U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 AM

676 posts, read 1,327,735 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am posting this in the retirement section, rather than the health care section because I think I will get more answers if those who have been retired for a while see it.

I am shopping for a Medigap plan and will likely go with a high deductible plan F. I have two questions:

(1) Does anyone have a medigap plan from AARP--how is that working for you? Do you generally like it?

(2) Those who have had a Medigap policy for a few+ years--How fast do your premiums increase?

As an side, I have to say I am appalled at the enormous cost of health care--and how everyone is encouraged to pay the ever increasing cost of health insurance. I remember when I could go to the doc for a simple procedure for my son or myself and afford to pay for it without insurance and without going into debt. Do you remember when every doc you knew did not think that diagnostic test after diagnostic test was essential? And, that's excluding any treatment. Will there never be any attempt to control costs?

I don't go to the doctor much. I've had basic blood screenings, flu shots, and a shingles vaccine. Once in a while a mammogram or a colonoscopy. But, not every year. Nonetheless, as I get older, I'm naturally getting concerned. I would prefer not to give all my money to health insurance companies.

Sorry for the rant. If you can answer the questions, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM

71,485 posts, read 71,652,652 times
you have to see what plans in your area offer a high deductible f plan .

in ny aarp does not , only a regular f plan . . my wife has one and i think there was only 1 or 2 company's that offered it in queens .

it even differs from manhattan or upstate .

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM

Yes, I find that AARP does not offer the high deductible in my zip code either. However, I am moving (probably to Colorado) so I will see what is available there.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
No high deductible F from UHC/AARP where I live either. My husband has plan J (now discontinued). I have regular plan F. Premium increases have been modest over the course of several years. We're paying $391/month for both policies in 2016 (premium last year was $376).

Note that there are people who hang around the Health Insurance forum who don't hang around here who are really quite knowledgeable about these things. Robyn

Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks Robyn--I spent the day emailing back and forth with an agent that set me up with a high deductable plan F for $50/month from Medico--a little cheaper than Aetna which was available for my area. He says that because Medicare regulates these plans, their claims administration (as well as benefits) should be similar.

I was frustrated this morning because (for months) every time I looked on the web for a plan, I ended up getting a bunch of phone calls. (Even though my email is always requested.) I rarely use the phone because I'm hard of hearing. This agent agreed to email back and forth with me. And, I'm feeling pleased to have it set up.

I wonder why the high deductible plan isn't offered so much. The agent said customers don't want it, but I'm not sure that's true.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Thanks Robyn--I spent the day emailing back and forth with an agent that set me up with a high deductable plan F for $50/month from Medico--a little cheaper than Aetna which was available for my area. He says that because Medicare regulates these plans, their claims administration (as well as benefits) should be similar.

I was frustrated this morning because (for months) every time I looked on the web for a plan, I ended up getting a bunch of phone calls. (Even though my email is always requested.) I rarely use the phone because I'm hard of hearing. This agent agreed to email back and forth with me. And, I'm feeling pleased to have it set up.

I wonder why the high deductible plan isn't offered so much. The agent said customers don't want it, but I'm not sure that's true.
The benefits in all Medigap plans are standardized - identical. Claims administration and costs may vary. Depending on the company and where you're located.

Medico doesn't sell policies where I live - so I don't know anything about it. My husband and I and all of our parents have had coverage from AARP UHC - in south and north Florida - and in North Carolina too - and have never had any complaints.

Don't know about the high deductible F plans - why they're not offered in more places. Perhaps because the majority of buyers always go over the deductibles (I know my husband and I do - even for routine stuff).

Think it's time for you to get some hearing aids - or at least a TTY phone. Not being able to hear is a very isolating experience. Based on what I've seen - guys (who tend to develop more age related hearing problems than women) wait until they're stone deaf to do something about their hearing problems (not a good state of affairs IMO - whether you're talking about having conversations with people - driving a car - or whatever). Robyn

Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM

71,485 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Actually most folks don't go over the deductible. Our agent said the regular f plans are far more profitable and most company's shy away from the high deductible because there is just not enough profit on them in comparison.

It really is difficult to make that deductible especially early on and if you are healthy.

To clear the 2k hurdle you need to have some pretty heavy duty medicare bills as that can be a lot of 6-18 buck bills

We are talking mostly 20% of the already greatly reduced medicare prices.

An mri which can run 2k gets 500 bucks from medicare. That 2k mri cost you 100 bucks.

According to a video we saw medigap plans are the most profitable product for an insurer.

Most of our bills that medicare didn't pick up are 6-18 bucks.
Even an ambulence trip which can be a small fortune normally plus the emergency room visit and treatment cost us under 100 bucks.

The savings between an f-plan and our high deductible f-plan is more then the 2000 deductible and the 149 copay.

If we don't exceed the 2k a year then we can save a lot of money .

It is well worth trying to save 2 but most insurers will not give you that option.

For 2015 we had about 300 in expenses vs saving more then 2k.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Think it's time for you to get some hearing aids - or at least a TTY phone. Not being able to hear is a very isolating experience. Based on what I've seen - guys (who tend to develop more age related hearing problems than women) wait until they're stone deaf to do something about their hearing problems (not a good state of affairs IMO - whether you're talking about having conversations with people - driving a car - or whatever). Robyn
I have had six different versions of hearing aids and several assistive listening devices. Two were very expensive highly touted digital hearing aid sets. My hearing problem is genetic and different from that of people who lose hearing from exposure to loud noise. Not only is my volume reception very low--my hearing is distorted. Amplified distorted hearing isn't a lot of fun--could make one crazy. And, yes I know the folks who sell these hearing aids for big bucks tell everyone that they are just wonderful. Advice to get a hearing aid is given freely by those selling them and repeated by those who have never used one.

I do use hearing aids with one-on-one coversations. Assuming the person enunciates clearly they are helpful. But phones terrify me, even though I have a 'loud' senior phone. People can be very rude when you ask them to repeat. One gets a bit sensitive after numerous attempts.

I did recently buy a portable TTY machine--works with a cell phone. (No landline available in my apartment.)
It sets on my desk taunting me. Someday (soon!) I will get brave enough to try out this machine which I have never even seen used.

One problem with TTY machines is that people hang up--not understanding the system, thinking someone is trying to sell something. Still I will master this. Fear of new technology is a newly acquired trait for me.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 PM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Problem solved, thread closed. May have been more appropriate for Insurance forum but glad it worked out anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or