U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 660,081 times

Advertisements

Ideally - have both walk in shower AND tub

I need magnesium baths and I cant have them because - no bath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM

983 posts, read 763,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Ideally - have both walk in shower AND tub

I need magnesium baths and I cant have them because - no bath
Seems like as long as there is a tub in the house - some place - that is what is important.

The money we saved on not putting a tub in our master bathroom went toward the nice custom shower that we have there.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,339,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I just had my master bathroom tub replaced with a walk in shower. It's a much safer option as one gets older. Also, much nicer than the fiberglass all-in-one tub/surround that was here before.

My house is also one that appeals to seniors. It's a small house with master bedroom and bath on first floor, and second bedroom and bath on second floor. The upstairs bath still has a tub.

I think too many people worry too much about resale. As long as your house is clean, well maintained, and you don't decorate in some weird, off-the-wall manner, it will sell. Besides, you just moved in; why are you thinking about selling?
BINGO. I have a house that's for a couple/retiree, too. It has a bedroom and 1 bath on the first floor and a bedroom and den on the second. There's room upstairs to put in a bath but I doubt that I'll do it.

I plan on enlarging the bathroom this year, so I could include both a tub and a show stall. As I'm about to retire, a large walk-in shower would suit me much better than a small one plus a tub I'll never, ever use. If I stay in this house for another 10 years, chances are that the new owners would want to remodel the bathroom anyways, and if I die in this house, I won't really care about resale value anyways.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:38 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,712,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
BINGO. I have a house that's for a couple/retiree, too. It has a bedroom and 1 bath on the first floor and a bedroom and den on the second. There's room upstairs to put in a bath but I doubt that I'll do it.

I plan on enlarging the bathroom this year, so I could include both a tub and a show stall. As I'm about to retire, a large walk-in shower would suit me much better than a small one plus a tub I'll never, ever use. If I stay in this house for another 10 years, chances are that the new owners would want to remodel the bathroom anyways, and if I die in this house, I won't really care about resale value anyways.
I agree with you.But I can also see that a younger person buying the house could be happy with a walk in shower.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 PM

7,287 posts, read 4,162,134 times
Our last house had a two person Jacuzzi and a large shower. The shower was used every day. The Jacuzzi was used twice in 8.5 years. Both the houses we have now have a large shower in the master, which all we really need. And as someone else said, if you ever need a bathtub, there's always the other bathroom. I would dispense with the tub, especially if it means no shower, or 3x3 shower.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM

241 posts, read 227,071 times
In our remodel in FL we are going to lose the bath in the master as there is one in the shared bath. In our build in WI we will probably put one in the master as there is plenty of room, however I doubt we will ever use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or