U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:29 PM

2,593 posts, read 1,290,233 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have slept in the same bed for the thirty plus years of our marriage.

That said, I'm a light sleeper and when she snores so loud I can't sleep, I just meander to the other side of our house and sleep in the guest bedroom. Hour or so later I return and usually by then her snoring spell is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 03:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,956,944 times
If you choose to sleep in separate beds in separate rooms who cares?

For many couples it's a good solution. People have different sleep cycles or are uniquely sensitive to noise or light. The important thing is to get a good 8 hours of sleep.

You can always choose when to get together to make whoopi.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:49 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,156,220 times
We've been married 42 years. Mostly, we've slept in the same bed. Several years ago, while living in a 2 story house, I'd often sleep downstairs on the couch, as the wife wanted the window AC on upstairs in the summer. I couldn't sleep with the noise from it, so she got the bedroom, and I slept in heavenly peace on the couch.

Now we live in a 2 bedroom ranch, and are both retired. I was always an early riser and continue that habit. I'm up at 4:30 am most mornings, and usually fall asleep by 9 or so. She feels that being retired, she should be able to sleep much later now, and rarely turns in before midnight. So we each took a bedroom.

We also have a sleep sofa in the living room, for guests. My love life is still fine --with my wife, not the guests......

Old 01-16-2016, 03:50 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Bamboo pillows?

I'm so thankful to have this guy in my life. I'm crazy about him. It's ridiculous to be out of sorts because of sleep issues when we have this wonderful cozy little home that easily accommodates our big ol' snoring selves.

I put sleeping up there above eating on my list of things I love to do.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:52 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,925,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Any similar stories?
My spouse and I have very different work schedules. I go to bed around 7:30pm and get up at 2:30am. He goes to bed around midnight and gets up around 7am. For me sleep is very important, if I don't get enough I get very sleepy on my ride home. So...several years ago it slowly got to where we sleep in separate beds. It was easier for many reasons and what a joy to get dressed for work with the lights on.

Every so often we go away and we try to sleep in the same bed at a hotel. I find it impossible now to sleep with him, he moves a lot when he sleeps, hits my foot with his foot. He snores, the list goes on. I am a grouchy mess in the morning. I am a deep sleeper when I am alone, with him--everyone of his constant moments/noises wakes me up.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:52 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,306,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Bamboo pillows?

I'm so thankful to have this guy in my life. I'm crazy about him. It's ridiculous to be out of sorts because of sleep issues when we have this wonderful cozy little home that easily accommodates our big ol' snoring selves.

I put sleeping up there above eating on my list of things I love to do.
Yes, Bamboo pillows. They changed my life.

https://www.bamboomagicpillow.com/?g...FdMYHwodtjYGjQ

Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,002 times
We migrated to separate rooms quite a few years ago - for sleeping. I too was embarrassed when DD noticed one time. I told her at some point sleep is more important than anything. Now, she is newly married and I notice that she often sleeps in their guest room as her new young hubby snores.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:28 PM

2,434 posts, read 1,669,408 times
We started married life in DH's boyhood twin trundle bed and never used the trundle. We eventually got a double bed. We moved up to a queen size bed when we got the FL house four years ago. We still have a full size bed in NY and adjust to it when we go back.

We both usually fall asleep within five minutes after lights are out and that makes a difference. If and when my sleep is disturbed every night, I would opt for separate beds.

Separate beds are about getting a good nights sleep. If people want to think otherwise, that's on them.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-16-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 PM

7,664 posts, read 4,712,277 times
We've been in separate bedrooms for about five years. It started when one of our cats had cancer and wanted to be near him for comfort -- but I can't have a cat near me at night, I'm allergic. So I moved to the guest room and outfitted it the way I wanted. Even though that cat is gone now, separate bedrooms solved a whole lot of other problems. He likes to fall asleep with the light on and watch TV in bed. Now he can and it doesn't bother me. Now he's the nighttime emotional comfort human for our elderly cat.

He is welcome in my room any time he wants. Sometimes he lays down with me and holds me until I fall asleep.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:25 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
It doesn't matter. I got rid of my queen sized bed when I got divorced and just kept the double futon.

Then I remarried and we live in a beach cottage with small rooms. Anyway, at this point, I see no good reason to go out and buy another queen sized bed, mattress and box spring, and bedding for it--and it wouldn't even fit in the little bedroom room anyway.

We start out together in the same double bed. Around 4am he leaves because apparently I fling my arm out and wake him up! So he gets up, has a sandwich, and goes to sleep for a few more hours in the back room.
It's become routine. Does anybody care? Does anybody KNOW? Yes, the readers on this forum--his kids live over in England.

What's heaven is when we're on vacation and we get to sleep together in a queen or king sized bed. We both appreciate that.

Another thing about separate beds is that they're good when one person is sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or