U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM

5,022 posts, read 3,211,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Yesterday, I turned on the stovetop to boil some water and forgot about it when my dog needed to go outside.

We weren't gone long enough to do any damage and I remembered the pot as soon as I came back in.

It really made me feel old however as I just turned 70.

My son said it was something that could happen to anyone at any age and not to make to make too much over it.

I don't know if this part of old age or just normal human behavior.
I was 12, my younger sister called me into see something. I was cooking eggs at the time...The fire wasn't bad, Mom was glad we were safe....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,633,656 times
According to a team of researchers at the University of Notre Dame, walking through doorways causes forgetting.

Why Walking through a Doorway Makes You Forget - Scientific American

Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times
Today, at 66, I have a pad of Post-It Notes and write down things I need to remember on them. Wife has a pad as well, but doesn't use them nearly as much as I do.
When I cook something on the stove or in the oven that takes minutes or more, I will set the microwave Timer and match that Timer set with my iPhone 6. If we are in the living room watching tv, most likely we won't hear the microwave Timer go off, but my iPhone is sitting on the lamp stand between our recliners in the living room. We also have small pieces of paper in a holder on our frig that we will put notes on, including our grocery list. We even have a notepad and pens in our vehicle to write notes on. So, I think we got the "memory" thing covered. Of course, years ago, we didn't do any of this.........we just remembered!

On the other hand, when I was in my later 30's and single/divorced, I was renting a room w/a kitchenette at a motel. It was located right across the street from a nightclub that I liked to go to on Friday and Sunday nights. I decided to boil some eggs, and while the eggs were starting to boil, I got ready to walk over to the nightclub. Completely forgot about the eggs boiling and headed to the club. When I got back to the room, about an hour later, opened the door and could smell the bottom of the pot burning and burnt eggs. There was no flames or smoke, but when I went into the kitchen, there was hard boiled eggs busted all over the place and the boiling pot was burnt and dry. Well, it took me a little while to clean up that mess. And, that happened in my late 30's!

Old 01-15-2016, 11:33 AM

356 posts, read 222,410 times
Llep - Did you get your dog back?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:12 PM

177 posts, read 193,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Llep - Did you get your dog back?
Oh yeah. No harm done. The store was 2 minutes away and he was well known there. Thanks for asking

Old 01-15-2016, 02:25 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
One time, after I first moved into a new apartment and before my phone was installed (this was before cell phones), I came home from bar hoping and parked my car around the corner, next to the pay phone, so I could make a call. After the call, I guess I walked home. The next morning, I looked outside and, no car! At the time I didn't have full insurance and so I spent the better part of the day ticked off because my car had been stolen and I wasn't covered by insurance.

About 4PM that afternoon, it suddenly dawned on me that my car just might be by the phone booth. This all happened when I was 25 or so.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM

1,924 posts, read 988,107 times
John7777, was "bar hoping" a typo?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:48 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,241 times
I place a reminder on a surface.

Something that would never be put there.

Such as a vase of flowers on the toilet.

Works every time.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:11 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I've ruined more pots that way........

I make sure I carry a timer with me when I put something on the stove. I'm glad my microwave and toaster oven shut off automatically or I would really be in trouble.

Stuff in the 'fridge that isn't supposed to go there? That's the first place I look. I'll switch channels during the commercial and then forget to go back to the original show which is why I always record what I'm watching. Also because I tend to fall asleep in front of the TV especially when the cat crawls in my lap.

Did I take those pills? Where did I put those pills? What day is it? Write it down, write it down. Calendars are your friend.

I don't dare go to the supermarket without the shopping list. But I have to remember to look at the shopping list, or at least everything on it.

Now what did I mean to GOOGLE today?

My younger sister, age 60 something, I never can remember her age, says old people forget more because they have more to forget. Makes sense to me.

I do remember reading something that makes me feel better about my memory or lack thereof. It goes something like, if you forget your keys that's okay, if you forget what your keys are for, then you're in trouble.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Memory getting bad. I can't remember what year certain important things in my life happened. Definitely due to age, though my memory was never great – fortunately for my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or