Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM

34,875 posts, read 30,967,773 times

Advertisements

Last week, my only remaining great aunt/uncle passed away at the age of 72. Her passing left my grandmother, 79, the only remaining sibling of either eleven or twelve that made it to adulthood. When we were at the funeral Saturday, she brought up the fact that she was the only one remaining and had buried all of her siblings, parents, and also my grandfather. It seemed to shake her up significantly and made her realize her own mortality and age more than I think she typically does - she's a healthy 79, lives independently, and still gets around well.

Have any of the posters on this board faced this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:53 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,415,126 times
Not yet - but my mother and her sister are the only ones left out of 6 of them. Mom is 80, Aunt C is 78 I think. She is almost totally blind. My mom is ok but has had breast cancer, and a hip replaced. Can't do stairs well, and Macular Degeneration is getting her too. I think Aunt C will go before mom.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,543,701 times
yes, all of my immediate relatives are dead.....parents and sibling dead.

(I have one sibling left, but he is of no use because he goes years without communicating and lives 1500 miles away)

I'm 68.

any other non-immediate relatives live far away (cousins) and I do not know them anyway, as we did not ever live close-by to each other

My father had no siblings, and just one of my aunts (mother's sister) is alive and in her 80's.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-19-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,199,388 times
My mom only had one brother, no sisters. He died very young - 47.

I have 10 siblings. I have thought about that now and then. My mom is almost 92 and I hope no one passes before she does. We haven't even told her that her cat died.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,929,249 times
I am soon to be without parents or siblings.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,736,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Last week, my only remaining great aunt/uncle passed away at the age of 72. Her passing left my grandmother, 79, the only remaining sibling of either eleven or twelve that made it to adulthood. When we were at the funeral Saturday, she brought up the fact that she was the only one remaining and had buried all of her siblings, parents, and also my grandfather. It seemed to shake her up significantly and made her realize her own mortality and age more than I think she typically does - she's a healthy 79, lives independently, and still gets around well.

My Mother outlived all her brothers....She had a sister, but her son got her shuttered off somewhere we couldn't find her later....But she did cry once about being the only one to outlive all her siblings....

Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,279,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Of course. This is life and it is well known stage, the pain of being the last one left. Would you not have expected her to feel that way?

OP I don't mean to be harsh sounding but of all your posts this is the most lacking in empathy and understanding

Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM

807 posts, read 1,169,727 times
My mom, almost 90 has buried 2 husbands, parents and siblings. Her sister and her were very close and she misses her terribly. My late grandfather once commented to me that the worst part of getting old is outliving all your family and friends.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,384,785 times
There were five of us kids, I'm the youngest. The folks are gone, along with the oldest two siblings. When I remarked to my oldest surviving sibling that it was consoling to think that at least we were dying in order, he was not amused.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:36 PM

34,875 posts, read 30,967,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Of course. This is life and it is well known stage, the pain of being the last one left. Would you not have expected her to feel that way?

OP I don't mean to be harsh sounding but of all your posts this is the most lacking in empathy and understanding
I feel bad for her and realize we probably don't have that many years left together, but I personally didn't know any of her brothers or sisters that well, with the exception of one sister who passed away several years ago. I can't remember seeing the men more than once every few years or having a conversation of any meaning with any of them. Not trying to come off as callous, but most of those great aunts and uncles were essentially strangers to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement