U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:56 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,203,046 times

Advertisements

I go to bed early and get up early. Usually in bed by 10pm ... get up at 5am .... every day .. doesn't matter with few exceptions. I like my early morning time to read, drink coffee, exercise etc. I may watch a bit of TV between 7pm and bed time but mostly I stay busy doing other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:18 AM

126 posts, read 138,141 times
I usually go to bed by 9 and get up at 4am so I can put in 20 miles of bike riding. My "rest" days, though, I sleep in until 7 or 8.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
I have always liked being able to "sleep in" and retirement has been a pure joy for that. I don't usually go to bed till about 1 a.m., sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

But ever since I adopted my cat GG, well, everything is so different now. She is an early riser (5 a.m. 'ish) and won't settle down till I'm up and feeding her followed by some play time. Her kibble is always available, but she wants some wet food first thing. At first I hated it, my other cat was older and slept as long as I did (at least I think she did).

I'm hoping once GG gets a bit older, she won't have a need to get up early.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 AM

6,562 posts, read 7,986,401 times
Clearly none of the posters here has a dog. Wake up time is daybreak, no matter the season. But that doesn't mean I can't go back to bed with a coffee and a good book. Or settle back for a little 30 min nap later in the morning. Or spend an hour on the computer before really getting going. Yes it is totally self indulgent. And doesn't cost a penny.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:02 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Clearly none of the posters here has a dog. Wake up time is daybreak, no matter the season. But that doesn't mean I can't go back to bed with a coffee and a good book. Or settle back for a little 30 min nap later in the morning. Or spend an hour on the computer before really getting going. Yes it is totally self indulgent. And doesn't cost a penny.
I have 8 dogs. My newest one was having to go at 2 or so every night. Then of course the rest of them start yipping and yapping to go too.

No way could I do this if I had to get up at a certain time.

It's erratic, but I usually manage to go back to sleep until 8 or so. Then days like today, when, no, no rest for the weary. I just can't go to sleep. I've been up most of the night tossing and turning.

This dog is a big goofball. Found him at the local nursing home, young pup. I've had him neutered, vaccinated, etc. house broken, crate trained. Going to have to find him a permanent home with a young energetic family. He's a ranch type dog, hound, red healer mix. Deserves to be kept busy to expend his energy. The daily walks are okay for now. Rides well in a vehicle.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,314,379 times
I have an almost 10 week old scottish terrier puppy, Thistle. She actually let me sleep until 7:30 this morning. The night befoe we were up and out in the snow at 3:30 am. Before her we kept no schedule at all, except to often wake up to glorious sunrises.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
I often wake up before 7:00 and have this lazy habit of reaching for my laptop and while in bed reading the headline news articles in maybe seven or eight online news sources, check in on CD forum, write emails, and sip coffee. I feel totally decadent while I do this. I know one of my sisters is out the door by 9:00 am to go to an exercise class and I feel foolish still lounging around at that time. It feels like wasted time sometimes, and I keep vowing to get moving earlier and don't know why I don't. The frigid cold outside kind of invites this.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM

480 posts, read 507,672 times
For most of the year we rise with the sun and retire when it does, too. Not winter, though. In the PNW, the hours of sunlight are too few; plus you usually can't tell when it's up anyway!

Not HAVING to get up at a particular time in the morning and letting your bodies find a natural rhythm, is one of the best perks of being retired, IMO.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 AM

11,092 posts, read 12,478,899 times
I have two dogs so I am up at 7am every single morning to let them out and take them for a walk. 20 below zero, a blizzard, pouring rain, doesn't matter. Anyway gets the heart pumping. I'm in bed by 10, not much of a night person.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM

3,965 posts, read 2,037,502 times
No alarm clock here, unless I have an early morning service technician appointment, or a doctor's appointment that can't be scheduled in the afternoon (two of those in the past two weeks - ugh.) For years I got up anywhere between 5 AM and 6:30 AM to go to work, depending on my commute time, and it didn't really bother me (except for the period when I picked up the town commuter bus to the naval base at 6 AM). Now getting up early is a chore. Most of the time I wake up at 4 AM anyway when the ice pack I went to sleep with has thawed out, so I get up and get a new one for my neck pain. Sometimes I will have to put an additional one on around 7 AM, and then I tell the cats that they will NOT bet getting fed until later (even though they have tons of kibble available, they all want that AM wet food, lol.) Much consternation usually results, and the smallest one will bang on the bedroom door until I shout at her. Fun times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement