U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you all!!

I've been worried lately that I was on my way out, so to speak. Memory...... can't remember names, what I had for breakfast, where am I going in the car.

It is good to know I am in good company with this memory problem.

I have started using a kitchen timer and my toaster oven has a bell that goes off when finished cooking.

Does anybody else have a tendency to nod off whenever you sit down to watch a TV show?
yes, I nod off in front of the tv. I count on it - lol. I set the TV timer so it will shut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 06:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Normal human behavior. I quite ofter start up eggs to boil and then forget about them until I start to smell burnt eggs. Lately I turn on a timer to remind me eggs are cooking.
Reminds me of the time during a hurricane warning ( this was in Miami, Fl), I had started some eggs boiling on the stove while we still had power. Well, then the power went out for a few hours and I forgot completely about those eggs. I didn't remember them when the power came back on, either, not until I heard what sounded like little popping explosions in the kitchen. I went out there to discover the pot dry and pieces of exploded egg all over the walls. They were on the ceiling too but for some reason I didn't look up at the time so didn't see that till a few years later. Well, when I discovered the eggs on the ceiling I did my best to clean them up, but wasn't able to get it all. I tried again a few years later when it was time to sell the house, but to no avail. I was painting the kitchen ceiling anyway, so I just painted over those small egg pieces I couldn't remove.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:28 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
No, I know a younger that did this, younger than 25. But I cook mostly on crockpot so I don't worry if I have to go out for errands.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 PM

18,835 posts, read 4,947,443 times
I often beat myself up over forgetting things...my husband put it into
perspective when I couldn't find my keys...he said "Do you know what
keys are for?...then don't worry".

Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 PM

3,547 posts, read 2,238,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Normal human behavior. I quite ofter start up eggs to boil and then forget about them until I start to smell burnt eggs. Lately I turn on a timer to remind me eggs are cooking.
Funny. I've ruined more pots that way. LOL. I find myself using the timer now whenever something's on the stove. And I'm just 63.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM

11,096 posts, read 12,485,180 times
I'm only 64 1/2 so looks like I'll have something to look forward to when I get old.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

I have started using a kitchen timer and my toaster oven has a bell that goes off when finished cooking.
I was told the time to start worrying is when you look at the toaster oven and say, "What the heck is that?"

Old 01-15-2016, 07:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,020,158 times
After reading through three pages of responses, I forgot what the question was and had to re-read page 1 !

Seriously, I do "unusual" things when I start something cooking or boiling. I start a timer (on my phone, so it's with me and I can hear it), or turn on the light above the range.

I've also taken to creating calendar appointments with many reminders (2 days before, 1 day before, 2 hours before) on my online calendar and have it send the reminders to my phone, so, once again, it is always with me.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 AM

890 posts, read 678,100 times
This is a true story. Many years ago when talking to an elderly client, he was telling me how bad his memory was getting and how forgetful he had become. I tried to assure him that it wasn't just him or people his age because I too have had my own little memory fog experiences. But he told me his was different and went on to give me an example.

He told me that the prior morning he woke up and was terrorized how he couldn't see, thinking maybe he had gone blind. As he festered about trying to figure out his predicament, he realized that upon awakening he had forgotten to open up his eyes.

I thought he was telling me a joke but he swore it was the truth.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:10 AM

2,637 posts, read 1,547,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I don't know if this part of old age or just normal human behavior.

Forgetting things a bit more often as you age is normal human behavior.

When I forget something, there's no way to know if I'd have done the same 30 years ago -- so what me worry? I figure that either way, its just who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or