U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,194,406 times

Advertisements

otterhere - I have traveled extensively throughout my career, doing 3 and 6 month assignments, talking to my colleagues about what they like or don't like about the area. I have also used my vacations for extended visits in potential retirement areas. My new home ticked the most boxes on my retirement list, lower COL and taxes, weather, close (but not too close) to family, near beach, etc. 109 days to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM

7,308 posts, read 4,176,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did you have any trouble deciding WHERE to relocate after retirement? I've concluded that I need to travel extensively and spend some considerable time in each potential location before committing to one.

I traveled all over the country and world, so I had some ideas. We traveled over the past five years to areas we thought we might like. My criteria was warm, Second Amendment friendly, no helmet laws, relatively homogeneous population, near a military base and tax friendly. So we were able to narrow the search area down considerably. On our last trip ,my wife got out of the car, looked around, and said "This is it!" And she loves it there. I only love it in the winter! Our compromise was to move back home and do the snowbird thing.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:20 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,360,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's why everyone should downsize ASAP. It's the one thing they can accomplish - even up to 100% -well in advance of retiring and moving.
I agree. Once you rid yourself of stuff you don't need, your whole life becomes simpler. Then you can focus better on the logistics of moving. Also, if you find you need to put your things in storage for some period of time, there's not that much to store. And if your house sells faster than you expected, you are practically ready to go.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:25 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,360,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I've been going nuts for the last few years trying to decide where to live in retirement. I currently live outside Philadelphia, but I never wanted to live in Pennsylvania--just had a very good job, so stayed. I have concluded that the most important things for me are good scenery, the ability to see wild life regularly, and low humidity. I was thinking western Nebraska or south central Colorado. Leaning towards Colorado as winter days will be longer there.

My lease here ends in mid April. I know I should visit the areas I am considering, but I hate the idea of getting stuck at an airport due to bad weather.

It's a little weird to have almost complete freedom of choice. Doesn't make things easier.

I have been retired 5 years. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, now that I actually have a choice. I'm still not used to having that choice.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:20 PM

21,960 posts, read 14,442,747 times
We retired; we prepped our old house; we listed it; we didn't sell it; we relisted it next year; we didn't sell it; economy tanked; we relisted in 2011; still didn't sell; relisted with a good Realtor, and we sold it in 2012.

We rented an apartment from our old home before our move. We had an address before we moved, and we changed our charge cards and bank info before we left town. We notified the post office of our change in address.

We drove to our new town. We lived in the apartment for 3 months with rented furniture until we found a house, had it redecorated and asked for our own furniture from the storage unit of our mover. We got our furniture, unpacked for several weeks, and began living with our stuff five months after we left our original home town.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 PM

7,820 posts, read 4,409,856 times
"We retired; we prepped our old house; we listed it; we didn't sell it; we relisted it next year; we didn't sell it; economy tanked; we relisted in 2011; still didn't sell; relisted with a good Realtor, and we sold it in 2012."

There's such a thing as pre-selling, although I'm not sure how that works, legally. At any rate, it's not a bad idea to feel out potential buyers ahead of time. Although any or all of them could fall through in the end, just by expressing my intention to sell in a year or two, I've identified a half dozen people who claim they'll be interested when the time comes...

Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM

29,820 posts, read 34,912,438 times
A quick summary is that we sold our house.
Moved to apartment
Settled on old house
Bought a new house out of state being built from scratch
As construction moved forward set a tentative retirement time frame
As new home construction entered final stages, gave a retirement date
Went to settlement on new home
Worked one more day after getting back
Moved the next day

Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 PM

44 posts, read 36,796 times
Our apartment will be our fairly new RV. That is a relief to not have to worry about. We listed our house this week....so let the adventure begin! It won't be easy, leaving one grown child and moving 400 miles closer to a new grandchild, and giving up our nice, remodeled home of 30 years.

We plan on not buying a home until we spend some time in at least 6 different areas of Ca. Storing the downsized belongings for as long as it takes, however stressful it is.

Plan B is if we can't find what we want we will take off in the RV for a years vacation, and then regroup. I've never had so many decisions hit me in my whole life!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,827,553 times
We moved about five months before I retired. We had a house built in our new area, and it was ready in August 2006, though I wasn't retiring until January 2007. We sold the old home and moved to the new house, and I went back a forth between the job and house a few times during the last five months. When I was near the job, I stayed with coworkers a little bit, and had a weekly rate at a modest motel the rest of the time. It cost a bit, but was worth it.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:41 AM

106 posts, read 112,738 times
Interesting thread! We're thinking ahead too, to my retirement and moving in 3 1/2 years. Right now, we're clearing out and donating a lot of 'stuff' and working on the house to get ready to put it on the market the year I'm to retire. Thinking if it sells early, we'll rent until I finish the school year.

We're planning on moving out of state. I assume we'll rent for a month or more until we find our new home. It IS overwhelming to think of the logistics! Many have brought up an RV. Wow, that's something we hadn't considered, and sounds like a pretty neat idea. Can't think of where to park it here, if I had a couple of months of work before retiring, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or