U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM

89 posts, read 71,573 times

Advertisements

While reading the thread regarding being the last surviving sibling, I noted the different age range perspectives of "old" - for lack of a better description. What used to be 'old' is not, the closer I get to it! What do you consider old vs elderly? I consider my parents, in their 90's, elderly. I don't consider 60's old and probably not 70's. My perspective is that the 80's begin the transition to old then elderly. But of course this is only based on my experiences. Who knows, once I begin approaching 80 I may change my mind. I did a quick search on this topic and didn't see an immediate result so I thought I'd post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:53 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,296,531 times
When I was a kid my Mother was old and my Grandparents and Great Grandparents were elderly, now that I am an adult I am old and my Mother is elderly. Except chronologically I am not really that old and neither is my Mother.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM

5,967 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
While reading the thread regarding being the last surviving sibling, I noted the different age range perspectives of "old" - for lack of a better description. What used to be 'old' is not, the closer I get to it! What do you consider old vs elderly? I consider my parents, in their 90's, elderly. I don't consider 60's old and probably not 70's. My perspective is that the 80's begin the transition to old then elderly. But of course this is only based on my experiences. Who knows, once I begin approaching 80 I may change my mind. I did a quick search on this topic and didn't see an immediate result so I thought I'd post.
I think you have it right. I live in a 55+ and that is how it seems here.

I hate seeing news articles where the headline says elderly and the article says 67.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,354,565 times
I just filled out an application to adopt a dog. They asked if I was a: Child, Adult, or Elderly. I answered Adult.

In another part of the application I told them I was retired and looking for a companion dog.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM

5,267 posts, read 3,030,249 times
Elderly is someone who is more than 15 years older than yourself.

There are getting to be fewer and fewer of them.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
joni78, I completely agree with your ranking and definitions.

You summarize it well.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
I used to think labels like this would bother me. At 67 I find they don't, much ado about nothing at all.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 AM

481 posts, read 400,568 times
Old is a number that varies by individual perception. When I was 18, 30 was old. Fifty was unimaginable.

Elderly people are those who act "old" according to stereotypes (creaky, cranky, dotty and forgetful) and who exhibit outer signs of age. Tina,Turner is 76, but still carries herself like a dancer and does not appear "elderly." (But would they let her adopt a puppy?)

Senior is a marketing term, a euphemism.

Geriatric seems to be the only term I can find that is associated with an actual number (65+). It seems to have to do with the higher proportion of people over that age who exhibit signs of declining health, and consequently have special needs for treatment and care.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,175,988 times
Is redefining old better than using the old definition?

Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 AM

7,118 posts, read 8,165,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Old is a number that varies by individual perception. When I was 18, 30 was old. Fifty was unimaginable.

Elderly people are those who act "old" according to stereotypes (creaky, cranky, dotty and forgetful) and who exhibit outer signs of age. Tina,Turner is 76, but still carries herself like a dancer and does not appear "elderly." (But would they let her adopt a puppy?).
Yes, yes, and yes!:

You know, sometimes this forum can be awfully depressing. "Oh, I'm so OLD, so sick, just waiting to die...". I feel like telling such people to just get over it! Or go get another flu shot!

One of my daughters works with disabled young adults. These people, aged 18 to 30 or so, have illnesses and diseases that most of us have never heard of. And yes, some of them die of them. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, and these young people don't pity themselves.

That said, I'm not sure anymore what "old" or "elderly" is. I'm 68 and still living as I always have. I feel positively young when I visit my 94 yo neighbor...not because he's so much "older" - but because he's so full of life and laughter and future dreams. I hope they all come true!

I have known lots of people who never got old. Old is a state of mind, just as poor is a state of mind. No matter how old I get, or how much money I lose, I will never be old or poor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement