U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 PM

40 posts, read 65,625 times

Advertisements

Great question and one I have been asking myself.

I'm going to be building my retirement home next year and really don't want or need a tub in the master. It will have a large walk-in shower regardless if I decide to have a tub in the master or not. Will definitely have a tub in the second bath.

Since I will never use a tub in the master I am strongly thinking about skipping it and putting the money elsewhere on something I will use. My only hesitation is resale. I wonder how many people would find no tub in the master a deal breaker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,562,583 times
Most Realtors agree that a bathtub somewhere in your house is a good idea if you are interested in getting top dollar for resale. I don't think there are many objections to a shower in the master bath, however. I know in my case it was a selling point that that the master bath in my house has an over-sized shower.

I think that taking a shower in a large unit that has grab-bars should be pretty safe for most elders. I have taken a Zimmer frame in my shower with me when i was having a hip problem last year. My mother, however, is disabled and uses a wheeled walker at all times. She is much more comfortable in our small bathroom that has a tub.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,432,597 times
The one thing I would change in my house is to remove the tub from the master bedroom and replace it with a nice shower. Then I would add a tub to the hall bathroom (which already has a shower, which would remain).

I haven’t used a bathtub in over 30 years.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:08 PM

703 posts, read 797,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I must have a tube in the master BR - not having one would be a deal breaker. Absolutely hate showers.
Same here. It would be a deal breaker for me too. I love my baths.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:08 PM

684 posts, read 376,454 times
take the bathtub out of the master bath and install it in the garage in a neat little area thats custom built to resemble a pet bathing area. For very little money you can recycle the master tub into a neat option other homes do not have that might help it re-sell one day.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,528,456 times
I dislike showers and prefer to bathe - the larger the tub the better. An oversized bathtub will be a must in my retirement home but I realize that I am in the minority.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:18 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
We had a very large master bathroom with a corner, whirlpool tub, large walk-in shower with no lip and seat inside. We replaced the whirlpool tub with a one that had easy access, rails, and arm rests. My spouse likes to have a warm bath once in awhile and the grandchildren use it, although our guest bathroom has a shower/tub combination. I have noticed on those house hunting shows that people think it's strange when there is no tub, especially younger couples.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 44,946,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
How many other bathrooms in the house? Just one other and it has a tub as well? Both tubs also have shower heads?

At least one walk-in shower "3/4 bath" is nice to have, particularly for older people.

But I'm not certain if tearing out an existing tub to put in a shower stall makes much sense. Any possibility of just adding a 3/4 bath somewhere else in the house? I know that would be way more expensive, but you would definitely be adding to the value of the house.

Also depends on how high quality the existing tubs are.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,267,837 times
When we redid the master bath, for resale purposes we opted to keep the bath tub because it is one of those garden tubs that young couples seem to like. It is never used.

Personally, I prefer a shower, but our home is not one that older people would probably purchase. If your home is one that older people might purchase, then go with a really nice shower. If your home would probably be purchased by people up through ages 40ish, then keep the tub.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 PM

21,179 posts, read 11,808,808 times
Not having a big luxury shower is a deal breaker for me. If there's enough room, a 5 piece bath is fine, although as far as I'm concerned, now that my kid is too big for baths, the tub is just something to dust.

Bottom line is that you can't please everyone, so please yourself. No tub loses you some potential buyers down the road, no luxury shower loses you some others. Make it the bathroom that YOU want to be using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or