U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 AM

443 posts, read 280,893 times

Advertisements

Another night owl checking in here. After 30-some years of extreme sleep deprivation, with an early to work job combined with a late to sleep body, retirement is sheer bliss. I stay up reading or fooling around on the piano (no neighbors) or playing on the internet until drifting off around 3 or 4, then sleep until 11 or noon. I do try to gradually move everything up a couple hours if I have a trip coming up where I want to maximize driving during daylight hours. And every now and then something unavoidable gets me up "early" and I remember how it felt those long years of dragging through the day, living on Diet Coke.

Guilt? My hours of sleep are a personal preference, not a moral dividing line.

I have a friend who decided when he retired that he did best on a 25 hour cycle. Every day he would stay up one hour later and sleep one hour later. You had to plan meals or events with him to coincide with where he was in his sleep cycle. At least my friends know not to call before noon, but early morning is fine if you feel inclined to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
Late sleepers, unite!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
I agree with the 35 or 38 years of severe sleep deprivation due to my working, and that retirement is now bliss because of no longer being forced to arise at 6:15am or 6:30am!!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 AM

443 posts, read 280,893 times
Cliff Edwards sings Herman Hupfeld's "Night Owl." http://youtu.be/-_QBOlS0s-s

Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 AM

16,414 posts, read 5,349,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I now find it impossible to get up early in the morning. yes, spoiled

I would not call it 'self-indulgence' at all as OP does though. That sounds like a derogatory and puritanical take on choosing when to sleep.

For me, it is just choosing what you wish to do in retirement and what fits your personality, interests, and body clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
Guilt? My hours of sleep are a personal preference, not a moral dividing line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Late sleepers, unite!

Another hardcore night owl thanks the three of you for saying this. I spent many years happily keeping a swing shift schedule at work but assumed that when I retired, I'd go back to "normal" hours. That didn't happen. I've been feeling guilty about it ever since. It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
I hate early morning appointments. I like to lounge around drinking coffee until 10ish or so. We do meet for breakfast a couple times a week.

Yesterday was terrible because we had to rush to the ER with mom. Missed my usual quota of coffee. Dang hospital cafeteria closed at 9. What kind of place doesn't have coffee!!!! She and the rest of us survived to live and whine another day.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,374,443 times
I am AMAZED after having been at work by 04:30am EVERY M-F how quickly I learned to enjoy to "sleep in". Of course, that hormonal up from 2-4am still is an issue (as it was before retirement), but now I can go back to bed and sleep until 9am without ANY issue!

I guess the BIGGEST thing about my 13 months of retirement is NOT being sleep deprived. Nap when I want to, no problem!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
You guys make me feel like I fit right in. Sleep is erratic & I did feel guilty at times, until I told myself I was entitled.

I'm off to sleep now. Good night.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
I go to bed early, 10-11, and get up early, 5-6:30 I've always been a morning person and get up as soon as it's light. The grocery store aisles are empty when I shop early and when I'm asked if an early appointment time is okay, they are almost apologetic offering it. I love living in an area with a large retirement population, from my observations, many aren't early risers.

My best friend is a night owl, she put room darkening shades and white noise machines in her kids rooms until the time they started school. She was the first night owl that I knew. She loved nothing better than going to the grocery store when the aisles were empty too, but she liked going after midnight when we got off from working an evening shift together. I would be exhausted and she was just hitting her stride by then. We swung on opposite spectrums, but liked the same things.

My Dad was a stickler for getting up early and beating the crowds, even on vacation. How we hated that as kids and now I'm just like him.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-21-2016 at 04:39 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 04:22 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,851,819 times
When I wake up which can be anytime but 5 is probably a target time for my body to naturally wake up and stay up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement