U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2016, 11:44 PM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
2,229 posts, read 1,360,218 times
Reputation: 6441

Advertisements

Here's an interesting list that ranks states on various parameters. Some things to keep in mind when evaluating your retirement destination.

State of the Union 2016: The States of Our Union Are Not All Strong - POLITICO Magazine

There are 2 different charts. Scroll down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 AM
 
10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
Reputation: 17038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There are 2 different charts. Scroll down.
Good luck to all those move to the #1 state, New Hampshire, or to the runner-up states Minnesota, Vermont, and Utah. Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 04:24 AM
 
1,078 posts, read 815,275 times
Reputation: 4314
I hope the people who can't think for themselves read this and take it to heart.

Then maybe everybody and their brother will stop saying "we're thinking of moving to Tennessee, what's it like?"

TN came in at 45 and that works for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 AM
 
5,825 posts, read 13,335,810 times
Reputation: 9304
Rankings based on education, health and wealth. As a retiree this listing IMO is useless. If someone is considering a place to move they should visit it for an extended period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 06:19 AM
 
Location: WA
5,398 posts, read 21,422,898 times
Reputation: 5908
This is a unusual and narrow view to use to rank states and really just shows the priorities and limited experience of a single publication. I would not use this ranking for any reason except to show you can use selected statistics to prove anything you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 06:31 AM
 
12,079 posts, read 5,165,692 times
Reputation: 19057
I'm happy to see the state I wish to eventually move to is in the bottom 10. Lower wealth, lower property taxes and property values mean I'll get a nicer home for the money and a significantly lower cost of living. Not all of us are retiring with millions in our 401K.
Politico is a left leaning magazine. Did you notice nearly all of the best states are "blue" and nearly all the bottom states are "red" politically? I'm willing to be that's no coincidence or accident.

Last edited by marino760; 01-17-2016 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Reputation: 32309
When you stop and think about it, what drives most of the data categories used in the rankings is the relative size of the permament underclass/lower middle class. Just think New Hampshire, for example.

Of much more relevance to one's quality of life in retirement is the area of a state one chooses to live in, not the state per se. Let's take Arkansas, which has tons of poorly educated people, primarily in the rural areas and smaller towns. I have visited my sister and her husband in Little Rock a number of times over the years, staying in their home for two to four days at a time, meeting some of their friends, attending cultural events with them, and visiting various attractions such as the Clinton Presidential Museum and the World War II submarine which is moored in the Arkansas River.

The section of LIttle Rock in which my sister lives bears no relationship to the ranking of the state of Arkansas on the list. They enjoy excellent schools and health care and their quality of life is excellent. Yet in the aggregate, I cannot quarrel with the placement of Arkansas on the list (given the criteria which were selected by the magazine). So the list boils down to a sort of snobbism.

Note that weather was not one of the factors considered; the top three states have very cold winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Washington State
18,676 posts, read 9,639,706 times
Reputation: 15905
The truth, hard as it is for so many to accept, is that you can figure out about where these states are going to be ranked based on their racial characteristics...the top 8 are all virtually completely white, the lowest 3 states have the highest black %. Basically, if you want to live in the highly rated states, you are saying you want to live in a white dominated area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,344,278 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Rankings based on education, health and wealth. As a retiree this listing IMO is useless. If someone is considering a place to move they should visit it for an extended period.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
This is a unusual and narrow view to use to rank states and really just shows the priorities and limited experience of a single publication. I would not use this ranking for any reason except to show you can use selected statistics to prove anything you want.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
When you stop and think about it, what drives most of the data categories used in the rankings is the relative size of the permament underclass/lower middle class. Just think New Hampshire, for example.

Of much more relevance to one's quality of life in retirement is the area of a state one chooses to live in, not the state per se. Let's take Arkansas, which has tons of poorly educated people, primarily in the rural areas and smaller towns. I have visited my sister and her husband in Little Rock a number of times over the years, staying in their home for two to four days at a time, meeting some of their friends, attending cultural events with them, and visiting various attractions such as the Clinton Presidential Museum and the World War II submarine which is moored in the Arkansas River.

The section of LIttle Rock in which my sister lives bears no relationship to the ranking of the state of Arkansas on the list. They enjoy excellent schools and health care and their quality of life is excellent. Yet in the aggregate, I cannot quarrel with the placement of Arkansas on the list (given the criteria which were selected by the magazine). So the list boils down to a sort of snobbism.

Note that weather was not one of the factors considered; the top three states have very cold winters.
Exactly this. None of the things listed here would make me want to move/not move to any particular state because they are largely irrelevant to retirees, and they are statewide numbers anyways which can be easily skewed. What retirees are interested in, IMO, are COL numbers (including housing options), lifestyle amenities (public transit, golf courses, public parks, libraries, etc), medical amenities, and social aspects (as in 'are newcomers welcome?', 'can I find a church of my denomination?') in the city/town/area where they're thinking of moving.

Mostly, these are only going to be things that retirees will find out about any new area only when they've been there for a while or if they've visited frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,111 posts, read 12,504,838 times
Reputation: 26239
Escort Riders post nails it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top