U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,349,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
take the bathtub out of the master bath and install it in the garage in a neat little area thats custom built to resemble a pet bathing area. For very little money you can recycle the master tub into a neat option other homes do not have that might help it re-sell one day.
Nice idea. Just be sure the tub fits through all the doors along the way. When I had my all-in-one tub/shower surround removed, they had to cut it in pieces to bring it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 PM

18,835 posts, read 4,945,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
When we redid the master bath, for resale purposes we opted to keep the bath tub because it is one of those garden tubs that young couples seem to like. It is never used.

Personally, I prefer a shower, but our home is not one that older people would probably purchase. If your home is one that older people might purchase, then go with a really nice shower. If your home would probably be purchased by people up through ages 40ish, then keep the tub.

Our house was built 10 years ago, the master bath has a separate shower and a garden tub. For
us, in our 60's, that tub has been used twice in all that time...but for resale sometime in the
future I'm glad the floor plan included the tub, as well as double sinks.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 PM

109 posts, read 63,517 times
We had our current residence built in 1999. Our home was designed with a generously sized master bath that has a large walk-in shower, as well as a jetted tub. I don't take many baths, but I don't think that I would be comfortable without a tub in my bathroom. If you're experiencing a stressful time, or insomnia, an Epsom salt soak with essential oils is the perfect prescription for relaxation. Also, I underwent surgery on my elbow this past July. My discharge instructions said that I could not shower for TEN days because of the sutures. Thankfully, I was able to bathe every day just by propping my arm up on the side of the tub to keep it dry. If not for the tub, I don't know what I would have done. I have a hard time skipping even one day of showering and washing my hair.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 PM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
I have a jacuzzi bath tub type that I paid extra money for it. But lately I'm getting nervous stepping into it. However this is extra on top of a shower, so it's not either or. If I have to choose, it would be just shower. I'm scared when I get older I might slip.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:19 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times
What I don't understand is the trend to not have a door on the master bath. I can't see why someone would want this. Perhaps the swing space/radius for the door would be a problem? Also the idea of a walk-in closet accessed through the bathroom means your clothes are not available if someone is using the bathroom plus they are subject to moisture.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:57 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
I live in Europe...don't know if prospective European retirees would have a different attitude on this question than Americans. It's not something I've ever thought about. But....

In Cyprus I built a nice small home with a pool, garden and great sea view and I had a walk-in shower no bathtub. When I decided to move it was seen by English and Russians. Only one person found the lack of a tub for the master bedroom a dealbreaker. However, this English woman was extremely corpulent, and it was inconceivable to me, as she could hardly walk she was so big, how she would ever use a tub. The couple who bought the house were elderly English retirees...the lack of tub was never mentioned.

In Portugal I renovated a top floor apartment, and I put in a large walk-in shower for the master bedroom. When I wanted to move the first two couples who looked at it were German and English. Both wanted the place, neither mentioned the lack of a tub.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,257,322 times
We are taking out the tub and putting in a double head shower with a seat, we are doing this for several reasons. First because we want to, next neither of us uses the tub and it is a hazard for me right now with my physical limitations, and last we will not be moving out of this home until we die so resale is not going to be our issue. We will leave the home to be sold and proceeds donated to some charity.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:05 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,799,032 times
I do think tubs are an American thing . I think most Europeans prefer a shower indeed because frankly that is probably what most Europeans grew up with . I think americans grow up with tubs and therefore see a master bath as having a tub ...JMHO

Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 AM

181 posts, read 426,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
I'd remove the tub in favor of an exquisite shower. Lots of articles online now say that tubs in master baths are out and showers in, especially if there's a tub in the 2nd bath. I think empty nesters and retirees are less likely to be interested in a tub. I know I am.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,314,379 times
A very large deep tub was a must have for our master bath. Fortunately we had the room for a huge shower also, when we remodeled our bathrooms. My husband and I can soak in the tub together and enjoy our mountain view. No need for window coverings. The tub has a surround that you can sit on to swing your legs into the tub. You cannot step into it. Hubby says that it replaces our swimming pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or