Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I always thought with all the money that's been thrown at Cancer Research, it'd be cured by now... although progress has been made in some types, I've always wondered if drug companies had something to do with the slowness in progress.

Now the Alzheimer thing, yeah that should be addressed more too.

Us, if we get into our 90's, we might need some help somewhere. I'm hoping not, but I can't foresee the future and what might happen along the way. Maybe I should have bought that lottery ticket.

Too much money spent on curing, too little on eliminating causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:29 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
VP Joe Biden is in mission control to cure cancer and this raises a potential retirement planning crisis for many who may now live longer.

If you lived 5 years longer than what your crystal ball forecast uses for retirement planning purposes, would you be able to eat and have shelter?
Yes of course you would but then again, some people think you need to be able to live in a 4000 ft house, travel from New England to Florida twice a year and eat at fancy expensive restaurants. Anything less than that and some people freak out.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:48 PM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
If cancer is cured, my finances would not be on my mind. I would be too busy rejoicing. I'm not selfish enough to worry about myself when the thought of thousands of people a year not having to live and die in pain, undergoing devastating surgeries, and having poison injected into their bodies or radiation destroying good cells along with the bad. When I think of the families that lose a parent or a child to cancer and the emotional and financial chaos that ensues, the last thing on my mind is my own finances. Over the years I have been poor and I have been pretty comfortable (certainly never rich), but one thing is always certain and that is that I will always be just fine. I can live with, and I can live without. Been there and done that. But I can't live with stage 4 terminal cancer, so I hope they can find a cure.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I always thought with all the money that's been thrown at Cancer Research, it'd be cured by now... although progress has been made in some types, I've always wondered if drug companies had something to do with the slowness in progress.
Clearly, certain cancers are caused by a virus, but the majority of cancers are simply cell mutations, which complicates things a great deal.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:58 PM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
We are facing an epidemic in this country due to longer lifespans and increased healthcare costs. For this reason, we shifted some of our life insurance dollars into long term care insurance. we are in our 50's and by the time we need it, we should have a pretty good nest egg.

Housing suitability should also be considered. Aging in place and home modifications can keep someone in their home vs having to move in with family or a Medicaid facility.

Reverse Mortgages have changed a lot over the years. What was once considered a loan of last resort is now actually a valuable retirement planning tool. Many financial advisors have changed their opinion on the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (the official name for a reverse mortgage) as they become educated on it. If you have home equity, why shouldn't you consider it as a retirement asset?

As soon as we get old enough, 62 year of age, we are getting our own reverse mortgage an eliminating the mortgage payment from our budget. The line of credit for any left over equity will grow over time and can provide us with funds to modify our house if we need it later in life. This means we wont have to touch savings or retirement accounts and those can continue to grow.

Finally, don't discount having a garden and the ability to raise/grow some of your own food. A few backyard chickens will provide more than enough eggs and a garden will provide more fresh vegetables than you can eat. My grandparents had both until the day they passed. I guess some of what they tried to teach me sunk in..

Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Biden will cure cancer just like Gore invented the internet.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Biden will cure cancer just like Gore invented the internet.
Which is so exciting.
God bless the Democrats. Each and every one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement