U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,684,984 times

Advertisements

OK, just thinking at this point but a conversation earlier today just me to thinking -

First of all, I do love where I live but I do see the future and my neighborhood will be full of young families and as we get older, would we feel out of place? Hard to say b/c many of us in our 50s - 60s - 70s are original or close to original owners and the community is 32-34 years old.

Today, I am speaking to a client who lives in a 55 plus near The Villages. It's a lovely place and he has settled in nicely. He is always asking us to visit, etc.

I have another client who just sold their home here and are moving to The Villages. They have visited many times, have lots of contacts and have contracted a new build. I will be doing their loan. They are 68 and 65.

The man I was speaking to told me they are building close to 300 homes a MONTH there and that I should think about opening an office there or relocate "while it's hot" - well, it got me to thinking since my area is pretty much built out.

This is all speculation at this point but I could hire someone technically and get things going so to speak.

This gentleman also told me most of the sales people and a lot of the work force around The Villages are all 50 plus at least.

Is this true? (in your area)

We would have to work at this point. Just trying to make sure we fit in somewhere and timing is everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:19 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Not sure exactly what you're asking about, Bette. I've been looking into moving into a 55+ community when I retire and have spent a lot of time there 'poking about', talking to the residents, and visiting with the management/owners on several occasions. The community of several hundred homes is divided pretty much evenly between three factions.

One-third are 'stay-at-home' retirees, one-third are snow-birds, and the other third are still gainfully employed outside the complex. The place promotes itself as an "active retirement community". Seems to be an accurate description.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 PM

Smile Timing

While I love where we are, I find myself questioning the right time and if we were to relocate to a 55 plus area.

How hard - if you have done it - to relocate and kind of start over?

Can it be done?

Would we feel accepted? Or, if you were in this situation, did you feel so?

My husband and I have worked so hard all our lives, long hours and had set backs like so many others.

Sometimes, I think of these 55 plus areas like a Disneyland for Adults (maybe not true always) and I get a bit envious.

Even though I work a lot, I think I try to hide the loneliness with work.

After hearing the comments made to me this morning, it just got me all revved up and I just got excited. We're not ready to do this tomorrow - we also my FIL in this area so we are kind of stuck - but what scares me is say 7 years go by, we move and find we are "too old", not wanted or not employable even if self employed. Net working is important. Just ranting,I know.

Last edited by Bette; 01-20-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM

8,945 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Bette

I cannot speak for the Villages, but I know several people at Sun City Hilton Head that continue to work. My concern with anyplace would be can you earn the amount of money you need or are presently earning in the Villages area. Quite often older workers are limited to part time and low wages positions. I see them all the time at Lowes, Staples, WalMart, etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Okay, I have a little bit of a better idea of what you are asking. As with all things, they will be different for everybody. I'm by myself and my parents raised their children to be pretty independent. I do have a lady friend, and she may or may not come with me when I retire shortly.

In my case, I will be leaving the state of my, and my father's birth, and moving to the state of his parents and grandparent's birth. It is several states away and a two-day all-day drive between them. It will be a new life for me, and I anticipate it being a new life of adventure, free from the time constraints of a mortgage-paying job. In addition to the adventure of it all, it is also a much lower cost of living area. I'm in one of the highest now and will be moving to one of the lowest. Makes the bucks go further as well as allow me to have a much nicer home than where I am now.

What attracts me to this particular active 55+ community is its 'sense of community'. Being by myself, I realize that I need to be a part of something larger than myself. In addition to taking college classes and volunteer church and community work, there are abundant opportunities for outdoor activities as well as within the complex itself. It has a pretty extensive clubhouse with billiards, a movie theater, dance floor, swimming pool, sauna, pickleball (whatever that is), a putting green, bar-b-que patio, potlucks, lending library, video lending library, gymnasium, and on and on. I've been assured that I can partake as much or as little as I desire. I would expect to go to some special interest groups, such as their amateur radio club, but will probably be too busy 'doing my own thing', (photography, tennis, cycling, etc.).

