U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 1,564,348 times

Advertisements

I'm in complete agreement with the OP. I'm 70ish , and my lovely bride is generally a very patient person (she raised a developmentally/physically disabled child more or less alone) but she get very irritated with me because of my hearing issues. Yes I have hearing aides ($2700 for the pair - basic models) but they don't seem to make a whole lot of difference except for high pitched sounds (microwave beeping, etc). Turning up the volume generally doesn't do much but make for a louder muffled sound. Consequently I watch very little television, etc.

Out in public I'm sure I often give nonsensical answers ala "in the navy", etc. I can live with that. The real concern is when I am trying to communicate with a Doctor/Dentist/city official/etc when I really really need to understand what is said and I can't.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Hands down, stupidity. I have absolutely no tolerance for stupid people.
This comment says more about the poster than those "stupid people"....... Just sayin.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:56 AM

12,762 posts, read 14,114,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Hands down, stupidity. I have absolutely no tolerance for stupid people.
A reaction that I also have sometimes, but it is not one that I am very comfortable with. People can behave "stupidly" for many reasons. Some people are probably downright despicable, others have problems to do with mental or social shortcomings which are not necessarily apparent.

It is difficult, perhaps almost impossible much of the time, but I have come to feel more and more often that it is a good idea to step on my tongue when dealing with people I find "stupid." If stupid makes for trouble, lunging for the throat of stupid is no improvement probably.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,885,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
This comment says more about the poster than those "stupid people"....... Just sayin.
Probably a know it all and those of us who think they know it all are least appreciated by those of us who do...

Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 AM

13,756 posts, read 5,542,681 times
Any kind of mental illness is seen as a weakness or defect in character by most people, instead of a debilitating condition.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Any kind of mental illness is seen as a weakness or defect in character by most people, instead of a debilitating condition.
Of course! If you are old enough to remember Dr. Marcus Welby on the tube, he could cure almost any addiction/depression/etc just by giving you a stern talking to.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM

424 posts, read 235,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'm in complete agreement with the OP. I'm 70ish , and my lovely bride is generally a very patient person (she raised a developmentally/physically disabled child more or less alone) but she get very irritated with me because of my hearing issues. Yes I have hearing aides ($2700 for the pair - basic models) but they don't seem to make a whole lot of difference except for high pitched sounds (microwave beeping, etc). Turning up the volume generally doesn't do much but make for a louder muffled sound. Consequently I watch very little television, etc.

Out in public I'm sure I often give nonsensical answers ala "in the navy", etc. I can live with that. The real concern is when I am trying to communicate with a Doctor/Dentist/city official/etc when I really really need to understand what is said and I can't.

Mahalo
Mahalo, how long has it been since you had a new pair of hearing aids? Are the ones you have analog or digital. Digital hearing aids are little computers that are programmed to your exact loss. If it has been a good while since you had your hearing checked, being that your pretty much miserable, have your hearing checked and your hearing aids adjusted if they are digital

Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Mahalo, how long has it been since you had a new pair of hearing aids? Are the ones you have analog or digital. Digital hearing aids are little computers that are programmed to your exact loss. If it has been a good while since you had your hearing checked, being that your pretty much miserable, have your hearing checked and your hearing aids adjusted if they are digital

They are not quite 4 years old. Siemens digital. Had them "tuned up" in December of 2014 before we moved from Florida to Hawaii. Will probably replace them in the next few months. I'm not sure there is a Siemens dealer on the Big Island, so I may end up at Costco.

Thanks for your concern!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,225,531 times
OP: "Did you know that a hearing loss is the least accepted? It makes people mad when someone cannot understand what is being said. This loss is the most ridiculed."

"Depression, drug abuse, mental health etc these disabilities are a different topic. This post isn't to discount them."

"I am referring to just this post as to why I am making a difference. The others belong in a different post. Feel free to make a different post. I am talking about how people react to people who have a hearing loss. They get "MAD" at you, acting like your ignoring them on purpose."

"Maybe I should have rephrased my title but I still think people are unkind to those who cannot hear because they don't believe that you have a problem. They take it personally."
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

How about this? I will give you the same advice that others give to those suffering from depression.

"Get over it." Or, my personal favorite, "Suck it up, Buttercup."

Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,885,095 times
Note to self - just say "this is bad and it bothers me" if you start a thread about an ailment. Do not say it is worse than something else or tell people not to bring up other things or the thread will go off the rails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement