would become so devalued in this age of "disposable" things.
It's largely a matter of changing tastes. Many of today's younger generation will pay ridiculous amounts for authentic mid-century modern furniture and knickknacks. "Vintage" has replaced "antique" in their lexicon. I love MCM too but I'm not willing to pay the high prices so I settle for reproductions.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,804,165 times
seems like young people today will happily spend money on crap at IKEA rather than look for and purchase good quality all wood furniture at estate sales. And in many cases the quality stuff is cheaper than the crap from China.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM
bUU

11,884 posts, read 8,668,795 times
It sounds like you haven't actually comparison priced the "cheaper than crap" furniture. It is substantially less expensive that "quality stuff".
  • The advantage of "quality stuff" is that you'll never have to replace it.
  • The disadvantage of "quality stuff" is that you'll never have to replace it.
I think of clothing the way you think of furniture, but I don't question the choice other folks make wanting to keep their wardrobe current.

I think it is best to not view either choice in a negative manner. It's like religion. We each are driven by different things, and that's great. Some people like certain kinds of furniture for certain reasons, and other people like other kinds of furniture for other reasons - still other people don't care for furniture of any kind and seek a more minimalist approach, with as little furniture as possible, easily movable out of the way. One way isn't better than another. The question is which approach is best for you personally, based on your preferences, and which approach is best for someone else, based on their preferences.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM

6,323 posts, read 5,067,075 times
There is another online antique sales page:

The Internet Antique Shop - The Web's largest antiques & collectibles mall serving collectors since 1995

The internet antique shop.

They have all sorts of things and you can set up your own " store".

Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 PM

480 posts, read 508,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
seems like young people today will happily spend money on crap at IKEA rather than look for and purchase good quality all wood furniture at estate sales. And in many cases the quality stuff is cheaper than the crap from China.
Last year we moved from a four bedroom house to a tiny, two bedroom condo three thousand miles away. We hired an auction house which sold everything for us. We had a few antiques that they weren't interested in at all. They called it "brown furniture". They said no one wants it anymore; it's old peoples' furniture. This was South Florida where there are A LOT of old people, so YMMV.

If you have a lot of things to get rid of, I highly recommend it. Stress free, and we got a nice check at the end which we used to buy new furniture in Portland.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM

1,191 posts, read 665,506 times
I agree that the collectibles market has totally collapsed. I really feel sorry for friends who are now trying to dispose of their parents' plate, bell, thimble, bear, doll, figurine, etc. collections (or their own).

They were oversold in the last 1-2 decades and are pretty worthless now, plus the younger generation wants nothing to do with that type of collection. So sad that those parents were convinced they had a gold mine saved for their heirs.

Even older collectibles like Hummels have been flooding the resale market as that generation of women who loved them are passing away. I see them priced for as little as $4.99.

Many young people today have no interest in a separate dining room, along with the china, crystal and sterling sitting in the hutches. They entertain much more informally. If it can't go in the dishwater, forget it!

Not that it is negative, but it is a change of living habits which has been evolving but is probably here to stay.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 3,464,691 times
The Ikea idea also, young people don't have job security & know they may have to move. Why would they invest in good furniture?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 PM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times
When we lived in Florida, we'd have annual neighborhood garage sales. We unloaded a pool table and a dining room set on Craigslist and we took our china and an antique armoire to an antique consignment shop. Approaching retirement, we gave our furniture and a car to our son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement