U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 PM
gg

17,930 posts, read 18,255,148 times

Advertisements

I think bathtubs are stupidly outdated and certainly no one would put one in a master bath if you already have a tub in the home. Put in a nice shower and forget the dumb tub!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
take the bathtub out of the master bath and install it in the garage in a neat little area thats custom built to resemble a pet bathing area. For very little money you can recycle the master tub into a neat option other homes do not have that might help it re-sell one day.
That is a very interesting thought. My house is quite small. I installed a very nice 3/4 bath but there are days when I'd like a tub that can accommodate a 6'2" guy. I could recess something in the floor of the garage.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think bathtubs are stupidly outdated and certainly no one would put one in a master bath if you already have a tub in the home. Put in a nice shower and forget the dumb tub!
Unless you put a full size shower and have room for a whirlpool tub. Better yet a two person whirlpool tub.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
If you can a walk in shower (no door to clean) with a small seat. Make sure the entrance is wide enough for a walker or wheelchair. Probably what a light in the ceiling and maybe a heat lamp. If you can a high small window near the ceiling for daylight. Shower head could be adjustable in height or a fixed and a movable shower head that is on a hose. Be sure you turn the water on and off at the head on the portable one and not the fixed shower head.

The first question is do you usually take baths or showers. I think the trend is toward showers. Tubs can be a lot of problems as you get older.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:40 PM

5,195 posts, read 670,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
On TV in the South they call it an on-suite up North a master bedroom, is this because down south a Master Bedroom considering Slavery is a weird thing to say?
It's changing up North--realtors here now refer it as the "owners suite."

Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Personally I take showers, not baths, so my answer to the OP's question is obvious. But if a person takes baths but not showers his or her answer would be the opposite of mine.

My townhouse, which I bought without giving any thought to the "bathtub" question, has only a shower in the master (larger) bathroom, but has a tub in the guest (smaller) bathroom. It was built in 1981.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:12 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,016,686 times
We have had walk in showers since 1987 in 3 different homes in 2 different states. In all cases bath 2 had a regular tub/ shower. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM

1,159 posts, read 649,789 times
A nice walk-in shower in the master is a must. A tub if there's room, especially in the guest bath where one might be used for children. Little kids would be safer in a tub than shower. You never know what a buyer might want. They might not mind there being an extra tub if they don't use them, but they might mind not having it if they do! We have a nice big deep drop in tub in a platform in the master, plus the walk in shower. I have a little difficulty hauling myself out of the deep tub, so we never use it. But if we sell, it might be a great selling point. Good luck deciding!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 PM

8,114 posts, read 12,685,704 times
Our house was built in 1969. The master bathroom has a shower. No tub.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I built my house in 2001. I watched too much HGTV and got a very fancy jetted tub and tiny separate shower on the first floor with the main bedroom. I almost never use the tub. The upstairs/secondary bathroom has a standard tub-shower.

I will be moving to a new house that is smaller, with only one bathroom. I am having a good walk-in shower in place of the offered tub-shower. I have watched my elderly aunt trying not to break her neck getting in and out of her standard tub/shower (and only one) and I hope to grow old in the new house. I love a good shower. My father, on the other hand, when he stayed with me, liked the tub because showering reminded him of being in the Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or