The development is somewhat unique in that you own the stick-built house, but lease the land from the owner/manager. They have assured me that when the complex is built out, (sometime late next year), that they are not going to pull up stakes and go somewhere else. This is their income-producing 'job'. The monthly lease fee includes snow removal, water, sewer, trash, WIFI, RV storage, and 24-hour access to the club house. Adding all that up and comparing it to what I now pay shows that I actually only pay about $150 per month to be able to live there.

The only thing that gives me pause for hesitation is the "look" of the place. It is very reminiscent of a mobile home park. I mean that the houses look alike and are very close to each other. My first impression was, "Yuck!" But, the people are great! They really look out for each other and there is a definite sense of community. I can rest assured that when I'm out on one of my extended bike rides, someone will be looking after my place. I also wonder just how much time I'll want to be outside doing yard work when I could be inside doing something else. Most of the yards are pretty low maintenance.

Hope this helps. I haven't decided for sure if this is where I'll move, but it's at the top of the list. If there is still a vacant lot available with a view of the mountains, then I'll probably go ahead. If the only view is of my neighbor's roof, then I'll probably purchase a suburban track house nearby that does have a view.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Smile Self employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Bette

I cannot speak for the Villages, but I know several people at Sun City Hilton Head that continue to work. My concern with anyplace would be can you earn the amount of money you need or are presently earning in the Villages area. Quite often older workers are limited to part time and low wages positions. I see them all the time at Lowes, Staples, WalMart, etc.
We are both self employed and hope to continue this. He is a CPA; I am a mortgage broker and I am licensed in the same state as the Villages.

If we found a different state to go to, easy to get licensed at least for me.

The same line of work would have to continue.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Since I have moved to a retirement community approximately 18 months ago, I have been offered any number of jobs - tax preparation, teaching, bus driving, and the like. However, I do NOT have the time to work and still do all of the things that I want to do in retirement.

I see several types of people working within this community:

1) People who have not retired at this point. Many of these people continue to work the jobs that they have been working for years. Some of these are contractors who bought into the community when the real estate market collapsed, bought a house at a very low price and remodeled them.

2) People who are working a part-time job. This is usually an employee of the community, retail, substitute teacher and the like. Most of these folks are younger pension-receiving folks who want to stay working in the community.

3) Independent contractors . These people have small "cottage" industries - house sitting, care giving, and the like. These folks are generally very active and generate business through their contacts. Add real estate agents into this group.

4) There are a lot of people who do a substantial amount of pure volunteer work. I know many people who volunteer 15++ hours per week within the retirement community and the community as a whole. Our community relies on having a lot of volunteers as a monitor and sponsoring a number of events.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Bette

Most people in a 55+ don't need their old income. With a pension and SS a part time job at minimum wage is what they need.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 PM

4,355 posts, read 3,689,532 times
I think the Villages is different from most over 55 communities due to its size. One difference is they have weekly and monthly rentals. This means a lot of different people coming and going. In other communities rentals maybe be 6 months or a year as a minimum so the population is more stable.

You might want to list your occupation if you will be needing to get clients from your fellow residences. Also check out the zoning and working from home rules.

Now to answer your question. If you are working for your current employer from home (your over 55 home) I do not think you will have any problem. You will just have to adjust your recommendation activity to meet your work requirements. I think this is somewhat common for the first year or two of a move.

If you are working at a local business on say a 8 to 5 job, again I do not think it will matter. You just won't be able to participate in 8 to 5 activities.

If you can bring your job with your then do that. If you need to get a job or develop a business then you will need to determine if you can be successful doing that. I would not be optimistic.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:38 PM

8,945 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most people in a 55+ don't need their old income. With a pension and SS a part time job at minimum wage is what they need.
The home foreclosure rates in a 55+ development are about the same as in the general public. Do not assume most 55+ are that well off. Many are hurting and need more than a minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement