U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:14 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times

Advertisements

Once, when I was in my 40's my son & I had apartments next to each other. The building had an automatic door closure. I can't remember why I was going outside, maybe checking the mail, but I forgot to take my keys. I'd put on a tea kettle & was just going to be quick.

Of course I let the door close and there I was, locked out.

I finally thought of breaking into my son's apartment & managed to take out his window (that was tough), crawled inside & went to my apartment. Yes, the kettle was dry by then. I made it in time, but it was tricky.

I never forgot my keys again.

I now o what everyone our age does. Walk into a room & forget what I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 05:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 672,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Yesterday, I turned on the stovetop to boil some water and forgot about it when my dog needed to go outside.

We weren't gone long enough to do any damage and I remembered the pot as soon as I came back in.

It really made me feel old however as I just turned 70.

My son said it was something that could happen to anyone at any age and not to make to make too much over it.

I don't know if this part of old age or just normal human behavior.
It's easy to get distracted at any age--especially if you are a "pleaser"--you focus more on the "other" (human or animal) than yourself.

Back in the 1970s (when I was in my 20s) I left a gas burner on by accident. It was the only burner that DIDN'T happen to have an empty pot on it!

I WOULDN'T cash in your chips yet

Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,756 times
I've been leaving the stove on since 40. I don't buy any appliance that doesn't have an automatic shutoff, have extra keys planted everywhere, and have fewer hobbies and hope to do them better. That helps. If you're busy, stressed, or someone interrupts you (thanks, phone) disasters can happen at any age.

We used to joke that between me, my best, and the old dog we totaled a complete brain. If we forgot to get dinner going or a walk, the dog would walk over and look at me funny. Now the dog's gone.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
It's easy to get distracted at any age--especially if you are a "pleaser"--you focus more on the "other" (human or animal) than yourself.

Back in the 1970s (when I was in my 20s) I left a gas burner on by accident. It was the only burner that DIDN'T happen to have an empty pot on it!

I WOULDN'T cash in your chips yet
I have some very dear kind friends who tell me that we forget things because we've got so many other things on our minds, and myriad activities that all require our concentration-ie, blame that forgetfulness on being busy. Maybe that's true, at least to some extent, I have forgotten things over the years, starting back when I was probably too young to blame it on old age. But I still have to wonder when you have to stop blaming it all on being too busy, and start blaming it on your advanced age, when you're still busy.

I do know that I don't multi-task nearly as well as I did back in my younger years. If I'm trying to do three things at once, I'm likely to forget about completing two of them. That's my age for sure.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:09 AM

168 posts, read 130,075 times
My 29 year old neighborhood started dinner...frying fish. Went out to call kids in and started talking to another neighbor. One kitchen fire later.......

Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM

34,700 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Hi, I'm 62 and I experience a little forgetfulness from time to time. This happens fairly often: I get up from the living room with a thought in my head. By the time I get to the kitchen, I've completely forgotten what it was. If I retrace my steps, sometimes it comes back to me, but not always. I figure it's part of the aging process. Good luck to us all!
That was me in my 20s.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 PM

23,643 posts, read 17,615,071 times
It happens to everyone. A couple months ago, I had an awful amount of smoke coming out of the oven with a weird chemical smell. I cut the oven off then opened it and there was this red stuff dripping everywhere. I didn't figure it out until a few days later until the lid from some Tupperware was missing.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,421,262 times
I burned up two pots in the last decade. I am a lot more careful now. I try to stay mindful in the kitchen, and don't leave unless it is to walk into an adjoining room for a minute.

I've been forgetful or absent minded my entire life. I haven't gotten very much worse, but my normal is sometimes hard to take for my DH.

Where I am having trouble is remembering names. If I learn your name now I might be unable to say it even if I have said it before a number of times. I can remember older friends' names much easier. I used to be able to tell you the titles and authors of every book I read, but I can't do that now. I forget the titles and authors almost immediately after reading them.

I hate to see this happening to me. I've always functioned as the memory officer of the family. But in some respects, I don't remember as well as I used to. I know it is because I am older.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 PM

1,165 posts, read 653,002 times
Same memory problems here. DH is worse and expects me to remember my stuff and his too. My wall calendar is very important. I've boiled many a pot dry. It's scary. I've always said it was being too busy and rushing from one thing to the next, but I understand age is a factor too. Not too long ago I couldn't remember my phone number and had to look on something to be sure. Forgot my house number also and had to check. Why is it we all had this experience with EGGS? They sure smell awful burned up!

Old 01-23-2016, 06:17 AM

8,817 posts, read 7,722,693 times
OP: Yes, I blame stuff on age. If the shoe fits..... But don't get too down on yourself. Forgetting isn't always age. Hang around some elementary age children. They have to be constantly reminded of stuff because they forget. Remember mom saying, "You'd forget your head if it wasn't.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or