U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM

25,335 posts, read 41,448,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
When I figure out they can't hear me, I just speak more slowly and clearly, not louder.
I have a hearing loss. I usually hear professionals very well, they speak like you described. I don't understand mumbling, looking away and various slurred languages...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 PM

4,121 posts, read 4,700,648 times
What a thread. Just stumbled across it.

I'm deaf in one ear, mostly deaf in the other. I have a Cochlear Implant (greatest device ever invented!). Difficulty hearing is very frustrating for both sides--people who have it would LOVE to be able to hear better, and people trying to talk to them get very frustrated trying to have a conversation. No one likes to repeat themselves, and after 2-3 attempts, usually go "Oh nothing, not a big deal". This really pisses us off, but what can you do?

Hearing loss differs from sight impairment in that most (but not all) vision problems can be corrected to near 100% with glasses. Hearing aids help, but are not glasses. You're lucky if they get you 50% better hearing. And in noisy situations, they can even be worse (wall of sound syndrome)

But like everything else in life, you have to play with the cards you're dealt. Did I like losing my hearing as an adult? Hell no. But it was either work at getting over it, or retreat into a closet. Either way it's your choice.

Every once in a while, I'll have a pity party for myself. But I quickly banish it. No matter how bad it is for me, at least it's not... {insert something even worse than losing your hearing}

And let's not compare disabilities. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What's the difference between hearing impaired and deaf? If the preschooler couldn't hear you, wouldn't that imply he was deaf?
Hearing impaired implies some difficulty hearing, anything from some loss all the way to deaf. Deaf means you don't hear sounds.

So if perfect hearing is 100, hearing impaired is somewhere between 0 and 99. Deaf is 0.

Having said that, everyone loses some hearing as they age, usually with minimal impact on their life. Most people take hearing impaired to mean your hearing loss is having an effect on your life, not simply that you have some loss.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 4,422,299 times
Volume is only part of the hearing loss equation. For me it is as much the loss of discernment; the brain understanding what it actually said. I often tell people I make up half of what I hear, which is not far from the truth.

I never had the tattoo situation, but have had some pretty hilarious exchanges. I can usually tell when I have 'guessed' wrongly. At that point, I usually say, Ugh, that is not what you said, is it? Or, I misunderstood you didn't I? Then go on to explain the why, without belaboring the point.

In some shape, form or fashion, we are all disabled.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:59 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,084,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I began losing my hearing in my early 60's as did my mom who was completely deaf in her 80's. I have hearing aides but they only help a bit. I can still many things but not under some circumstances. Maybe better ones would work but I only have those I can afford.

I tell people don't talk to me with your face turned away. I can't hear you. They do it anyway then ask "Didn't you hear me?"

Cochlear implants are only for some hearing conditions as are hearing aids. Besides being expensive, hearing aids are not comfortable for many people. I can't get through the day with them. If I'm home by myself, out they go. So saying this condition can easily be corrected is false.

I would not say that hearing loss is the least tolerated disability though. In fact, I don't know why anyone needs to compare disabilities to begin with. "My disability is worse than your disability?"

Every disability sadly comes with its problems and challenges. There are always going to be jerks who are intolerant no matter what the disability may be.
My DW is hearing impaired. She went for a long time w/o hearing aids because cost. Now that she has been able to correct the lost to some extent the audiologist said it is important to wear the aids except for sleep because the lack of stimulus my hasten continuing loss.
I am not always able to keep from projecting my frustration on her when I need to repeat what was said. I need to wake her for her schedule because she can't get an alarm she can hear. It is easy to be a dick about it.
As to the outrageous cost......you can buy several state of the art 4k big screen TVs for the cost of a pair...........

Old 01-21-2016, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 15,201 times
I was born with severe hearing loss in both of my ears, I can attest to the OP statement that the issues that Hearing Impaired deals with is very misunderstood. It is not a disability one can see by looking at someone who can't hear unlike someone who is blind or in a wheel chair. And the wrong kind of help is often presented to them making things worse.

This is a communication disorder with the general public, so I often feel isolated and shunned. I never feel so lonely as I do in a crowded room full of people laughing when they listen to a stand up comedian share a joke. I have no idea what was said and I see all these people laughing so hard. It is like this every day of my life.

Things I come across in my life that makes me feel incredibly misunderstood:

I would let the airline know I can't hear in case any messages over the speakers would be important for me to know in case plane changed or time delay and etc... what I get instead? Braille books, flight attendants wants to hold my hand to lead me off the plane, and I get a wheel chair waiting for me when I exit the plane. This is in no way of exaggeration!

People assume I have a sign language interpreters following me around at all times. No, it does not work that way though it would be nice. literally impossible. I have pen and paper ready to use as a communication tools. I am seriously not joking here but I would say 75 percent of the time I am rejected by others using the pen and paper method. They would just say never mind and walk away. That is so rude and unfortunate.

People are often astonished that I drive and own my car... umm... it takes eyes to see and watch where you are going. sirens are often reflected in the rear view mirror or can see ahead.. You can also see other cars swerving. Don't need to hear this.

I work for a office job that provides services to thousands of employees, very social position. People are more than impressed.. but honestly.. its not that impressive.. I am doing a job just like everyone else. I am just like you but can't hear very well and use other alternatives than my ears to hear.

I am quiet in a car filled with people when it is dark. I can't read lips in the dark. Sometimes people think I am an introvert or just don't want to talk when its just a limit I have at times.

My hearing aids are 6k for the pair.. insurance only covers for 2k. Batteries are quite expensive. I replace mine weekly (a pair a week). Batteries are expensive.. often 13 dollars for just 8 batteries that will last 4 weeks. This is if its not wet or too cold outside.

I get glares all the time in the grocery stores or the like. There will be someone behind me possibly saying excuse me or something and hoping I move out of the way. When I don't move out of the way because I innocently did not hear them, I get such rude stares from others.

School is hard! Especially Math. Do I look at the interpreters jumbling numbers, or do I look at the board with the written out math formula with the teacher facing away from me and facing the board explaining abut the formula while writing?

Deaf people have always been able to do anything as far as job wise, entertainment and ect, we have many famous deaf to look up to as well some of the most educated and advocates... but in the general public and being able to participate communication wise with full understanding..its a huge gap that has long ways to go.

I still got a long ways to retire... but my biggest fear is to end up in a nursery home when no one else communicates with sign language scares the heck out of me. Not understanding what medication given to me, or why someone is pushing me out the door and etc....

On the bright side, there are some nursery homes that have a small deaf population that have trained staffs who signs and deaf/hearing impaired are grouped with other deafs/hearing impaired. I have visited one of them and to my amazement, the deaf there are chipper than ever and incredibly happy. They are signing away, painting their nails fun colors just for fun and etc. Just think about it, most of us lose some degree of hearing when we get older, and even some of our eyesight. Its normal part of ageing. I think the differences with the deaf nursing homes is that everyone signs so they have a rich social relationship... if you don't sign and you lose your hearing, it can be quite difficult to communicate with others and have deep conversations and you become isolated. There are only a few handful of nursery homes like this and most don't know about it. I hope it changes for more awareness in the future.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:23 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,175,271 times
I know all about being hard of hearing. I have been deaf in one ear since I was born. I guess my good ear must have super hearing. Sometimes I've heard things that our dogs haven't. I have a problem only if I'm in a large noisy room (weddings, parties, etc) or if someone whispers to me in the wrong ear.

My husband just turned 61 and he's in denial about his hearing loss. I have to repeat many things. He will say that he was concentrating on something, thinking about something else, reading, the tv was too loud, I was mumbling, etc, etc.

He promised me and our grown children 4 years ago that he would get it tested... it hasn't happened yet. I get very sick of repeating myself. If he's THIS stubborn with his hearing, I wonder what else he'll be stubborn with as he ages? (won't use a walker when he's falling? won't wear protective underwear if he's dribbling, etc) AGH! lol

Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I know all about being hard of hearing. I have been deaf in one ear since I was born. I guess my good ear must have super hearing. Sometimes I've heard things that our dogs haven't. I have a problem only if I'm in a large noisy room (weddings, parties, etc) or if someone whispers to me in the wrong ear.

My husband just turned 61 and he's in denial about his hearing loss. I have to repeat many things. He will say that he was concentrating on something, thinking about something else, reading, the tv was too loud, I was mumbling, etc, etc.

He promised me and our grown children 4 years ago that he would get it tested... it hasn't happened yet. I get very sick of repeating myself. If he's THIS stubborn with his hearing, I wonder what else he'll be stubborn with as he ages? (won't use a walker when he's falling? won't wear protective underwear if he's dribbling, etc) AGH! lol
I have the same trouble with MOH. MOH's mother wore two strong hearing aids. MOH claims I mumble everything and only one other person {a contractor who works around loud equipment} has asked me to repeat anything I say.

MOH asks me to repeat 70% of what I say. AND when I SHOUT it to MOH, MOH gets angry that I SHOUT. BUT, it appears to be the only way MOH hears me!

I get SOOOOOOO tired of repeating everything I say, when a thorough hearing test would confirm/deny whether there is a hearing difficulty, or if I truly only mumble to MOH.

I think MOH DOESN"T want to know the answer! SOon to be 57, it would not be untoward if MOH had a hearing issue develop.
SO I commiserate with you, or should I say I COMMISERATE WITH YOU..in case someone cannot hear me?

Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,175,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have the same trouble with MOH. MOH's mother wore two strong hearing aids. MOH claims I mumble everything and only one other person {a contractor who works around loud equipment} has asked me to repeat anything I say.

MOH asks me to repeat 70% of what I say. AND when I SHOUT it to MOH, MOH gets angry that I SHOUT. BUT, it appears to be the only way MOH hears me!

I get SOOOOOOO tired of repeating everything I say, when a thorough hearing test would confirm/deny whether there is a hearing difficulty, or if I truly only mumble to MOH.

I think MOH DOESN"T want to know the answer! SOon to be 57, it would not be untoward if MOH had a hearing issue develop.
SO I commiserate with you, or should I say I COMMISERATE WITH YOU..in case someone cannot hear me?
I know with my lack of hearing in one ear I should be more forgiving, but sometimes I "raise" my voice to my husband also. Not quite a shout, but I get my point across that he should have heard me the first time. (like even in the car right beside him!!!)

Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM

9,685 posts, read 15,871,097 times
For those who are hard-of-hearing, they need to realize they bear some of the responsibility for effective communication as well. Just saying "what" or "speak up" all the time is NOT the way to handle a hearing loss.

My mother was hard-of-hearing most of my life, and I wish I had treated her better, but she did nothing to compensate for her problem except blame the other guy. That will eventually provoke anyone! She would try to carry on a conversation from 2 rooms away, with the TV on, the dishwasher running, etc. Although I could hear her, she couldn't hear my replies, which would result in a constant series of "what"

She also used her hearing loss as a weapon. She would interrupt other people's conversations, or rather, just butt right in on a totally different topic. When we'd point out to her she was interrupting, she would say oh, she didn't know she was interrupting because she "can't hear" although she could hear normal conversation levels. If she just looked at two people it would be obvious they were talking, even if she were stone deaf! It was her way of taking over a situation.

She would talk so LOUD it was a public embarrassment! She claimed she couldn't hear herself, but surely one can feel their volume and pitch. She went to speech therapy where they tried to teach her how to control her talking volume to an acceptable level, but she refused to cooperate. They had her use a machine that had a visual feedback of her voice, compared to normal volume. The spread was incredible! The goal was to try to match her volume to the "standard" volume, then try to take that feeling with her of breath, exertion, body expressions, etc. It would have worked if she would have tried, but all she did was belittle the therapist, making jokes about her, etc. She went two times, then refused, although insurance approved 10 visits.

She did get a hearing aid, but didn't work with it enough to get it adjusted right. She expected to just put it and go. If only it were that easy! She might go back 1-2 times for adjustments, but not enough to get any real benefit.

Hearing loss is very difficult to treat and very difficult to live with. Unfortunately, there aren't any perfect solutions or cures out there and many of the treatments leave much to be desired. But at least give them a try. Don't just sit there saying "what" all the time

Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 AM

4,121 posts, read 4,700,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For those who are hard-of-hearing, they need to realize they bear some of the responsibility for effective communication as well. Just saying "what" or "speak up" all the time is NOT the way to handle a hearing loss.
Don't you think we know this? Just because of your relationship with your mother, don't think to judge all HOH people.

Of course we know what we have to do. Try living with it 24/7.

Sorry, I found your post very condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement