U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 AM

14,056 posts, read 20,404,877 times

Advertisements

I put stuff in the alley.
Marked "free".
Gone within hours.
I love living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:05 PM

6,899 posts, read 7,306,042 times
To be honest I'm thinking about just giving stuff away. I don't have the money for it now, and don't need the money really so I'm undecided if the hassle of selling it to get next to nothing for all my things is even with the effort.

Between family, friends, and the family and friends of friends (even their church members) -- maybe all these people will know some one who could use all the things I have. When I retire I'll take nothing from this house but my clothes and a few personal times. NONE of the furniture is going. Won't need half the yard tools either. So if I know someone who wants or needs a BR set, or LR furniture, or wall units, etc -- it's theirs for the taking. Anything I donate I'll get a right off for.

As some people say at the end of a yard sale -- "just take it away from here."

Also some areas have "junk men" who drive by. I MIGHT find one who'll PAY ME for all my stuff, knowing he'll resell it. Sort of like "Storage Wars" only right out of my house. Give me $500.00 for the whole house full of stuff and it's yours just come back and take it away." One person, one transaction, and done.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM

2,472 posts, read 2,109,780 times
I might have already responded but today we just went through our attic and basement- and really made a huge dent. Some got tossed, much got bagged up for charity (who will come here next Saturday and pick up the many bags- probably about 6 trash bags full of books, curtains, comforters, toys etc.
I think we will certainly have a few more passes to make but this was a great start.
((still have lots of stuff from our "kids"- will likely take photos of the stuff and get permission to give away or else they can say they want it and come get it. mostly sentimental things like school work and a few toys.))

And, YES to freecycle or FREE CURBSIDE alert on Craigslist. I have done this before - if no rain /snow is predicted I will put stuff out at the end of our driveway and post an ad saying free. The stuff gets picked up and used so it's great. I dont like the idea of people coming to the house- maybe as time goes by and we sort out some more if there are things worth selling I would consider but at this point I would rather just be rid of it.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:25 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,077,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I found a non-profit company that did van pick-ups for junk, donations, container recycling, furniture recycling, cleaning, paint containers .... etc."

You are all incredibly lucky to have organizations that will pick stuff up. As I say, I'm 5'0" and 100 lbs. soaking wet and had to empty 2,000 s.f. all by my lonesome. I even had to wait for "hazardous waste disposal day" in my small town to load fifty years' worth of paint cans, jars of paint thinner, spray bottles of insecticide, etc., in the back of my car, and drive them there personally (trash wouldn't pick up). This thread is giving me unpleasant flashbacks! But I managed.

Now, as I also say, NEVER AGAIN.

I wouldn't say incredibly lucky but I would say I am incredibly resourceful.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
To be honest I'm thinking about just giving stuff away. I don't have the money for it now, and don't need the money really so I'm undecided if the hassle of selling it to get next to nothing for all my things is even with the effort.

Between family, friends, and the family and friends of friends (even their church members) -- maybe all these people will know some one who could use all the things I have. When I retire I'll take nothing from this house but my clothes and a few personal times. NONE of the furniture is going. Won't need half the yard tools either. So if I know someone who wants or needs a BR set, or LR furniture, or wall units, etc -- it's theirs for the taking. Anything I donate I'll get a right off for.

As some people say at the end of a yard sale -- "just take it away from here."

Also some areas have "junk men" who drive by. I MIGHT find one who'll PAY ME for all my stuff, knowing he'll resell it. Sort of like "Storage Wars" only right out of my house. Give me $500.00 for the whole house full of stuff and it's yours just come back and take it away." One person, one transaction, and done.
I'm not selling anything anymore, I'm giving away. Gave one of the twin's portacribs to a local shelter, they were pleased to get it. Check with local shelters re: bedding and good kitchenware. There are also "survival centers" that are happy to take clothing and goods (not furniture). The Salvation Army is known to come and pick up decent furniture (not mattresses). No one wants books; donate them to the library or a used book store. Some local groups collect books to send to service men and women overseas.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 PM

I admit i'm not tech savvy, so not into books on tablets……
And as someone who loves books -- yes, books with actual paper pages, a book I can hold in my hand….I'm amazed at how hard it is to give books away.

I called the library foundation in a major city and they were sooo picky: what kinds of books are they? what's the subject?, hardback or paperback? fiction or nonfiction?

I was thinking (and wanted to say), "you're a frigging LIBRARY, does it matter…I'm offering you BOOKS. Geez."
A friend just had a yard sale and said the books didn't sell. Go figure. She couldn't GIVE them away.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:04 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,415,484 times
Default Selling dolls and albums

When mom died in 2012 she left three things in bulk: dolls, record albums, and books.

Dolls-200+, mostly 80s-90s from Franklin and Danbury Mints mostly. I set up on EBay and while I sold some and learned EBay I also learned they were not worth anything. The most valuable were Wizard of Oz from the 80s. I got maybe $40 for these. The thing about dolls is many require good packaging and oversize boxes which adds significant;y to shipping costs. I wound up selling them in bulk for $3 each to a woman wanting to start a doll shop. She even paid me $50 to deliver them to her 60 miles away.

Albums-400+ mostly big band and Sinatra era. I had one collector pick and choose but mainly bought a 50 album box set from Franklin Mint in 1986. The rest I sold dirt cheap to someone who said his wife uses them for crafts. I learned unless you have some super rare album they are worth near zero.

Books-200+ many recent but also from 70s on up plus a few very old. Even the very old ones are not worth much, if anything. Sold some for a few dollars, gave some away and sold the balance for $20 to someone that owned an old style bookstore.

I have found that Ebay is a good barometer of the value of things.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:41 AM

7,820 posts, read 4,409,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I wouldn't say incredibly lucky but I would say I am incredibly resourceful.
Well, either you have such organizations in your area or you don't... We have them in the neighboring town, but they don't drive this far. I guess I could load stuff into my own car and drive it to the city limits for pickup (being resourceful), but that would be dumb!

Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 PM

Dolls, albums, books, furniture, dishes, silverware, tchotchkes…whatever….it IS interesting to see how LITTLE personal possessions can be worth.

It's one of the reasons I've stopped accumulating as much. Of course when you're younger you tend to be building your life and so you're in more of an accumulation phase anyway.

Now that's I'm 55 -- and likely already have bought all the material possessions I'll ever need…..I see just HOW MUCH I've amassed that I actually DON'T actually need. Most of the things I see when I look around…the thrill of owning them is gone. I find myself asking sometimes in a joking way, "What the hell IS all this?". I have lotions and potions (I love going to spas), I'll never use, clothes I'll never wear (tags been on them for years already). I WILL say though that the plus of being a pack rat is…if there's ever anything I need chances are….I've got it! And most of it no one will want when I'm gone or trying to get rid of it…..

I'm single, and have more bed linens, and towels, and dishes than some families.
Every once in while I'll see a story on people who are minimalist, or just chuck all their stuff and don't re-buy…..they stick with only clothes they can wear, only furniture they "need"…and I have to say it does have an appeal. I wonder if that's really me though…and 6 months from now would I see a vase I liked at Home Goods…..at get it because it's cute and I like it."

When we cleaned out my mom's house …..to make it safer….we cleaned down to about 6-8 daily outfits, 3-4 church outfits, 5-6 pairs of shoes…..down from so many clothes she could open a store. And I myself own and have clothes on top of clothes on top of clothes EVERYWHERE in my house. I sometimes dream of getting rid of it all and starting over with FIVE work outfits, and FIVE weekend out fits…and maybe 5 pairs of shoes…..THAT"S it. Because that's all I wear anyway….the same old things over and over. Just think all my clothes in ONE closet instead of THREE, and every flat surface!

Last edited by selhars; 01-20-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 AM

21,212 posts, read 11,838,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I admit i'm not tech savvy, so not into books on tablets……
And as someone who loves books -- yes, books with actual paper pages, a book I can hold in my hand….I'm amazed at how hard it is to give books away.

I called the library foundation in a major city and they were sooo picky: what kinds of books are they? what's the subject?, hardback or paperback? fiction or nonfiction?

I was thinking (and wanted to say), "you're a frigging LIBRARY, does it matter…I'm offering you BOOKS. Geez."
A friend just had a yard sale and said the books didn't sell. Go figure. She couldn't GIVE them away.
Libraries can't afford to store books that people aren't going to check out. Mostly they sell donated books to raise money but even then, they want to make sure what they accept will sell, otherwise, they have to deal with getting rid of what's left, just like you. You can't find somewhere to get rid of them, why do you think they would have an easier time of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement