Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Compounding our problem is that part of our planning for our future budget is for my wife to begin collecting social security at 62.

I'm sure the lenders could care less about that, though. They want to see what we have coming in NOW - not what we will have coming in the future.

And according to other posts I've seen, lenders want to see a reliable history of IRA distributions as well. So having not yet retired to begin developing such history, and not yet reaching 62 to start collecting SS, and having no source of income from employment, I'm not certain how we're gonna pull this off.

We had two new streams of income set to start up after we closed, which were to be used for the mortgage on our new home, which was to be our primary residence. Our loan officer was only interested in income we were already receiving. In the end, it didn't really matter as we qualified for way more house than we were looking to buy. But if it makes a difference in someone else's case, try to have the money rolling in before you apply. We had to provide two month's worth of statements, which seems to be the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
I just came across this article, How to Obtain a Mortgage with No Income, which states, in part, "If you are unemployed yet generating income from substantial savings the asset depletion loan might be a financial tool you can use to purchase real estate. While this loan isn’t for everyone, if you fit the lending parameters, it can be a great tool for buying real estate."

Basically it discusses how Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac can offer this type of loan, albeit with stringent guidelines.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in learning more about this type of loan to do a search on "depletion of assets mortgage."

Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Quote:
I just came across this article, How to Obtain a Mortgage with No Income, which states, in part, "If you are unemployed yet generating income from substantial savings the asset depletion loan might be a financial tool you can use to purchase real estate. While this loan isn’t for everyone, if you fit the lending parameters, it can be a great tool for buying real estate."

Basically it discusses how Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac can offer this type of loan, albeit with stringent guidelines.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in learning more about this type of loan to do a search on "depletion of assets mortgage."
Thanks for adding to my knowledge base. Learned something new today.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Part of what I was referring to.....

Quote:

From a Florida mortgage broker

Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
We are tiring of these brutal North Carolina winters.

But seriously, we want to be closer to her family, specially her 87 year old mother.
Got it, you are good people

Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but one solution might be to borrow against your investments, buy a house with cash, and then take out a mortgage of some sort to pay yourself back. Even a reverse mortgage might be possible.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Got it, you are good people
Yeah, the good news is I guess that makes me a great in-law. The rest of the time I'm "stuck in Florida!!"

Old 01-18-2016, 12:40 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Yeah, the good news is I guess that makes me a great in-law. The rest of the time I'm "stuck in Florida!!"
Yup and a Bada Bing for the good in-law part!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
With our available equity, rents would be about twice our mortgage. Plus, ironically, we probably wouldn't qualify for a lease with no income!
Incorrect. We rented for 9 months near Brier Creek while our home was being built. They pulled our credit, saw the scores and we were done.

I'm STILL surprised your having so much trouble with this. Are you of age (or other situation) that you are REQUIRED to take the RMD from your IRA? I was, so that might be the difference. . .

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-18-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
... Are you of age that you are REQUIRED to take the RMD from your IRA?
My wife and I are 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement