U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM

14,441 posts, read 7,945,283 times

Advertisements

We had planned to move to Maine after retiring. John and I are having many arguments because I manage the money and he's the high maintenance dreamer. I quit my job at 58 and we are using the money from the rental properties to live on as well as his pension. I won't start collecting my social security for another 4 to 7 years. We have another payout coming from another investment in about 3 years. We have great long term tenants that pay like clock work. I don't want to sell off those investments for at least 3 more years. We can then do an exchange on the rentals for vacation properties. One in Maine and one beach front some where. I want to keep our house here and use it as a hotel. John wants to sell it and wants me to give up the decades old ties and move into solitude with just him for company.

I told him to be careful what you wish for because one of us will end up on the evening news, and it won't be him. I would like to build something on a good fishing lake in Maine and live there in the winter. I can do my ice fishing, skiing, snow shoeing, and have a snow machine. We can leave during tourist season and do weekly rentals on the property. If I manage it right the property will pay for itself and we can live there for free. If it gets too cold and we are stuck inside, like we are now, we can take the animals and go to our beach property for awhile. The place I'm looking at has their high season from April to September. We could be back in Maine for spring skiing when that rental season starts.

Sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it? I think so but John hates road trips. I told him that it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to where we're going. We can stop when we're tired and roll when we're ready. It will be a tad complicated traveling with two dogs and a cat. Okay no comments from the peanut gallery. He knew I was animal crazy when he married me. Don't make me come over there.

Money is a double edged sword. It both enhances life, and in some ways, makes you a prisoner. There are times that I just want to sell off everything and live a much simpler life, but paying out such a large sum in capital gains goes against every fiber of my being. That and Mr. High Maintenance will need every dime to maintain his cushy life style after he puts me in an early grave. Who's going to clean the house and cook his meals?

Timing is everything and right now the time isn't right to move. If I find that perfect Victorian project in Maine all bets might be off. So far, finding it's been an impossible dream. So we sit in limbo for at least three more years, unless that power ball ticket pays off tonight. Well it's fun to dream anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:07 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,178,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You have way too much stuff! We got it down to one 26 ft U-Haul.
True I have a lot of stuff but then I have been years accumulating these things and I see no reason to now get rid of them.
The other reason is I have several redundant items, I have them because our income now and for the future is going to be less than 1/4 of our previous income so if I have many of something and one breaks I have spare.

The worst part things so far is that I have to be on Obama care to the tune of $11,000 a year until I am 65, which is another 18 months. And no, this year at least I don't get any subsidy.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:31 PM

7,816 posts, read 4,407,202 times
I, too, kept duplicates of things that worked for me and was keeping quite a lot of household items, furniture, rugs, etc. because I wasn't sure what would work for me in the next house. However, now that I know how much it costs to move it all, I'll prefer buying replacements!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,333,801 times
Originally owned a condo in Maui, which we rented out with the intention of retiring to Maui but found island living wasn't for us. So we sold the condo and bought our retirement home 1.5 years before we retired. It is 3 hours from where we were living, so allowed us to slowly move belongings. We were able to add a room on to the house, build a workshop and screened in porch, all before we moved in. My spouse retired first and we had a moving company move the heavy furniture, leaving me with a RV, recliner, and bed. The house was for sale at this time and sold in four months. Once it sold, I retired and moved to our new home. Worked out perfectly for us.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM

10,391 posts, read 9,403,673 times
Logistics can be quite different if is is "we/us" v. "me" making the move, especially for senior ladies attempting to relocate on their own.

Being on my own and not having real estate to sell, it's a matter of finally getting a call from one of the many wait lists for senior affordable apartments. And once I get the 'go' notice, then it's a matter of it needing to be at the end of my lease term and trying to figure out how to get my belongings and me to the new location.

Driving a great distance is out of the question due to safety issues and vision problems. So it would mean selling my older car, flying, and renting a car until I'm able to hopefully purchase another car.

My furnishings aren't valuable, so it would be the question of the cost to have them moved or start from scratch at the new place. But then it's not just furniture, there are clothes, personal care items, linens, kitchen items, etc. Some it would be more cost effective to pack up and send via UPS or another carrier.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:16 PM

197 posts, read 161,255 times
My ex and I downsized and moved to an over 55 community in the same town because we were both still working FT.

We sold or disposed of a lot of stuff and it felt liberating. I've moved too often to be tied down by possessions.

Closed on the old house in June and moved to the UK the next day where we had a home. Our stuff, including 2 cars, were stored in a building we owned at the time.

We returned to the US in September into the newly built house and started work a few days later.

It was a lot of work and planned like a military operation.

I always said that I needed to do this move before I was too old and we could do it without inconveniencing anyone else.

The relief was significant when the decision was made and acted upon.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,048,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedolce View Post
What are the advantages/reasons for buying a retirement home before selling the primary home? I guess financially, I'm cheap, so the idea of double bills aren't appealing, but I also like the idea of having a place already to go to that's 'mine' and make the whole move easier for me. I've been here for over 20 years, and have never lived out of my home state before.
For me it was a few different reasons.

1. The area I was moving into had a fixer upper deal that was too hard to pass up for the price.

2. The area I was moving into had projected real estate prices rising pretty fast.

3. My relatives needed time to adjust that I was moving away again. Some older folks thought/think that I should say nearby to help them out for the rest of my life.

4. I am retiring with two 13 year olds that needed to be able to go to the retirement area and get used to it before they moved---teens do better that way, and how I did it they got used to the move starting at age 10 ad it being vacation. Now they love going there.

5. My first house has no mortgage and I keep the utility 'off' when I am not at the retirement home. That makes costs affordable. Double taxes and insurance.

6. Lets me move in phases, much easier for single mom who works full time

Old 01-15-2016, 02:01 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
I plan to retire in April, 2018, when I'm 65. I expect to sell my house without a broker to a local guy who really wants it and won't have to fix cosmetics, etc., to turn it over to him. (Given those two advantages, I plan to give him a great price). Meanwhile, in fall of 2017, I'll take out a construction loan and be building my retirement house 2,000 miles away. I'll be paying mortgage and construction loan at the same time, so am working extra now to make that work. I'll turn my house over to my buyer, and drive to the new house, in my old car if it's still reliable, in my new 4-wheel drive car that I'll need by that winter anyway. If I'm down to one dog, he/she will come with me, if more than that, I hire a transport trusted woman to bring the dogs to Colorado. (Yes, it will be expensive).

I've already started downsizing. I've eyeballed stuff in my current house (1250 sq.ft.) and am deciding what goes with to the 770 sq.ft. new house and am slowly donating/pitching/giving away stuff that doesn't make the cut. I've picked a long-distance mover.

Because I always have dogs, other solutions aren't an option (like renting in between, etc.). If enough money, moving can be greatly aided by the moving company (packing, etc.) and transporting dogs.

I have a co-worker who doesn't think women should drive long distances alone, so he likely will come with me for the road trip. I think it will make the transition easier to take a friend from the old life to check into the new life.

I am both excited and rather terrified at the prospects of a new life at this point. As I've said in other threads, I most fear my own depressive episodes but am clear that I have to do this move. I've always wanted to live in this western town and not work (like vacation!) and hope I will have less/no depression when not working, not working shift work, and being away from humidity.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:58 AM

425 posts, read 388,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I've been going nuts for the last few years trying to decide where to live in retirement. I currently live outside Philadelphia, but I never wanted to live in Pennsylvania--just had a very good job, so stayed. I have concluded that the most important things for me are good scenery, the ability to see wild life regularly, and low humidity. I was thinking western Nebraska or south central Colorado. Leaning towards Colorado as winter days will be longer there.

My lease here ends in mid April. I know I should visit the areas I am considering, but I hate the idea of getting stuck at an airport due to bad weather.

It's a little weird to have almost complete freedom of choice. Doesn't make things easier.
You should consider Maine. Beauty abounds, along with beaches, both sand and rocky, gorgeous coast line, laid back life style, friendly people. Sunshine too, not like PA., at least a lot of it with rain, clouds.

You could easily visit by car. We moved from NJ (Union County) and along with so many others, have found it to be an incredible retirement state. We live 3 miles outside of Portland. Everything is close by. Airport, restaurants, shops, mall, doctors, hospitals, but the natural beauty really is wonderful.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 AM

425 posts, read 388,607 times
I retired first and hubby kept working. We had already paid off the house we lived in for 25 + years. We bought a house in Maine about a year before hubby retired. Didn't live in it for 9 months, but came up often to bring stuff we didn't want the movers to move. Took our time.

I definitely had to do lots of decluttering and it was like a full time job. The attic was filled to the brim, along with the basement, garage etc. I painted the upstairs myself and was going to do a full kitchen remodel, but spoke with a realtor who told me, absolutely not.

We hired a contractor to paint downstairs, new flooring in the kitchen, new appliances. Kept the cabinets but he painted them and put on new hardware. We already had hardwood floors throughout the house.

The house sold pretty quickly in 2009, which was a down market (and I was petrified because my neighbors house (which was almost identical) was going thru foreclosure, but that took so long, that I was able to sell mine before hers went on the market.

I moved up here 3 months before hubby, who kept working until December. It certainly was much easier to do everything because I had already retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or