U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The Ikea idea also, young people don't have job security & know they may have to move. Why would they invest in good furniture?
That's not what I said at all. for the same amount of money they could have something in the box from IKEA which is new or something used which is solid wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
Sorry I misinterpreted. You are right.I'm thinking of my things, I believe. I bought some really decent furniture and know I will be moving it, as most, if not all I got half price. If it would have been Ikea things, I would let it go for whatever.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're lucky if they actually leave the money if you're not there to receive it!
I have a very large buy/sell group in my neighborhood. More and more, people are paying up front with paypal, the Facebook messenger payment app, or other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That's not what I said at all. for the same amount of money they could have something in the box from IKEA which is new or something used which is solid wood.
People have different tastes regardless of price. It doesn't matter that something is better quality if you would hate to look at it every day.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
I downsized from a house to a bachelor apartment in 2 wks.
I found a non-profit company that did van pick-ups for junk, donations, container recycling, furniture recycling, cleaning, paint containers .... etc

When you downsize you have to be merciless, brutal.
You can't make a "maybe" pile.

Set up an appointment for the dif. van crews before you start. Now you have set deadlines (a month ?).

1. Concentrate first on garage. Clear out and use as staging area.
2. Tape tag everything using different colors of masking tape. Category by color.
3. Leave larger tagged items where they sit. The loading is left to the crews.
4. Get the donation manager to survey the furniture for what they will accept and tape mark.
5. Call thrift stores to pick up reusable items like clothing.
6. Remove all knick-knacks and save the porcelain or antiques.

Consider booking the junk and donation trucks on the same day. Once your house is cleared out you can more readily see what is left to do.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
When you downsize you have to be merciless, brutal.
This trips everybody up. We have a dining table and benches that DH insists are worth something because "they don't build stuff like this anymore". My response is "WHO CARES?"
I see it as firewood.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 AM

10,474 posts, read 8,417,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This trips everybody up. We have a dining table and benches that DH insists are worth something because "they don't build stuff like this anymore". My response is "WHO CARES?"
I see it as firewood.
Pretty harsh. Before turning your dining set into firewood, why not do some research and find out what it is - i.e., how old it is, what sort of wood it is, who made it, what condition it is in, and most importantly, if it has any collectible/vintage/antique value?

Also, rather than viewing it as "firewood", if you really want to get rid of it, why not donate it to a local charity which helps people such as those who've suffered housefires or floods or other disasters, or who are (genuine) refugees? There are at least two such organizations in my medium-sized small city...and Salvation Army stores, ReStore, and Goodwill are just about everywhere, and in some cases, will pick up donations.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,653,891 times
I read biscuitmom's comment completely differently. The point I got was that her DH places excess value on the dining set, perhaps using it as rationale for "saving it for the kids" or something like that, rather than liquidating it now and using the proceeds, and the extra space, for things that matter today.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I read biscuitmom's comment completely differently. The point I got was that her DH places excess value on the dining set, perhaps using it as rationale for "saving it for the kids" or something like that, rather than liquidating it now and using the proceeds, and the extra space, for things that matter today.
That is how I read it also - he won't do anything about it, if he thinks it is so valuable. Albatross!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The Ikea idea also, young people don't have job security & know they may have to move. Why would they invest in good furniture?
Actually, isn't IKEA very trendy and, thus, very pricey? I see more of a Big Lots "disposable" cheap furniture trend.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,460,873 times
I have no problem buying the MDF furniture.
I've bought 2 IKEA bed frames over the years.
My son's bed frame has been taken apart and rebuilt at least 4 times with no problems.

It's light. I can move the bed easily. I don't have any bulky mattress/box spring either as I got a platform bed.
Plus I like the sleek, simple design which is easy to clean and doesn't gather dust.

When I moved I got rid of my old wood furniture bedroom set except for one dresser.
That dresser is a PITA to move and that will be replaced one day with something lighter.

I look at the Target/Walmart/Big Lots furniture as cheap and disposable.
The IKEA furniture isn't cheap but it is much less expensive than wood furniture.
And IKEA does have some solid wood furniture as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement