U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,314,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My sister passed today so now I am without parents, siblings, Aunts or
Uncles. Still processing!
So very sorry for your loss. Take good care of yourself please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:49 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,314,379 times
I have 3 brothers. All pretty healthy at this point. But my mom, at 92, is the last of her 5 other siblings. The oldest two taken in the flu epidemic of 1919. She has several cousins left.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes, I lost my last brother April 2013 and my only Sis July 2011...I spent the last couple years progressing through grief....

I finally feel normal....meaning for example I enjoyed decorating and doing some holiday get togethers with my adult kids. Doing normal daily activities.

I'm in my early 60's...and the oldest. My brother that died in 13' was my baby brother. Somehow you don't expect to outlive your younger siblings.

It is soul-saddening to know there is no one anymore that shares your childhood memories...that just gets you.

As I said, I progressed through grief...I finally got to the point that I knew they would be fussing at me for not "living"...so I'm getting on with it.

My advice to all people, if you are fortunate to have an older relative...spend time...ask questions, start a video diary, record them telling family stories....it is so healing and priceless.

My condolences to your aunt.
This thread has helped me so much. I am also in my early 60's and from a small family of four: one younger sister, father, mother and myself. My sister and I did not have children, and it was always just the four of us and misc. aunts, uncles and cousins. I lost my sister and father one year apart 7-8 years ago. I was devastated because we were so very close...we talked multiple times each and every day and we loved to laugh and have a good time. Last July I lost my mother and I am still trying to come to terms with being the only one left of the original family. I know exactly how difficult it is not to have anyone left to share childhood and family memories. Holidays are tough to say the least.

I am married to a man 12 years older than me and even though he has grown children and grand kids, they live a different lifestyle and we seldom communicate. I do have several close friends and I hope to be able to cultivate more friendships...not just for selfish reasons either. I know that there is a good chance that my husband may go before me and I will be totally alone one day. I am trying to set new goals for myself to meet new people and try some new experiences now, so that I won't go into a deep depression when I am completely and totally alone. Life must go on.

I like the advice to spend time with the few cousins and aunts that are still living. I look into my aunt's eyes and I see the faces of my mom and dad and it is bittersweet. Thank you for allowing me to be able to talk about this with people that share an understanding of how difficult and precious life can be. May all of you find peace and contentment in your lives again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or